Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #101 
Myates

lol! Well, if you get the 5g I can send you a couple girls :) And a boy.. how about 60 of them? 300? :D
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #102 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
I'm definitely not encouraging or enabling you though XD
Oh, no, definitely not! Lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #103 
Artemis

Dang girly! You are knee deep in bettas! Keep posting! I am too full to buy sadly, and a bit to far away anyway but can't wait to see how they turn out.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #104 
Jayloo

I'm interested in the updates as well.
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #105 
Myates

Thanks guys :) Will keep it updated!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #106 
GhostFeather

When you introduce your female to the tub,do you just put her in,or do you put her in a chimney?
I am interested in trying this method,my tub will be put in a 10G like yours.
Bill
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #107 
Myates

I put her in the chimney for anywhere from 8-24hrs depending upon how ready she is. This one was in the chimney for about 15hrs or so.

I know one breeder (who I got this method from, but she uses just bowls) just places them in together without a waiting period - but I want to make sure the male is ready as well.. give him time to work on a nest and to go from territorial in a new space to wanting to attract her. So at least some time separated has worked best for me.

This spawn only took a few hours at the most before starting to spawn - female has spawned before a couple of times, the male was new at it. Another spawn I had going at the same time took a week to get it together, both being virgins. But I made the mistake of bothering them with food/clean up for the first few days which could of played a part in why it took that long.

With this spawn I covered the front of the tank with dish towels/wash rags (taped with masking tape) to avoid them seeing me (not seen in picture).. leaving an inch at the top to peek in.

Once the two females I have conditioning now are ready I will be doing it this way again - one with the semi transparent blue tub and one with a clear tub to see if it makes a difference whether they can see out of the tub or not.

Make sure to poke some holes in the sides so the water will be the same to make transferring very easy - I used the pointy edge of bottle/can opener (seen below) to start the hole, then finished the hole with a metal meat thermometer that was thin and sharp.. but can probably use a phillips screw driver or a small power drill for the holes. But these are what I had laying around the house and what worked for me. The water level will be low, as at some point the plastic starts to float.. going to see if making more holes makes a difference as well. This was my first time using this method, which has worked a lot better than the method of using a 10g with hiding places. So I'm still tweaking it a bit.

Good luck!
Attached Images

Last edited by Myates; 03-21-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #108 
GhostFeather

Thanks!
I have 2 breeding tanks that are ready to go,I am going to try the tubs.
Bill
Old 03-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #109 
Myates

Good luck, let us know how they go :)
Old 03-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #110 
GhostFeather

I will,moving the males now.
Bill