Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #1 
TeacherTeapot

Filter isue

Today, after doing a water change, Beau keeps getting himself stuck to the filter. I have a Marina i25 internal filter, and it's never been an issue. He's always avoided the intake before now. (He loves to play in the current of the return though) Is there anything I can do to maybe lessen the impact of the intake? Does anyone have experience with this kind of filter that can help?

I know that most people recommend wrapping a nylon around the intake, but I've also heard of taping some of it off.

I've included a pic of what the filter looks like for reference.

TeacherTeapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #2 
waterdog

You could put a sponge around the intake to protect him. What size tank is this in?
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #3 
TeacherTeapot

The tank is sadly a 2-gal. He loves it though, every morning he's built a new little bubble nest in one of the corners. I don't know if they sell sponge filters big enough to go around my filter do they?

He's picked up on the fact that I don't like him near the intake (my loudly saying "Don't even think about it!" is probably his first clue) But now every time I leave the room I'm worried that I'm going to come back to him stuck to the intake.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #4 
waterdog

Nothing to be sad about. One of my tanks is 2.5 and it is fine.

IMO that's really too much filter for that size tank. He may just be getting worn out from the flow and not able to fight it as well. You may want to consider switching to a real sponge filter. I have one in my 2.5 and it is fantastic.

You can see it in my photo albums in the tanks album, or go further down this thread to an article I wrote Sponge Filters; Why and How.

It's an option is all I am saying.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #5 
TeacherTeapot

I like the idea of DIY, but as a temporary solution until I can afford it (I start a new job monday) would rubber-banding a sponge to the intake work? They sell relatively soft ones at the dollar store in packages of 10.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #6 
waterdog

It might. Just be sure it is NOT an antibacterial sponge.
I use the ones that are made for washing cars.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #7 
TeacherTeapot

I don't believe they are, but the picture online is really small and hard to read. I'll double check before buying though. Tonight, I'm just going to unplug his filter. One night shouldn't hurt him.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #8 
Quills

This filter works well for 5 gallon. Anything below that won't do as well. Also I surrounded it with a lot of anarchis, so that way my Betta does not even bother coming close to the intake. He does however enjoy resting on the anarchis and have his fins be dragged towards the filter. I did however have it inside the 2.5 gal, and it is too small and because of such tiny space the filter will create a strong current.
Quills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #9 
sparkyjoe

I have one of these is a 3.5 gallon and it works well. I have attached a bit of filter material along the output using a rubber band. It helps displace some of the water flow. But my boy is a plakat so he doesn't have the long fins to wear him out.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #10 
TeacherTeapot

It's not pretty, but it seems to be doing the job rather nicely. He hasn't been getting stuck to the intake.