Old 03-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #61 
soady

They are amazing!
soady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #62 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by alunjai View Post
That's really cool!! There's so many of them. Will take you a while to name them all :P The 2 smaller ones that I have are similar colour and in size to yours. But my larger ones are quite dark... much browny grey colour... Is that normal as they get bigger?
They will become grey/brown/black as they get bigger.. it's a form of camouflage for them. It will take a few more weeks before you start seeing their colors come out more and the camouflage to lessen. So it's perfectly normal to see the brown/grey, with coloring coming in around the 2-3 months of age.

Also keep in mind, I forgot to mention.. a lot of times you will see breeder "speed/power grow" their fry - so that they are show size/breeding ready by 3 months of age. That isn't normal.. if you let the fish grow naturally it takes a bit longer - can be up to 7-8 months before fully grown rather than 3 months.
I'm not power growing mine - so they are on the average size for their age.
But if you want to get your little ones grown quicker then more water changes will speed it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
Yes, LSB! Haha. How much was it? I was thinking of just leaving a log in mine, lol.
I believe $10, there were a few different sizes. A log is great.. I just used it because my grow out tanks are like colorful playgrounds for them and I wanted to stick with the theme lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by soady View Post
They are amazing!
Thank you :) Love those little ones!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #63 
alunjai

I change my water once a day and around 50%. I always try to siphon as much uneaten food as I can and replace the water before feed. Would you consider this normal for water changes? Or shall I change more and more often?
alunjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #64 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alunjai View Post
I change my water once a day and around 50%. I always try to siphon as much uneaten food as I can and replace the water before feed. Would you consider this normal for water changes? Or shall I change more and more often?
Actually 50% is pretty good. Every few days I like to add a 70% in as well but you wont get much hormone build up with the way your going.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:54 AM   #65 
ashleigheperry

Can't wait to see how these gorgeous babies turn out!
Any idea how/if you'll be homing them all? C:
ashleigheperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #66 
Myates

Selling them through Aquabid, friends on FB, Ebay, add in newspaper, here on the forums, etc.. had a local store here wanting to purchase them, but Petco moved in and they went out of business.. but Petco fish manager did express interest in seeing if they could sell some of my fish.. would be cool :)

I will post more pictures soon.. they are at 30 days now and going to set up their 30g grow out today and see about transferring them over. They are getting a bit crowded in the 10.

Have 4 more pairs I am debating on which will be next.. have a couple spawn tanks open, so will see. Either going the Elephant ear route (both short and long finned), DTHM route or just HMs.

But for now will start moving the fry over.. give them some space to grow. Will start with only partial water in the tank and then use a drip system to continuously add in clean water.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #67 
Myates

Moved them to the grow out tank.. I counted them. I was estimating around 200 fry.

Boy was I wrong...

I stopped counting at 500, rough estimate now is 530-550 fry.

The 30g isn't going to hold them all in a few weeks lol.. will have to set up another.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #68 
logisticsguy

Wow! I guess that spawning technique worked out OK then.

Nice work Myates! 500+ amazing. I thought it looked like a pretty heavy in the pics.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #69 
Silverrealm

This is a really cool thread! Keep up the good work!
Silverrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #70 
ashleigheperry

I'd probably be interested in 5-6 females at some point if you'll have that many to spare (I'm guessing you will with over 500 to choose from!).

I'll keep my eyes open for a classified thread. (;
ashleigheperry is offline   Reply With Quote