Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2014, 02:35 AM   #1 
jessriggy

I bit the bullet today!

And I got a got some Anubias on driftwood to start my transition to live plants. What else can I get that's low to moderate light and care? I'm going to slowly add to it, one by one :)
Also, do I need to add anything to the water to keep my little plant healthy?
Attached Images

jessriggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Upgrading your lights would be helpful, looks like you've got incandescent's? correct me if I'm wrong on that though.

Other plants:
Anacharis, common Cryptocorynes, water sprite, water wisteria, java fern and java moss.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #3 
jessriggy

I think so, upon googling. I never planned to have plants but here I am so I have been wondering about the light :) what would I change it to?
Old 05-08-2014, 09:34 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Haha, that's okay! I did the same thing as you and just figured it out as I went ^_^

Your hood can support any light that has a screw in side such as Incandescent's, Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFLs), and nowaday's LED's even come in as screw in bulbs but they aren't so great for planted tanks unless you have the proper kelvin rating.

Kelvin rating tells you the color temperature of your light bulb, ideally for a planted tank you want it at 6,500K which is the color temperature of the sun on Earth at its peak mid-day; best time for growing plants! But since your's is partially planted and with low light plants you could easily get a 5,000K CFL to screw into your tank and get the plants to grow. I don't advise anything under 5,000K though. If you wanted you could go with the 6,500K, but if you don't have fast growing plants (anacharis, water wisteria or water sprite) then you could end up growing a bunch of algae in the end depending how much nutrients are in the water and such.

Lights on for a minimum of 6 hours and maximum of 12 hours, I tend to stay in the 10 hour range for my planted tanks but anywhere between 6 to 12 is all acceptable!

Plants will also appreciate food! There are two main types of supplements; liquid and root tabs. Root tabs are great for those plants who get all their nutrients from their roots such as Swords and Cryptocorynes along with water Wisteria partially. And then liquid is mainly for those who take from the water column such as water sprite, anacharis and other stem plants. Water wisteria will take from both although it primarily takes from the water column. However, adding root tabs when you don't exactly have anything planted (anubias and java fern should be tied to something as you put it on your driftwood ^_^) then it would be silly to add root tabs unless you bought some stem plants as well. I recommend SeaChem Flourish Comprensive for a great all-in-one liquid fertilizer. I use it biweekly but a little less than recommended for the week. I also have more extensively planted tanks though so you could use something like 1-2 drops per gallon twice or once a week if you like. In the end, you just have to figure out how much food your plants will soak up before you start growing algae, so start small and see what works with your plants.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #5 
jessriggy

Saving all this info! :) is there any specific type of lightbulb I should be getting besides the kelvin rating? and where is the best place to get these? I am assuming that LFS's do, but do supermarkets?

I wanted to get some fertiliser when I was there but the guy said not to, I was hesitant but agreed. I will get some next time!
Especially since I want to add to my plants :)
Old 05-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Actually I found Wal-Mart to be the best place but I don't think you have any down in Aussie lol, any hardware store will do. CFL's are better because they don't give off so much heat as Incandescent's do, Incandescent's are relatively useless in the aquarium. Make sure you get a wattage that is lower than what your hood can handle, most small hoods handle 15 watts or less so make sure you look at that. Wattage just tells you how much electricity you are using, there's really no correlation to anything else. Some people will tell you 2 watts per gallon but that is a very old "rule of thumb" and isn't what you need.

You may not need the fert right away since there might be enough nutrients in your tank presently. I would wait a few weeks before adding any in but you can certainly buy it now if you like. I've used API LeafZone before and honestly it didn't do much, I like SeaChem much better if you can get that. Again, I'm from the states so I'm not always certain on what's available in Aussie, sorry!
Old 05-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #7 
Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Plants will also appreciate food! There are two main types of supplements; liquid and root tabs. Root tabs are great for those plants who get all their nutrients from their roots such as Swords and Cryptocorynes along with water Wisteria partially. And then liquid is mainly for those who take from the water column such as water sprite, anacharis and other stem plants. Water wisteria will take from both although it primarily takes from the water column. However, adding root tabs when you don't exactly have anything planted (anubias and java fern should be tied to something as you put it on your driftwood ^_^) then it would be silly to add root tabs unless you bought some stem plants as well. I recommend SeaChem Flourish Comprensive for a great all-in-one liquid fertilizer. I use it biweekly but a little less than recommended for the week. I also have more extensively planted tanks though so you could use something like 1-2 drops per gallon twice or once a week if you like. In the end, you just have to figure out how much food your plants will soak up before you start growing algae, so start small and see what works with your plants.
Best info EVER!

I have the SeaChem Flourish Comprensive but figured I don't need root tabs. I have an NPL so I don't need to use them right? I feed my plants once a week and it seems to be doing just fine. do Dwarf hair grass thrive on SeaChem Flourish Comprensive?
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:57 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree View Post
Best info EVER!

I have the SeaChem Flourish Comprensive but figured I don't need root tabs. I have an NPL so I don't need to use them right? I feed my plants once a week and it seems to be doing just fine. do Dwarf hair grass thrive on SeaChem Flourish Comprensive?
Haha, glad to help!

Do you mean NPT? If so then yes you won't need root tabs. I prefer to split the Flourish up for twice a week dosing so that means the plants will have a more constant food source rather than once a week. Dwarf hairgrass will be fine with just Flourish in an NPT although it may not grow the best without co2 addition is all but it shouldn't die on you.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #9 
Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Haha, glad to help!

Do you mean NPT? If so then yes you won't need root tabs. I prefer to split the Flourish up for twice a week dosing so that means the plants will have a more constant food source rather than once a week. Dwarf hairgrass will be fine with just Flourish in an NPT although it may not grow the best without co2 addition is all but it shouldn't die on you.

HAHAHAHAHA yeah oops NPT XD
thanks for the input. =)
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote