Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2013, 01:21 AM   #11 
LittleBettaFish

PETA is really terrible Veggiegirl. I don't think they are as extreme in Australia, but overseas in America they protest everything and try and make laws that would end the existence of domesticated pets.

PETA's goal is to completely wipe out all domesticated animals. At the core of it that is their only goal.

A lot of people are very scared by them as an organisation as they have a lot of backing financially, and a lot of celebrities endorse them.

I feel with an organisation like PETA that you cannot support one part of it, without supporting the other.

Animal welfare is a great cause, animal rights is not.

Also the RSPCA is fairly bad as well here. I have heard/read a lot of not so savoury stories from dog breeders.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:45 AM   #12 
veggiegirl

PETA do stop extremely cruel animal testing and expose companies that do it so that has to be a good thing right?

And they educate schools that still perform extremely cruel dissection practices on rats etc so that they now use online animated dissections again this is surely a good thing?

Also they encourage more humane slaughter methods of animals for human consumption such as CAK with chooks.......

surely all of these actions contribute to less suffering on the animals behalf?

I certainly do not wish to argue with anyone on here over the subject of PETA but as a vegan (a vegan that gave up animal products because of animal welfare issues) I was always lead to believe that PETA did a lot of good as far as animal welfare is concerned? I take it that just as the SPCA in some areas are much better than in others that PETA is the same?

Most of the people I personally know that have a problem with PETA usually only have a negative view of them because PETA protests about the slaughter of animals for human consumption and those people are meat eaters and therefore that is why they have a problem with them.......as a vegan I have been criticized my whole life for believing that an animals life could possibly be equal in value to that of a humans and can't help but feel that some peoples negative opinions of PETA are similar to those that I have endured.........

Perhaps in America and so forth things are different and PETA are not what they make out to be........

Again, I respect all of your opinions so please I wish no disrespect with my posts but wished to share my views
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:49 AM   #13 
xShainax

Did you know many PETA members are hypocrites and eat meat? Yeah, they are wonderful *Sarcasm*
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:00 AM   #14 
Luimeril

PETA has the right idea. :I but they go about it all wrong. i was watching videos they take online, and learned that, not only do they over-exaggerate things a lot(like filming when things LOOK the worst, but may not be), but they freaked out over bettas being shipped in the tiny bags. :I c'mon... they HAVE to be shipped like that. it reduces their stress, and they can't be shipped in bigger bags filled with others like other fish can be. AND they're put in cups right away when they reach the stores.

so... i don't support PETA. i agree with what they're trying to do(end animal cruelty), but i don't support what they do.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:01 AM   #15 
veggiegirl

My point is that not all PETA members are the same........
Old 02-09-2013, 02:04 AM   #16 
xShainax

And 99% of them are hypercritical d-bags who don't care about animals and don't practice what they preach
Old 02-09-2013, 02:06 AM   #17 
veggiegirl

I agree with what you are saying Luimeril but I do have to add one thing about them over reacting towards the small bags that bettas are shipped in..... well I do not know if all bettas are shipped in the same sized bags but here the bags are the size of your average playing card and sometimes the water in the bags does not even fully cover the betta......
Old 02-09-2013, 02:09 AM   #18 
Luimeril

the bags i saw at my local pet store were just big enough to let the betta move a little. they were maybe a few inches long, and had just enough water to cover the betta no matter how the bag turned. even when i've gotten bettas in the mail from friends, it was a small bag with enough water to cover him/her no matter how the bag turned. they're only in the mail for a few days, though, so it's not too stressful on them. 8U
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:11 AM   #19 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
the bags i saw at my local pet store were just big enough to let the betta move a little. they were maybe a few inches long, and had just enough water to cover the betta no matter how the bag turned. even when i've gotten bettas in the mail from friends, it was a small bag with enough water to cover him/her no matter how the bag turned. they're only in the mail for a few days, though, so it's not too stressful on them. 8U
Exactly. I got two betta's from here and they were in tiny bags. Just enough water to cover them.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:14 AM   #20 
veggiegirl

xshainax unless you have actually been a PETA member in the past I do not believe that you have the right to make that assumption about 99% of PETA member not practicing what they preach, no doubt as you say some of them are hypocrites that do not practice what they preach but that does not mean that a majority of them are like that........... some PETA members agree on the whole with PETA's aims but it does not mean that they believe everything PETA do is right.