Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2013, 01:51 AM   #1 
Chili Padi

Exclamation Urgent help needed!!!!

Urgent help needed! i cleaned 4 of my bettas tanks as usual but the last change has turned my 4 bettas inactive and not eating. This is so worrying cause my bettas are so active and trained and now they are like playing dead! I did nothing different from previous water change. Huge bubbles are blown and nesting on the surface which i thought was a good sign to begin with until i noticed them not active.

Any idea what went wrong??
Chili Padi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #2 
inveritas

Are you using any water conditioners to remove chlorine and chloramine? Have you tested your tap and tank water for Ammonia? Do you know what chemicals there are in your tap?

If you can get your hands on some Indian almond leaves or tannins extracts I find that it helps bettas perk up!
inveritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #3 
Myates

How did you acclimate them to the new water/temp? Did you remove them during the water change? Was the new water's temp the same as the tank's water? Use water conditioner?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

Since all four fish are in separate tanks and they all developed issues immediately after the last water change, it sounds like the problem occurred with the water change.

I would recommend doing 100% water changes in all of the tanks. Hopefully, this will correct any issue that occurred with the last change.

To do the water change and acclimate them slowly:
  1. Note the temperature of the water.
  2. Using a plastic cup, scoop the fish, along with some of his water, into the cup.
  3. Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
  4. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
  5. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  6. Let his cup float for about 10 min.
  7. Remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  8. Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed.
  9. Gently release him into the tank.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #5 
Chili Padi

Thank you for all your replies. Unfortunately my second DT betta died it was already weak and i tried my best. luckly the other 2 are fine which is odd. I've done regular changes all the time without problems but it just happens to be this time for unknown reason. I'm so devastated
Old 02-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss and that you are having problems...

As a general rule-when you see a behavior change-especially after a water change-Make a 50% water only-leaving the fish in the tank and double dose on the dechlorinator with the like temp replacement water-turn off the light and hold food for 24h-Make another 50% water only the next day or later in the day if they have not improved or have other symptoms. Double check your tank temp and check the heater itself for cracks-especially if you either forgot to unplug it before the water change or didn't allow it to cool off long enough.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #7 
Chili Padi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Sorry for your loss and that you are having problems...

As a general rule-when you see a behavior change-especially after a water change-Make a 50% water only-leaving the fish in the tank and double dose on the dechlorinator with the like temp replacement water-turn off the light and hold food for 24h-Make another 50% water only the next day or later in the day if they have not improved or have other symptoms. Double check your tank temp and check the heater itself for cracks-especially if you either forgot to unplug it before the water change or didn't allow it to cool off long enough.
I have done that already i guess whatever the cause was really severe. i noticed something on the surface of the water like an oil spill settling on the surface which is also odd. i never wash with any soap or any chemicals of the sort.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:18 AM   #8 
SunnyBettaGirl

Smile

You know...sometimes bettas just take long periods of time to just chill out. Then they suddenly perk up and zoom to the surface (like if you come in the room where they live and start typing on your laptop or somthing), then they settle down again. If they are eating well, their water is clean (which it obviously is), and they don't swim strangely (which could be a sign that a slow death is coming), I wouldn't worry at all.
SunnyBettaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote