Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #11 
Bombalurina

Unfortunately for you, I have cherries! My bettas learned to live with them, and the shrimp learned to survive. Eventually. :p

I have a friend who has long-nosed Darwin shrimp, which do well enough in her tanks with bettas, although they won't breed in freshwater, I believe.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:20 AM   #12 
Sparrowhawk

Ahh! I guess I'll just have to give it a go, see how it goes with each of them and how many will learn to use the cover provided... Hrmm!
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:03 AM   #13 
Sparrowhawk

So I've had to remove the crypts as they've never really behaved, and I noticed today that they're melting again, so I got fed up and just took them out. Gave me more room to add wisteria, bacopa and subwassertang to all the tanks, and unfortunately I had an awful lot of difficulty planting the stems, so they look a lot less deliberate now. Wahhh! I still like them, though. Just disappointing is all. >.<

Pictures to come tomorrow!
Old 02-12-2013, 02:36 AM   #14 
Sparrowhawk

Nevermind, photos today! Just some quick cruddy ones because I'm pretty tired. >.<

Old 02-12-2013, 03:34 AM   #15 
Mr2KiEu

Nice x 3 tanks! What brand are those tanks? Measurements? I've never seen those tanks here in the U.S. Where did you buy them from? and did it come with the light? thanks!
Mr2KiEu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:43 AM   #16 
Sparrowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2KiEu View Post
Nice x 3 tanks! What brand are those tanks? Measurements? I've never seen those tanks here in the U.S. Where did you buy them from? and did it come with the light? thanks!
Thanks! I can't remember the brand name, I think it's something like VitaPet or similar, they're el-cheapo tanks from a store called Big W here in Australia, and measure 12 x 9 x 8 inches. The lights did not come with the tank, and are from eBay, though better quality lights are available for similar prices and I'm kicking myself for not investing in better ones with my almost obsessive interest in plants now, hehe!
Old 02-12-2013, 03:49 AM   #17 
LittleBettaFish

Your tanks are looking great. Anubias is one of my favourite aquarium plants. Looks like your current set-up should should grow out very nicely.

I have found if I shove Seachem root tabs under my crypts it tended to stop them melting so much. Once they establish themselves I have found crypts to be hardy as heck.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:54 AM   #18 
Sparrowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Your tanks are looking great. Anubias is one of my favourite aquarium plants. Looks like your current set-up should should grow out very nicely.

I have found if I shove Seachem root tabs under my crypts it tended to stop them melting so much. Once they establish themselves I have found crypts to be hardy as heck.
Thank you! I stupidly just tossed the crypts, but that's a good point, I should have thought of root tabs! I guess I've just got more room to plant stems now, which might work out better in the long run if my lighting proves adequate, I absolutely adore the bacopa but am terrified of it just dying on me!
Old 02-12-2013, 04:03 AM   #19 
LittleBettaFish

Not sure what suburb you are in, but I have a fair amount of Hydrilla which grows with only very indirect natural lighting in some of my tanks. I originally got it from Dave at Aquagreen.

If you aren't too far away from me I can always just snip you off a few strands and you can take it for free. It grows really fast under high lighting but mine seems to be doing equally as well with whatever small amount of lighting comes through my window.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:10 AM   #20 
Sparrowhawk

I'm in South Yarra/Hawksburn, so fairly central, depending on where you are.

That'd be super-awesome! ^.^

Last edited by Sparrowhawk; 02-12-2013 at 04:13 AM.