Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #1 
Elsewhere

Question First Goldfish

So I've been trying to resist buying this little guy since I stocked up all of my 10g tanks, but I would go into the pet store every afternoon and see him sitting in his sad, sad lonely tank that was absolutely TINY. Today I decided was the day that I rescue little Hannibal! I have no clue if it's a girl or a boy, but I named it that the moment I saw it. My whole life I always wanted a Goldfish, but I always expected it to be, well, gold. Hannibal is a white, pinky colour. He will be living in a 5g for 5-6 weeks. That cannot be changed, and is better than the God awful tank he had been in. I still need to make a net for him...

So, here's my plan:
-See if my aunt will give me her 30g/ let me buy it off her
-If she won't, call my neighbour and ask to buy her 20g
-If all else fails, my great aunt has a MASSIVE tank for Goldfish and recently lost two and said she would take Hannibal (she has been caring for these Goldfish for over 20 years- I think she knows what she's doing :P)
-Make a net out of mesh for Hannibal
-Block off the sides of my 10g tanks so Themis and Artemis stop freaking out over the new guy
-Create a lid for the 5g (working on that right now, almost done)
-Redecorate the tank, the plants in there are too big
-Ask about the gender of fish
-Ask about what kind of Goldfish it is

What do you guys think? My whole childhood, it was always a dream of mine to get a small Goldfish and put it in a bowl beside my bed. But now I know better.

Here are some pics (Do you know if it's a boy or girl and what kind?) :

Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

If he is going to be staying in a 5 gallon tank for that long you are going to need a filter that provides plenty of surface agitation and to be doing quite a few large water changes a week. The amount of ammonia a single goldfish can produce is astounding and in a 5 gallon tank that I am assuming has not been cycled, this is going to cause issues with water quality sooner than you think.

He looks like he is the type of goldfish that is going to reach at least a foot or so long. My three 8 inch goldfish are making their 45 gallon tank look fairly small now so be aware that the 20/30 gallon tank may only be good for this single goldfish in the long run. The issue is that goldfish are gregarious fish and do prefer to have companionship. However, there is no way a 30 gallon tank is going to be big enough for two common/comet looking goldfish.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #3 
Elsewhere

I forgot to mention in my little list there that I was planning on using either my HOB or internal filter for him as soon as I can get them thoroughly cleaned and make one of those water bottle things to go on it... Hopefully that will be done by tomorrow, right now the filters are both being soaked. What do you suggest, the HOB or the internal? The internal is meant for a 10g and I'm pretty sure that the HOB would do fine in a 20g, I'm not sure as I got it second hand.

I wasn't going to add in anymore Goldfish, but I could get a larger tank by the end of the summer, when I actually have money. I've heard Goldfish are fine alone, but perhaps that person was mislead... Any help I can get from you guys in much needed and appreciated! Thank you for responding, LittleBettaFish, going to check on the filters now!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

LBF is right. That's a comet goldfish which can easily get over a foot long if given what he needs. Unless your aunt has a 150+ gal tank, he'd be better off in a pond. He will not be happy in a 20 gal or 30 gal for life, and it could result in stunting. Comets are not goldfish for tanks.

As for goldfish being alone, they can manage but will be more shy and withdrawn. They are highly social fish, and mine often travel the tank in a pack. When I had a single goldfish, the poor guy wouldn't move from the corner.

For the filter, go as large as you can. You never understand how messy goldfish are until you own one and clean the filter. In that 5 gal tank you will be looking at twice weekly if not more water changes. You might want to cycle the filter in another tank (or bucket) while doing close to 100% daily changes on the goldfish tank, and add the filter at a later time once it is cycled.

For gender, he's really too small to tell. Generally goldfish need to be a year or so to gender them.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #5 
Elsewhere

I believe my aunt keeps them in a pond in the summer, but tanks in the winter... I'm not sure. I've had my filters in my other tanks, but took them out because the flows were too strong. I'll put the HOB one on tomorrow... I now have the 30g confirmed, but can't do anything with it for a month. I'll be doing water changes every 2 or 3 days for a couple of weeks. It's all I can do for now, he seems to be okay for the time being.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #6 
eatmice2010

The Comet Goldfish is a bit smaller than the Common Goldfish, but even so, the environment it is kept in is a determining factor on whether your pet grows to its full potential size or is somewhat smaller. In an average 10 gallon tank, if well cared for and not crowded, they can grow up to about 4 inches (10 cm), while in a larger uncrowded tank they can grow larger generally reaching about 7 or 8 inches (17.78 - 20.32 cm). If kept in a spacious pond they can reach over 12 inches (30+ cm).
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

Eatmice, the size of the tank is less determinative than the quality of the water. If the water is kept perfect, the fish will probably go ahead and grow huge anyway. My sister's comet is ten inches long without tail in a 23 gallon, despite the fact that she rarely changes the water.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #8 
Elsewhere

Wow. I had been reading up on that for the past week, but I never knew that a 30g would stunt their growth that much. I know it sounds selfish of me, but I still think I did the right thing by getting Hannibal- if I hadn't, he would have either died in that pet store or he would have died in someone else's house from being in a tank smaller than the one he was in at the store (trust me, I know the people in my town :/ ). Thank you guys for all of your help... I will be scouring the Internet for more information tonight and calling the pet store owner tomorrow (it wasn't the owner I bought the fish from) to see if he's a Common or a Comet!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #9 
eatmice2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Eatmice, the size of the tank is less determinative than the quality of the water. If the water is kept perfect, the fish will probably go ahead and grow huge anyway. My sister's comet is ten inches long without tail in a 23 gallon, despite the fact that she rarely changes the water.
Are you sure its a comet and not a common gold fish, ive seen a bunch of people confuse the two? And im sure you obviously know that it is to small of a tank for your sisters goldfish . And gold fish can live in the worst of water condition and still grow to its potential size. When i said its environment, I ment but the objects in its tank, If he did get a comet that instead of having stunt growth because of a small tank, instead he keeps growing and he leaves him in a small tank then the fish could ended up becoming deformed.
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #10 
Elsewhere

Update:
My pet store is closed today, but I'll call tomorrow and see what he is. I put the filter in, but both had extremely strong currents and Hannibal was freaking out. I thought maybe he'd get used to it, but after 3 hours I took one out and tried the other- same result. I have instead now put a bubbler in, not to help with filtration, but with oxygen and he's freaking out over that too :/ I can't wait to get that 30 gallon, hopefully we can get it next weekend and start setting up... I can't put him in for a while, though.