Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #11 
registereduser

It doesn't matter what I do but I'll tell you anyway

I feed them once a day about 8 pellets each (I think some of the girls eat more than that) On weekends, if I remember, they get frozen brine shrimp or frozen blood worms. I don't fast them.

I think Irving did some tail biting once but it's growing again. His fins are super long and fluffy. My first ever betta recently died but I doubt it was because I fed him too much.

works for us.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #12 
finnfinnfriend

Is it typical for the species to get stressed from being fasted? If fed once a day, can they digest their food in 20-24 hours?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #13 
Myates

Bettas naturally fast a day or so in the wild - but that mainly depends upon how much food is around.. as bettas are, by nature, opportunistic eaters and will eat throughout the day.. so their "fasting" just depends upon how much food is around.

Since you are feeding him less than recommended, I wouldn't fast for a day.. they need a good amount of food for energy and nutrition, and with limited already I wouldn't give them any less.

I know you are not wanting to get into the feeding once a day - but to answer your question properly, I had to get into the fact that they, by nature, need to eat multiple times a day and why fasting when on a limited diet isn't ideal.

But that's my personal opinion and from my studies/experience.. I try to base my ways off of their nature, how they are meant to feed/live/etc.. I feed mine a ton of food generally, but it's spread all throughout the day, sometimes skip a meal, some days a little less, mix up different pellets, frozen, homemade, live foods, etc. But that's just how I do it for my fish.. one of the reasons why I believe in all the years I've only had two issues with health (one was a bacteria issue brought into my fish room). Good food and good water care. :)

He could be biting his fins due to not enough nutrition- his body feels it is lacking.. :) Just a thought.

Last edited by Myates; 02-09-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #14 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post

I feed them once a day about 8 pellets each (I think some of the girls eat more than that) On weekends, if I remember, they get frozen brine shrimp or frozen blood worms. I don't fast them.

I think Irving did some tail biting once but it's growing again. His fins are super long and fluffy. My first ever betta recently died but I doubt it was because I fed him too much.

works for us.

Why doesn't it matter what you do? Your input is valuble to me :)
Old 02-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #15 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Bettas naturally fast a day or so in the wild - but that mainly depends upon how much food is around.. as bettas are, by nature, opportunistic eaters and will eat throughout the day.. so their "fasting" just depends upon how much food is around.

Since you are feeding him less than recommended, I wouldn't fast for a day.. they need a good amount of food for energy and nutrition, and with limited already I wouldn't give them any less.

I know you are not wanting to get into the feeding once a day - but to answer your question properly, I had to get into the fact that they, by nature, need to eat multiple times a day and why fasting when on a limited diet isn't ideal.

But that's my personal opinion and from my studies/experience.. I try to base my ways off of their nature, how they are meant to feed/live/etc.. I feed mine a ton of food generally, but it's spread all throughout the day, sometimes skip a meal, some days a little less, mix up different pellets, frozen, homemade, live foods, etc. But that's just how I do it for my fish.. one of the reasons why I believe in all the years I've only had two issues with health (one was a bacteria issue brought into my fish room). Good food and good water care. :)

He could be biting his fins due to not enough nutrition- his body feels it is lacking.. :) Just a thought.
I feed him 5 pellets a day though. Thats what most people seem to recommend. And I have asked this forum several times if he looks too thin and every time everyone said no...
Old 02-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #16 
finnfinnfriend

Well anyway two people told me not to fast him and one said it's up to me so I guess I will stop fasting him. Other opinions are welcome though :)
Old 02-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #17 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post

works for us.
Oh what kind of pellets do you feed? I feel like mine might be bloated after an 8 pellet meal, but maybe/probably not. I never tried that so I don't know
Old 02-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #18 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
I feed him 5 pellets a day though. Thats what most people seem to recommend. And I have asked this forum several times if he looks too thin and every time everyone said no...
Personally, 5 would be bare minimum I would feed a day.. but my fish aren't really pets except a few. So the nutritional needs for my fish differ than yours. Your guy will be fine overall with 5 pellets a day, it's not going to starve him or malnourish him.

Every one has their own preference, their own ways.. you just need to figure out what is best for your particular fish. There are so many recommendations out there when it comes to feeding any animal, so really it all comes down to you and what you are feeding. The higher the quality the less they need to meet their nutrition guideline as the better the quality the more is actually absorbed. With our dog, she eats Blue Buffalo, which is one of the best out there - she only eats 1-2 cups a day (lab/boarder collie mix).. during winter we will give her some Kibbles n Bits as it's not as good - it is to put a little weight on her because of the filler.. and since it's not as good she gets a bit more of it to equal the nutrition she receives to the Blue Buffalo.

So, you do what you think is best for your fish.. 5 pellets a day isn't starving him, so no worries on that. :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #19 
finnfinnfriend

So you don't fast either?
Old 02-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #20 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Oh what kind of pellets do you feed? I feel like mine might be bloated after an 8 pellet meal, but maybe/probably not. I never tried that so I don't know
New Life Spectrum. I like to see a fat fishy It bothers me when they won't eat or won't eat more than one or 2 pellets
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote