acitydweller

keen to see your progress here.
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #33 
MiyuMikaelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
lol not enough!

Update - first spawn I can see a few hundred wee ones in there.. they are all about horizontal now. Feeding on infusoria, going to introduce some cultures and possibly BBS today. Will probably move them into the tank from the tub sometime over the next couple of days.

Second spawn was a bust.. something went wrong with the pair and only a few eggs were laid. She was still huge, so reset them and last I saw of them last night he was furiously working on a nest and she would be head down waiting. They are figuring it out.. both are virgins, so can't expect all to be like the previous pairing :)

If I don't get anything in the next few days from the second pair I'll separate and recondition. Hoping this pair breeds soon... since my tanks are on double racks, don't want to disturb them while I set up a 3rd spawn tank. If they don't, I will wait.. getting 5 new fish today, so may just wait to breed a couple of those.. elephant/dumbo ears are next I am hoping.
How exciting for the first batch; and that the second are trying hard.
;)

I'm dying to see the color patterns and tails from your babies.
C:
MiyuMikaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #34 
Myates

Me too! Okay, update time :)

They have been growing, but still very small and hard to take a picture of.. but here are some I took tonight. They are about 12 days old now and doing good.

Still eating like piggies, as you can see in some of the pictures, there are wormies swimming around.. a mix of Micro, banana and walter.. yum!

Youtube being weird, will try uploading the video tomorrow.. but at least there are pictures :)
Attached Images

Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #35 
Hadoken Kitty

Omg. SO CUTE!!!!
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #36 
Myates

They are lol.. should see them when they are "hunting" the worms.. and when they catch them sometimes the back end of the worm will be sticking out of their mouths.. lol.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #37 
Hadoken Kitty

LOL. I guess these leads me to ask you something. When is the best time to switch from infusoria to worms? How do I know when they'll be ready for larger food like that?
Old 02-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #38 
Myates

I really didn't have any infusoria - whatever was around when they were born. I didn't add any.

After their egg sacs have gone away (usually a couple days after hatching) they can start to eat. I started them on the worms listed, and BBS here and there as well. So far no issues eating, etc. As long as the food moves and is small enough, they should be fine. Infusoria isn't a must.. it helps, and is good for them, but I just couldn't get enough to make it worthwhile so I just tossed in my plants when I set up the tank and let it do it's own thing - and started feeding them when I saw some egg sacs depleted.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #39 
Hadoken Kitty

Alright. I wasn't sure. Thanks for making it clear! Can't wait to give this another shot when I get the chance. I got worried about my girl when she ran into the tank wall and dazed herself during the courtship (I use weird terms when I can't think of the technical ones, sorry), so I cut that spawn attempt off early. I hope to get cute little fry like yours soon. :3
Old 02-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #40 
Myates

lol you pretty much said it right, no technical term for "oops!" :P

Sometimes it can get rough.. for my last two they were just fine until the very end, right before they actually bred.. that's when it got really rough. Thought I almost lost the momma to this spawn, but she's doing great now.. healing up fine and eating good.