Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #1 
eemmais

My friend is keeping a goldfish in a vase!

My friend told me she has a goldfish in a vase!! it can't be more than two gallons! And she doesn't even condition the water! What should I do? I think I might be able to get it a proper set up if she would let me have it.....it's really bothering me. I tried to just forget about it but I can't pretend that the fish is being stunted and burned by its own waste.
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

Have you talked to her about it? I'd maybe send her an email saying something along the lines of, "I couldn't help thinking about your goldfish the other day. I was wondering if you knew that your vase is too small for him? I know the petshop probably said it was fine, but it's not ideal...[insert sympathetic, non-judgemental explanation of what a fish suffers in a space that's too small, tell what a goldfish actually needs, ask if she's considered rehoming it as a result]."

People mistreat their animals so badly out of pure ignorance. :(
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #3 
eemmais

Yeah I emailed her...even offered to set up a tank for her....but she ignored it all except she said she would buy a conditioner. Oh well, I guess that's all I can do :/
Old 02-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #4 
Hadoken Kitty

Ughhh how annoying. My best friend's girlfriend's sister (long line. wow o.O) just bought one of those HUGE goldfish. The kind with the funky, puffy faces. She put him in a ten gallon. She showed me a video. That thing doesn't look like it has much space. It makes me so sad. I can't stop thinking about it. I was reading that they needed a minimum of like, 29 gallons! That poor little guy. :( She was in my room looking at my fish, and everyone was looking at me like I was a crazy fish lady. T.T
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:52 PM   #5 
eemmais

That's horrible I once saw this video on YouTube where this guy had a common pleco (not sure but I think it to be in needs at least 70 gallons) in maybe a ten gallon, and the water was super cloudy and the fish was clearly holding on for its life....and all he was talking about was how "lazy" the fish was and how he just kept growing even though they were supposed to only grow to the size of the tank. I also have a different friend who kept a black moor and common pleco in an unheated 20 gallon.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:50 AM   #6 
Bombalurina

It sucks that pet rescue places can't deal with fish. I swear, they suffer more per head than any other animal ever.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:56 AM   #7 
veggiegirl

You can get second hand fish tanks really cheap sometimes....... you could buy her an early birthday present he he alternative motive........ have an very early merry christmas goldfish
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:13 AM   #8 
eemmais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
It sucks that pet rescue places can't deal with fish. I swear, they suffer more per head than any other animal ever.
I know, it's horrible. They are always thought of as throw away pets or decorations. Some fish can live to 30 years...
Old 02-09-2013, 01:13 AM   #9 
eemmais

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
You can get second hand fish tanks really cheap sometimes....... you could buy her an early birthday present he he alternative motive........ have an very early merry christmas goldfish
Or maybe...her fish....goes missing one day
Old 02-09-2013, 02:25 AM   #10 
Fishybitty

I would simply be nice but stern. Example: "If you are going to keep a fish as a pet, you should know how to take care of them and what type of habitats they need. If you can't be responsible, then you shouldn't have a fish."

Try teaching her that what she is doing is wrong. Tell her about this site?
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote