Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #81 
callistra

He heating element is actually on the end of the heater.. it looks like you have an air stone at the top? That may help.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #82 
dougan

Well, he's in the breeder, which is in the 5 gallon tank. As you can see, I've reduced the water level dramatically so that it's just over his head, making the reach for the surface as easy as possible. I did this because I noticed that while he was in his floating cup, even with very little water he was having to jump to the surface for air. But I'm afraid that being so confined by the low water level may be stressing him even more. He can swim around, but he really can't go anywhere vertically.

Sometime tonight will make 48 hours that he's been here (I don't recall the exact time I put him in the breeder from his floating cup).
Sometimes he keeps himself upright, and at other times he leans. The same is the case with his clamping (his fins will go from being very close to his body to a more relaxed position). Also, his gills seem to go from very slow movement, to more pronounced movements where they seem to open wider.

But he seems to constantly keep his head upright near the surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
You could either try treating conservatively with aquarium salt and epsom salt - 1 tsp per gallon each...
I ended up dissolving about 2.25 tsp each of both epsom and aquarium salts into the tank. A 5 gallon would call for 5 tsp of each, but I couldn't recall exactly how many gallons of water I put into the tank the night before. But I knew at the time that there were at least just over 2 gallons of water. And when I reduced the water level to be closer to his head, I took out just over 1 gallon of water. So at the time I put the salt in the tank, there were probably between 3 and 4 gallons of water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Or you could look for a good internal antibiotic like Kanaplex or Triple Sulfa may also be effective.
I have not been able to find anyone locally who carries either the Kanaplex or the Triple Sulfa you mentioned. Although they do have it from http://www.drsfostersmith.com, but it'll take time to be delivered to me.

He doesn't appear to be getting better, but he also doesn't appear to be getting worse (unless there's something I'm not seeing). And I feel like when I try to fix one thing, I introduce another problem. Take the water level, for example. The water level is very low, which makes it easier for him to get air from the surface, but now I'm sure he feels extremely confined.

Any thoughts? Thank you again.
Attached Images

Last edited by dougan; 02-18-2013 at 12:53 PM. Reason: misspelling
dougan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #83 
dougan

I should have posted this sooner, but help is no longer needed. He didn't make it. My overdue thanks to everyone who responded and offered their help (callistra, LittleBlueFishlets, Azurelove, majesticstorm and Fishybitty). I appreciate it very much. Hopefully others will learn from the mistakes that I made so that their fish won't go through the same thing as mine.

Last edited by dougan; 03-08-2013 at 04:37 PM.
dougan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #84 
LittleBlueFishlets

I'm sorry he didn't make it.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #85 
callistra

I'm sorry :(
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #86 
majesticstorm

I'm so sorry he didn't make it :(