Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #1 
Blacklight

Water main broke

So. A water main broke somewhere and my water is going to be contaminated for several days or at least a week.

The problem is, that the fishy needs a water change. Is it okay to use bottled water from the grocery store to do this? Our tap water is dark brown and I don't think our fish would enjoy swimming in it at the moment.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

How large is your tank? And what percentage of the water needs changing?

If the tank isn't tiny, you may be able to hold off a few days until the water is back to normal. (One delayed water change isn't like keeping your fish in perpetually high ammonia and toxins.)

If your tank is small, or you think the water change really needs to be done, you may be able to get by with a partial water change, rather than a full one.

If you change out the water (any amount), I would use 'bottled DRINKING water.' The label should say that it has dissolved salts or minerals. (It'll probably say something "minerals to improve taste.")

Do not use distilled water. It doesn't have the dissolved salts/minerals that tap water and drinking water have.

If you use the bottled drinking water, acclimate SLOWLY. The water parameters (pH, dissolved salts, etc) may be different from what your fish is used to, and you don't want to shock him.

To acclimate SLOWLY:
  1. Note the temperature of the water.
  2. Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
  3. Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
  4. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
  5. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  6. Let his cup float for about 15 min, or longer. (It's always OK to wait longer.)
  7. Remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  8. Repeat steps 5-7, until at LEAST an hour has passed.
  9. Gently release him into the tank.

Then, when you go back to using tap water again, repeat the same slow acclimation process.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 02-09-2013 at 10:07 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

For example, this is from Deer Park's website:

"What gives Deer ParkŪ Natural Spring Water its great taste? A light blend of minerals contributes to the legendary great taste of our water."
Old 02-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #4 
Blacklight

I know not to use distilled water. I just wanted to know if it was safe to just pick up a few jugs of "Poland Spring" and use that.
The ammonia level is hardly noticeable (we do the water change once a week, it's a 5 gallon tank, and it's only one fish in there).
We've had this fish tank set up since October and we have yet to see any ammonia or nitrates so I'm thinking I'm going to hold off on the water change and just test each day until I see the ammonia and then do the change. At least I know that using some bottles of "Poland Spring" will be fine as long as I acclimate her properly.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

If you have a 5 gal tank, and the water is only going to be off for a few days, I would say your plan is fine --> hold off on the water change as long as possible, and keep testing for ammonia. Hopefully, the water will come back on soon (both for your betta AND for you! It's not fun being without water....)
Old 02-10-2013, 03:01 AM   #6 
Blacklight

We have water again, but now it's coming out a sickly yellow/brown color. Nice. Now I don't know if this crap is contaminated or how long it will take once this stuff is cleared out of the pipes that it will be safe for the fish. It's city water so I hope they get this cleaned up proper.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:30 AM   #7 
Aluka

u can go to the petstore and get some betta water, its basically tap water with conditioner. Its for people with tap that is too hard for keeping fish.
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote