Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2013, 01:42 AM   #1 
floriann

Turning a gumball machine into a fish bowl

Hello!

I recently saw on Pinterest someone made an old gumball machine into a fish bowl for a betta. It looked awesome and I wanted to do the same. Would the bowl be big enough? Does it need a filter and bubbler? I don't mind changing the water often because I already have a goldfish tank and I'm used to it
floriann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:58 AM   #2 
Karebear13

If its more than a gallon then it should be fine. You don't need a filter if you don't want one. Keep in mind if its small then you will probably have to do multiple water changes a week. ANd you are really gonna need a heater for the tank at least
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:59 AM   #3 
Saphira101

can you post a link to the pintrest thing?? I'd love to see it!!
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #4 
waterdog

Don't forget air holes in the top!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #5 
BettaPirate

I actually had a fish tank that looked like a bubble gum machine when I was young, we kept a goldfish in it because I was fish dumb back then. That goldfish lived for 5 years though.
BettaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #6 
floriann

Here's the instructions to make your own!
floriann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #7 
LadyVictorian

That one looks too small for even a betta honestly.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #8 
Sivan

While a gumball machine may look cool, most artistic designs for Betta fish tanks are more harmful than beneficial to the fish. A good tank would be one that covers the animal's needs. If you could find a gumball machine that allows for each and every point below, then it can be a suitable home:

Betta fish are required to have:

1. At least 1 gallon of water with frequent water changes.
2. A heater that can provide a steady temperature, a need that is not found in many cheap ones that fit into small tanks.
3. Hiding places in order to not feel stressed, such as the use of a cave and/or silk plants.
4. Plenty of air and surface access (since they go to the surface for air sometimes), which requires long horizontal spaces. Should there be no access to air, the fish will drown.
5. A thermometer to monitor water temperature.
6. Room to exercise.
7. A day/night schedule, provided by an artificial or natural light source, though tanks should never be placed in direct sunlight.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #9 
tekkguy

I'm actually in the middle of turning a bubble gum machine into a fishbowl. Same machine as the instructions that were linked. I'm adding LED lights in the top, and hopefully a port for air in the bottom if I can figure it out.

I wouldn't keep a betta in it, though - those bowls are tiny. I'll probably plant it and toss some shrimp in it.

I'll post instructions and photos when I'm done, including instructions for the LED lighting (which is insanely cheap!). Probably won't get around to finishing it for a couple of weeks though.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #10 
Elsewhere

This is such a cute idea! My mum will hate me, because now I'm scouring the Internet for one of those HUGE gumball machines... My dad has been wanting to have a DIY project like that American Restoration show and said he would help me >:D Those things must be big enough XD
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote