Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #1 
Senshine

Saving sick betta with fungus

On Monday I will be rescuing a fish from work that hasn't been doing well at all. All the information that I have is second hand so it might not be completely true, but I will be able to confirm when I get him.
I've been told he hasn't been eating or pooping, he's very listless, and he has a sort of fungal growth on his gills and under his 'chin' area. This has all been going on since the beginning of January.
I looked at the thread about treatment for diseases and got the list of medicine I can use, and I have some aquarium salt but its probably 6 or so years old. Will I need to get new salt?
What is the best first step to helping this guy?
I can get anything I need to treat him over the weekend, so a list of supplies would be wonderful.
Thank you.
Senshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:03 AM   #2 
callistra

If he's a work fish he's probably been neglected in horrible water for a long time.

He'll need something you can treat him in, which doesn't need to be big but it needs to be big enough you can heat it with a proper heater, which means at least a full gallon, ideally 2 so you can use a good adjustable 25w heater. Are you needing a list of supplies or meds?

Far as meds go I would look for a broad spectrum antibiotic that also works on fungal infections (this could be fungus or columnaris) so that would be Kanaplex or Furan 2.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #3 
Senshine

From what I know he hasn't been too terribly neglected other then not being treated probably from lack of knowledge.
This is the list of meds I got:
-Jungle 'Fungus Eliminator'
-API Erythromycin
-API Fungus Cure
-API Triple Sulfa
-Mardels Maracyn II
So between those and the two you listed, which should look for first? Or should I try treating him with aquarium salt first?
I was thinking about getting a smaller bowl (probably at least 1 gallon) if I'm going to be changing the water everyday.

Do I start treating his water for a couple days before I try to figure out his eating problems?
Old 02-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #4 
callistra

sodium chloride, nitrofurazone, furazolidone, potassium dichromate? Try the Jungle if yes.

I'd go with Erythromycin as a backup if you don't see major improvement after a week. I would treat a full week a minimum and count on going a second.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #5 
Senshine

If you're asking if those are the ingredients in it I have no idea haha. The list is from a stickied thread on here and it didn't list the ingredients of each.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #6 
Lyshymo

Well, I'm not too terribly sure since I haven't seen the fish, but pending on the fungal growth, if it looks like cotton coming out of his gills it's actually a bacterial growth called Columnaris (I bought a fish that had it and he only survived for 4 days in my care, however I wasn't aware he had it and everyone kept telling me he was stressed and would be fine in days so I never started a treatment although my gut instinct told me to do something -.-).

If it ends up being Columnaris, I was recommended to do a mixture of Maracyn and Maracyn-Two as well as using Aquarium Salt. If it's Columnaris, the temperature should be about 75-76 degrees as bacteria grows in warm conditions (and as a common sense rule, the water needs to be clean, but I'm sure you could figure that out).

I'm not too knowledgeable about other diseases as I haven't came across any others. :S Hope that helps (if that's what he has).

Last edited by Lyshymo; 02-09-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Lyshymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #7 
Senshine

I was asking someone about him just now and apparently it's not cottony at all like I was first told.. It is a white growth (like opaque white, not translucent like the cottony stuff is) under his head on his "chin" area.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #8 
callistra

Maracyns in combo are not your best bet. A lot of columnaris are resistant to that, which is why I suggest other meds which are more likely to work. The med most likely to work I believe is Kanaplex, followed by Triple Sulfa then Furan 2 (JFE is like Furan 2 plus some extras).

Well you said you have the meds.. so look on the box?
Old 02-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #9 
Senshine

I never said I had any meds.. it is just a list that was on the treatment thread.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #10 
callistra

When you said "I got" I thought you actually had.. My mistake.

Well in that case look for Kanaplex, followed by Furan 2 or the JFE would work as well. IMHO it's kind of a toss up between the Triple Sulfa and Furan 2. Just depends on how your strain is working. You can also combine Kanaplex with Furan 2 for a more rounded approach.