Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2013, 12:43 AM   #51 
dougan

Also, am I understanding you correctly that you must retreat Prime-treated water every 48 hours?

Thank you.
dougan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:47 AM   #52 
majesticstorm

Nope, you don't. The chlorine/metals are all gone. Prime converts ammonia to something less toxic for 48 hrs (if you have any in your tap), giving your filter (if you have one) time to get rid of it.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #53 
dougan

I'm not currently using a filter. Does that change your answer?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:51 AM   #54 
majesticstorm

Nope, it doesn't. It's main job is to get rid of chlorines and metals, it isn't a substitution for water changes. And I BELIEVE you can overdose on Prime, which I guess isn't good...

I don't have a filter either, but I do frequent water changes in my 5gal (even more so since my boy is a tailbiter).

Last edited by majesticstorm; 02-12-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:55 AM   #55 
dougan

Okay, so I guess in my case (with no filter), the ammonia stays as something less toxic. But since I don't have a filter, that less toxic substance will still be present in the water. Is that right?

The reason I asked this is because this morning I treated 1 gallon of water with 2 drops of the Prime and I'm using it to replenish the water in the tank that I'm using to float my betta (in a Solo cup). That tank water was treated yesterday with Prime, as well, but my fish hasn't been in it directly. He's been in his cup.

I hope I explained that clearly.

Thank you.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:01 AM   #56 
majesticstorm

No, after 48 hrs, the less toxic stuff converts back to ammonia (the toxic stuff). But if your tap doesn't contain ammonia, I wouldn't worry TOO much about it. Ammonia should stay at a safe level with frequent water changes in a 5 gal tank (1-2 times a week) and shouldn't build up as quickly as say, your previous 1 gal tank (ammonia builds up REAL quickly in smaller volumes of water).

Last edited by majesticstorm; 02-12-2013 at 01:03 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:08 AM   #57 
dougan

Hmm, well I'm not yet using the 5 gallon tank. I'm still on my 24 hour test of the heater. And I don't know if I want to put him in there with all 5 gallons before he's ready because he was struggling to get to the top of the 1 gallon.

I'm going to go test the tap for ammonia right now to see what I get. I'll report back here when I get the results.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:08 AM   #58 
dougan

Okay, I tested the tap, as well as the water that is in the tank that I'm floating him in. It appears that both are free from ammonia.

However, he has the S-shape now that some other posters have mentioned of their fish.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:39 AM   #59 
Fishybitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougan View Post
Update:
I went ahead and got a Top Fin heater. Reviews are not great, but I wanted to get started on heating the new water and testing the heater. As I'm writing this, the thermometer in the 5 gallon tank is reading just over 74 F. I'm not sure whether I have the heater set to 75 F or 79 F because of the markings on the heater. The squares up to 75 F or filled solid red and there's a red diagonal line on 79 F.
I have this heater, it is complicated and the instructions are terrible.

I have mine in a 10gallon, I have it set to 82 degrees and mines at a steady 80. I would say test it and just be careful to watch it.

(being set at 80 the square is filled in and the half line is at 85)
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #60 
dougan

Here is a photo I just took of him. I put the Omega One flakes in the cup about 30 minutes ago, and as far as I can tell he has not come up for any of them.

I noticed yesterday afternoon that he wouldn't come up for air when I would make adjustments to the cup, and that's still the case.

It would appear that he is not improving (maybe even getting worse). What is the guideline on the length of time before I should see improvement?

I'm going to the leave the flakes in for another 45 minutes to an hour before I do another full water change in his cup.

The last time he pooped was on Sunday. I mentioned earlier that the poop was black. He hasn't eaten or pooped since then.

There also seem to be moments when his side fins are out and slightly moving, and then other times when they're close to his body. I'm not sure if that's relevant, but I thought I'd mention it.

Am I doing anything wrong that you guys/ladies can see?

Thank you.
Attached Images