Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #121 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
Wow! That's what I call a full plate!
I hadn't heard of antacids.
I have more time on my hands & I could easily handle more pets, BUT I have limited space. Isn't that always the way? When I had my big house, I had a child, dogs, cats, a job & pottery studio, a pond & garden...
lol.. yeah even one more fish I will be overwhelmed lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettacrazygirl86 View Post
Even in one to two months, I won't be able to take them. :( Not unless I get my 10 gallon and something happens to Patriot, which I really hope nothing does. He's my baby. <3 Since I'm going off to college, I can only have a 10 gallon, and I could only have a small sorority in that, once it's planted and cycled. That's why, when I do get a sorority going, I want to get directly from a breeder so I can get siblings. :) That way they might get along better if they grew up together. I can't have a sorority unless something happens to Patriot though, since half of the 10 is gonna be his.
Ahh I understand :) I don't blame you either! Keep in mind though, it's not always guaranteed to have friendlier siblings from a breeder. Honestly it's a toss up either way you go with about the same chances of aggression. It's dependent upon each fish personally, rather than whether they are used to it. As by the time the fish are shipped, etc, they have "reset" and it doesn't matter whether they are siblings at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Culling is sad but you've got to do what you've got to do.
Yes.. but don't worry, will have plenty to send you! lol.. still want 300? :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayloo View Post
Lots of times this is why I only condition my female for 1 week. Some websites you will read to condition them for 2+ weeks but I never do because they become TOO eggy. I usually feed them great for 5-7 days and let her go at it. Most of the time I get 100-150 and then have some die off but it's better than tending 500 fish and saves me the pain or guilt of killing them off. When I do cull I just feed them to the Oscar. At least that way they are being used... As nutrients.
It has nothing to do with how long you condition.. it's based upon age of female, size of female for the most part. New breeders/young females tend to have less naturally. As they age and become experienced they release more.. this particular female has been spawned multiple times, is 1/3 bigger than any of my other females.. and she was only conditioned for 5 days.
Length of conditioning time plays no factor.. as the eggs will become ripe at the same time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tari5thatsme2 View Post
I am new here, and I have to say, seeing this post is just wonderful!!!!! Those babies are soooooo cute. I have 2 bettas now, both males, but I want to start a sorority soon. How much do they cost, and how do you ship them?
Thank you :) Generally you can get most females cheaper from breeders, a lot of times free with purchases of males... it all depends on whether you want ones that are breed worthy or just some really pretty ones but don't have the "perfect" spread, topline, etc. For the ones that I won't sell for breeding purposes I would probably sell them for $3 each.. shipping is the standard $35 overnight. Ship in small bags, heat pack if the weather is too cool for them.. generally I recommend over night, as it can still take 2 days to arrive.. sometimes they can last longer, depending on the temp outside and how long the heat pack lasts. And you mail through regular US Post Office.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #122 
Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I did a cull today.. not as much as I originally planned.. only did around 50-100. Sadness...
Good grief. In my largest past spawns I've never had to cull that many at once. How are you picking this many out? The strange swimming ones or clearly dying ones only? I would guess not if you're taking out that many at once.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #123 
dramaqueen
Banned

I just want some pet quality ones. I wish 2 sisters could live in a 5 gallon peacefully. *sigh*
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #124 
Myates

I was picking out the smallest.. I have no weak/ill/sick babies.. why I only had seen 2 natural deaths in all this time. So I was going for the smaller ones.

And I told you DQ - I can pick out 2-3 very pretty girls for you, house them together in a 6g and see how they do. If they bicker I will look for another to replace.. will pick out the most docile ones :) This way you have a better chance at them being good together..
Old 03-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #125 
SamJustice

Huh. Myates I might ask you to do that too if I can get another tank before they're ready. I always wanted a sorority, but don't have the space for another 10 just yet. So, if I could get a six gallon or so, and find a suitable space, I might have to ask you to do that, if it's no trouble.
I'll start re-arranging and looking now for space and aquariums. Lol. xD
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:11 PM   #126 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'd have to get a 5-6 gallon tank when I get to Texas. Hmm, I'll have to think about it. I know I want 1 male and 1 female.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #127 
Myates

Keep in mind DQ - unless you are short on space, a 10g at Walmart is cheaper than any 5g you will find.

And sure thing Sam :) I have a couple tanks that I can put some in to see how they do. I figured the 6g would be good as it's right next to my pc (the larger tanks for growing fish + plants are in another room).. this way I can watch them more closely if they are next to me when I'm not busy with the other fish.

I know it's not "recommended" nor "ideal" to house 2-3 girls together, but it is doable and is done by a lot of people I know. As long as the water changes are done correctly, and there are enough hiding places.. and the females in particular are more docile then it can be doable. There will be a risk, as there are with all sororities, and even more so with it being a smaller tank. And I don't normally recommend it to people.. but this way I know that the ones I send out are going to be even tempered. I'll keep them together for as long as needed to make sure that the "newness" is worn off with them and judge their behavior then. Prior to placing them in together I will keep the females separated from all other fish in a .33g keeper (each) and in the dark for 24-48hrs to "simulate" shipping as best as I can.. and then place them together in the tank. See how they do with a "reset". Unsure how much of a difference that will make, but it's worth a try.

I don't mind making sure people get what they want :)
Old 03-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #128 
Xaltd1

I had 2 girls in a 5 gal hex for months w/ no problem.

One day Gilly had a nip mark on her head & I separated them, then reunited them in a large sorority. Who's to say that 1 nip was the start of something, or that it was a nip at all? I was being overly cautious.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #129 
SamJustice

Cool. Awesome.
I'll start looking at tanks and finding a space for another six gallon.
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #130 
Xaltd1

The only problem in my sorority is that I have 2 EEs. Their lovely "ears" are always in tatters. I never see fighting (only adorable, hungry little faces, innocent as can be), so I blamed it on my hard water- but wait! Butch, my male EE, has perfect fins. Hhmm. No other ragged/nipped fins on any of the girls.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote