Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #21 
LittleBlueFishlets

Well, you've done what you can. You added Epsom salt to help with the buoyancy issues. You lowered the water level so he can reach the surface more easily.....

Let him stay in a quiet, darkened room tonight. I had two fish with similar symptoms. One didn't make it through the night, but the other did (and is fine now). So you never know.....

You've given him a great home for over two years....
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #22 
MurrellSM

Thanks for caring, LBF and Callistra, you are good souls. :)

it's 10:25 and Oscar is still hanging in there. He got inverted and stuck on his back under the filter a little bit ago, so I netted him and laid him on a good leaf position where he could rest and breathe easily. I'm going to turn the filter off before I go to bed tonight so that the water is calm and doesn't get him stuck in a current.

It brings me solace to know that we've done everything we could... now we'll just keep our fingers crossed and keep him in our prayers. Like you said, you never know. He's a fighter, he's been fighting tooth and nail for 2 days now, so maybe he'll still be there when we wake up. I'll be sure to let you know.

Have a good night... you meant a lot to us with your support today.

Last edited by MurrellSM; 02-09-2013 at 09:27 PM.
MurrellSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #23 
MurrellSM

Well..... "you never know"! Our little Oscar is still hanging on this morning.

We left the filter off and the water as low as possible with the heater still able to be on last night, and he did it! He still looks exhausted and still won't eat, so we're surely not in the clear, but it warmed our hearts to see those little eyeballs this morning!

I'm going to run out and get him some super fresh bloodworms to see if he'll eat a small chunk. I know he's constipated, he hasn't pooped in close to a week now, but he hasn't eaten either, and he looks really weak.

Wanted to share the 'good' news this morning and see if you all had any suggestions.... would you NOT try a piece of bloodworm (he won't touch flakes or pellets)? Should we try the pea thing? I'm reading mixed reviews about that, some saying it can really harm them. Should we do anything to his water or salt, etc? Any and all advice would be most appreciated.

Hang in there, little Oscar, you can do it!!
Old 02-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #24 
LittleBlueFishlets

That's great! I'm glad to hear he's doing better today!

I would not even try feeding him today. Bettas can go quite awhile without food, and eating right now could worsen any bloating and buoyancy issues. You don't need to try peas, either. He's already in the Epsom salt which is a laxative.

Since he's responding well to the Epsom salt... I would go ahead and increase the Epsom salt concentration to 2 teaspoons per gallon. Put some of his tank water in a cup, dissolve the Epsom salt completely, and add it SLOWLY to the tank over the course of about an hour.

---------------------------

Edited to add: I just read some of OldFishLady's posts about using Epsom salt. She recommends using 3 teaspoons per gallon. She also recommends putting plastic wrap over the top of the tank, so the humidity level increases in the air above the water. Your tank is only partially filled, so there will be plenty of air for him to breathe. (She said there needs to be at least an inch of air above the water to do this, so you should be fine with this.)

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 02-10-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #25 
MurrellSM

Ok. I will not go get bloodworms and will not try feeding him any more. His buoyancy is still terrible as he still gets stuck inverted or falls like a rock and struggles to get to the top; I just think lowering the level of the water surface greatly reduced how difficult it was for him and how frantic it looked. He is moving his front little flippers and he looks "ok", but whatever issue it is is still there 100% as he's laying curled up on his side a lot and, like I said, he's getting in some weird positions and slouching on his side a lot due to how quickly he sinks.

I will increase the epson as you said. Thanks again, LBF!
Old 02-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #26 
MurrellSM

He seems SOOOOOO weak! Tough for him to get up, and body looking so flimsy. Today will be day 6 without food, I believe, how long can he go without food?
Old 02-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #27 
LittleBlueFishlets

You may not have seen the edit I made to my post. I added it while you were replying already:

I just read some of OldFishLady's posts about using Epsom salt. She recommends using 3 teaspoons per gallon. She also recommends putting plastic wrap over the top of the tank, so the humidity level increases in the air above the water. Your tank is only partially filled, so there will be plenty of air for him to breathe. (She said there needs to be at least an inch of air above the water to do this, so you should be fine with this.)

They can go a week or more without food. I would just keep the water level low today, increase the Epsom salt concentration, and see what happens.... If he starts looking better later on today and you're concerned that it's been too long since he's eaten, you can try feeding him then.... But I'd give him at least a couple of hours in a higher dosage of Epsom salt. Hopefully, it'll relieve any constipation or bloating that he has.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #28 
MurrellSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
-
Edited to add: I just read some of OldFishLady's posts about using Epsom salt. She recommends using 3 teaspoons per gallon. She also recommends putting plastic wrap over the top of the tank, so the humidity level increases in the air above the water. Your tank is only partially filled, so there will be plenty of air for him to breathe. (She said there needs to be at least an inch of air above the water to do this, so you should be fine with this.)
Ok, I'll up the epsom substantially and see if we can get his top covered. Gotta get this little bugger feeling better!!
Old 02-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #29 
MurrellSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
They can go a week or more without food. I would just keep the water level low today, increase the Epsom salt concentration, and see what happens.... If he starts looking better later on today and you're concerned that it's been too long since he's eaten, you can try feeding him then.... But I'd give him at least a couple of hours in a higher dosage of Epsom salt. Hopefully, it'll relieve any constipation or bloating that he has.
Sounds like a good plan, I'm on it! Thanks again!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #30 
MurrellSM

Man oh man, going to be another tough day. He really isn't any "better", though he isn't any worse, which is a good thing! He sure is struggling though, boy. I have to turn the filter off whenever he gets on that side of the tank as the current is stronger than he is right now. Even with the filter off he sometimes gets 'stuck' on the deeper side as he goes up to get air and then falls backwards/inverted due to being totally pointed up and loses his equilibirum and gets kinda stuck and startled. Poor thing. When that happens, I net him and lay him back on the left on his leaves where he can rest better and get air more easily; I've done that twice. He sure is a fighter tho! He hasn't improved much at all these last couples days and is struggling so bad that it's amazing he's lasted this long; one strong little betta! :)

I'm almost done adding in the new salt (I added one more tsp total, as it had just about 1tsp/gal earlier, maybe a touch shy, and there's only about a gallon of water in there, I think, as I have his water level as low as possible for the heater to stay in there). I'll watch him a few hours, and this evening if he isn't better I may add another tsp, which would get me close to the 3tsp/gal level, I believe.

I'll keep you posted.... we're keeping a constant eye on him, doing everything we can, and hoping he makes it through. FIGHT ON, OSCAR!!!