Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #1 
Sparrowhawk

My Planted Tanks

Here are some photos of my first go at planted tanks. They're not NPTs, just regular planted tanks. My boyfriend and I were planning to set up one per day this long weekend, but ended up doing them all yesterday! Yay! Well, when I say we... I mean he steered clear of me in my "work-face" mode and lent a hand when I needed one. I swear, I really did want to work together, but apparently I get stuff done better and quicker alooooone...

All of them are 3.9 gallons, two are inhabited (attempting fish-in cycles with the sponge filters) and one is uninhabited until a Thai import gets here (giving fishless cycling a go in the meantime). A list of all the plants that are in the tanks:
  • Various anubias
  • Willow moss
  • Java fern
  • Water sprite
  • Duckweed
  • Crypt. wendtii
Substrate is black quartz gravel, and it's the first gravel that I really like the look of, yay! The lighting is LED lamps I bought from eBay. I'm really not sure of the colour temperature, so I'm looking to upgrade to 6500k as soon as I can afford it. But yes! Without further ado, here's some photos:

Feyd's tank, front view:

Side view:

Weehawk's tank, front view:

Side view:

The two tanks where they live on my dresser:

The currently uninhabited tank:

Bit of a closeup:

And because I can, Weehawk being a cutiepie derpy thing:

Unfortunately Falkor doesn't get a planted tank, because of his chronic tail-biting and apparent liking for tiny tanks (he seems so much happier since I moved him into the 2 gallon hospital tank, so I decided to keep him in there, and we've decided to do that tank up all artificial and outlandish, so it can be interesting but still safe to medicate if we need to do so again. Will probably photodump when that's done in Falkor's photo threat, haha.

Last edited by Sparrowhawk; 02-08-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Wow your tanks look amazing!!!!!!!! a true inspiration
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:29 AM   #3 
Sparrowhawk

Eep! Thank you! I'm just relieved they weren't a disaster, being my first try, haha!

(Just ordered some subwassertang, I've heard it spreads like mad if given half the chance but it's just soooo pretty. >.<)
Old 02-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #4 
Betta Bro

AMAZING!! Great job!
Betta Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:48 AM   #5 
veggiegirl

Your first try!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! look like a pro to me
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:49 AM   #6 
Sparrowhawk

Thank you! I do worry that the tubes on the sponge filters are too close to the surface... I hope they'll still work...?
Old 02-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #7 
leahleigh

Soooo jealous. Mine's just a wee 5 gallon with an apple snail and a betta, but I hope to eventually ditch the fake ornaments and go all planted and all wood. I loooove the look of your tanks, and your bettas! Gorgeous. :)

I would love it if you kept updating. <3
leahleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #8 
Sparrowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahleigh View Post
Soooo jealous. Mine's just a wee 5 gallon with an apple snail and a betta, but I hope to eventually ditch the fake ornaments and go all planted and all wood. I loooove the look of your tanks, and your bettas! Gorgeous. :)

I would love it if you kept updating. <3
Thank you!

As for going all planted and all wood... Do eeeet! Ditching the fake ornaments (barring the skulls, I really like those, haha!) was the best thing I did for the appearance and "feel" if that makes sense of all the tanks!

I'll update when there's some growth to be seen, but that's unlikely to happen for some time with most of the plants I've got going, especially with less-than-ideal lighting. But when there's something to update, I shall! ^.^
Old 02-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

I love subwassertang! I have half that, half java moss in Odysseus's tank and it looks so nice. :) My shrimp love it too!

The tanks look lovely, and Weehawk is adorable.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #10 
Sparrowhawk

Yay! Can't wait till it arrives, hehe. Glad to hear shrimp love it, I'm hoping to add a couple to each tank once the cycles are established. ^.^

May I ask what kind of shrimp you have? I've been looking into glass shrimp and Darwin Algae shrimp. Can't have cherry shrimp 'cause Weehawk goes berserk at anything red, it'd be a death sentence for sure, so I'm interested to hear what works for you.
^.^