Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #1 
Saphira101

Question Boycott or be quiet?....

Hey guys, I've noticed how much we're complaining about what terrible care pet stores give to their fish, yet we still buy from them. We hate them so much, but we're supporting their company, and nothing's going to change about the way they treat their fish. Even if we talk them into giving us fish free because they're sick, it still translates as a sold fish. I was thinking... Perhaps we should either stop criticizing them about their bad care and keep on buying fish, (without being hypocrites) or boycott them completely. This is only a thought, and it was not meant to hurt anyone's feelings. I suppose I just feel that we might think a bit more about our actions. If we really hate them so much, why do we still buy stuff from them?

Again, this was not meant to hurt anyone in any way.

~Saphira
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:36 AM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

I personally only ever go to reputable stores whose livestock is well-treated. I don't even go into stores that treat their fish poorly because it removes the temptation for me to go in and 'rescue' everything I see.

I know this is not an option for everyone, but I feel you can't really complain if you are going there and pick up a sick fish for a discounted price and then go off and buy it a new tank and a heater and some fish food all at the same store.

I've always wondered whether writing in the thumbs up/thumbs down or personal opinion segment of the local paper condemning particular stores would lead to the store trying to rectify the situation.

It could be an option for those who like me tend to not want to cause waves or get into a full-on verbal confrontation.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:58 AM   #3 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphira101 View Post
Hey guys, I've noticed how much we're complaining about what terrible care pet stores give to their fish, yet we still buy from them. We hate them so much, but we're supporting their company, and nothing's going to change about the way they treat their fish. Even if we talk them into giving us fish free because they're sick, it still translates as a sold fish. I was thinking... Perhaps we should either stop criticizing them about their bad care and keep on buying fish, (without being hypocrites) or boycott them completely. This is only a thought, and it was not meant to hurt anyone's feelings. I suppose I just feel that we might think a bit more about our actions. If we really hate them so much, why do we still buy stuff from them?

Again, this was not meant to hurt anyone in any way.

~Saphira
Great topic. I really like the fact that you brought this up. There is probably a couple thousands of people on this forum( not really sure how many) but we could all sign some type of petition and send it to the big stores and ask them for better treatment for the poor animals maybe go and take pictures of the precarious conditions that the fish live in, and show them how dirty the betta cups are and how many dead fish floating in their tanks.
Last time I was at the LFS I commented to an employee that they were a bunch of dead fish in the tanks and she said if she wanted me to bring them back to life to what I simple respond: no but taking them out and properly disposal would do.
Also I had one employee telling me that why bother buying medicine that was more expensive than the fish itself, why not just flush the sick fish and buy a new one.
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:51 AM   #4 
brookeandbubba

The reason why we buy from them is becuase its easier to buy them in a store than from online.. also thereneed to be laws on how people at stores treat our beautifull little jewls. They should keep them in slightly better conditions. But it might not be posible becuase the fish are so mean to eaxhouther and cant be all put together like the outher fishes
brookeandbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #5 
xShainax

I can't buy them online since I don't have a PP account. So I am forced to buy from petstores
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #6 
eemmais

The only place I can buy bettas that isn't 3 hours away is petco/petsmart. Although they are kept in tiny cups those are temporary. The one thing that really bothers me though is that all the petcos/petsmarts near me buy a ridiculous amount of bettas at a time and I'd say maybe a quarter of them actually get sold.
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #7 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
My petsmart is actually pretty good. They cycle their male bettas through the quieter tanks and clean the cups regualarly. I haven't seen any dead fish and the small animals seem well tended.

Walmart is the bane of my existence for anything pet related. The fish aisle is set up so you can't avoid it when getting anything you need in pets. We go there once a week for cat litter.
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #8 
brookeandbubba

petsmarts are all diffent , the one i got bubba from was good the betta waters were clean and blue , there were no old dusty cups and most of the bettash didnt have diseases , not counting finrot tho,, but the one i got brooke from was terible nasty , the waters were brown , the fishes tails were all small and the fish were sick looking, it wasnt cool , so diffrent places and stores care for them diffrently , petsmart is normaly good tho , kinda
brookeandbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

I don't understand how some places can justify the care they give when other places are doing so much better. For example, the largest local chain for me is Petbarn. They don't sell live animals except for fish and hermit crabs. Their fishtanks are clean, if overstocked, and dead or ill fish are removed and disposed of/treated as necessary. The staff are frequently clueless, but all encourage regular cleaning and the largest tank you can afford. Bettas are either kept in 250ml-ish (that's about a cup size) rectangular tank in a set-up with drip filtration and the capacity to be heated (I'm not sure how often the tanks are heated, but it's better than unfiltered cups). Non-aggressive ones are kept in the community tanks so have heating and plenty of room to swim and explore. The shop does sell some pathetically tiny tanks, but also has some really decent ones that are really attractive, if massively overpriced.

Compare this to the Pet and Aquarium Warehouse, or Pet's Paradise, where live animals of all kinds live in disgusting conditions, the staff know nothing (I was recommended a common pleco for my 16 gal, which is only 14.5 inches wide), many fish are dead and the bettas are kept in tiny, dirty little bowls. Sick bettas are simply put into clean(er) bowls instead of being offered heating, and 5 litres, or just under 1.5 gals, is the recommended tank size for a goldfish. The Warehouse even stocks dyed fish.

I no longer go into these shops except to see if conditions are improved, and refuse to buy anything from them. My heart bleeds for the poor animals I have to leave behind, but if I save them I'll be encouraging the shops to buy more and continue to cycle of misery. I've tried writing letters of complaint, but to no avail, so I simply encourage my friends to boycott these places and ask them to spread the word.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #10 
stuntman2946

a good example i saw was someone talking about how they acutally got there local wal mart to stop selling fish all together. since the revenew from the fish is conciderably less than what they make from the accessroies.

i think this should be somthing people try and do, instead of grouping all of them into one catagory of good or bad judge each store by the way they do things. my LFS is really good to there bettas and keep there water really clean. but and ive been to several walmarts who have a night shifter who will clean the tanks and keep the bettas and other fish really healthy using products from there own shelves to feed and take care of the fish.

if you get enough ppl worked up about you local walmart or fish store they will eventually stop carrying the fish. you just have to go about it the right way
stuntman2946 is offline   Reply With Quote