Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #1 
prodrumernate

male and female bettas in 50+ gal tank

pretty much what the title says..just curious..i want to get 1 large tank for all my fish..i was thinking of atleast a 50 gallon and housing my 2 males and 1 female in it..plenty of hiding places of course as i want to have a nice planted AQ as 1 of my males loves the plants i stuffed on his side.then it hit me about seeing if its possible..id like to have all my fish together in 1 large community tank.plus easier to maintain than my 3 tanks i have.

any one done this?know if its possible(i know ill have to keep an eye on them for the first couple weeks,i had a sorority before) any suggestions?any1 done this?is it possible?all opinions/comments are surly welcomed and greatly appreciated :)
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Hmm... I think it could be possible, but I don't like the idea of two males being together especially with a female to fight over. If it is very well planted maybe...
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #3 
prodrumernate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Hmm... I think it could be possible, but I don't like the idea of two males being together especially with a female to fight over. If it is very well planted maybe...
i was thinking the samething..i thought i read before some1 did it but wasnt sure and im too lazy to search on it rite now ;) but i think u are rite.i do need to keep in mind the hormones being released in the water.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

Unless you want them to breed frequently (and these fry will not survive in great numbers) and get torn up I would never do it.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #5 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
Umm... 50 gallons is not big enough. Why waste the space? put males in separate or divided tanks, and you could put some more females in the 50 gallon and some corycats, platies, neons, or swordtails.
fishy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #6 
prodrumernate

they are all currently in divided 10 gallons...i do plan on keeping a 10 gallon set up and originally planned on putting the males in it since they already r and the female in the 50+ along with my other fish so i can take those tanks down and have a large tank. :) but with what every1 is saying.i may end up doing that anyways
Old 01-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #7 
Kytkattin

While some people, such as OldFishLady, have managed to keep males and females together, these tend to be spawns raised together, not a random assortment of fish from the local pet store or other place. She also, I believe, tends to breed less aggressive fish in general.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #8 
prodrumernate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
While some people, such as OldFishLady, have managed to keep males and females together, these tend to be spawns raised together, not a random assortment of fish from the local pet store or other place. She also, I believe, tends to breed less aggressive fish in general.
oh yes..i heard that she does do that..of course my bettas werent raised together.all bought at separate times even from different stores..i may end up keeping the males in their 10 gallon and just putting the female in a larger tank with my other fish..though shes somewhat aggressive but not too bad. :)
Old 02-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

I would definitely advise against it. The risks are just too great. However, I think your female would definitely love all that space and, if she can tolerate the community fish, go for it. No males, though! :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #10 
prodrumernate

i think she would enjoy it for sure and wouldnt mind the community fish.of course at first she may not. but my rosy red minnows are fin nippers from what i learned.so id be worried about them.though they were in a small tank and not a lot of hiding places for my bettas.though that has changed lately.and i surly dont mind spending the extra money adding decor ;)