Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2013, 07:22 AM   #31 
Kiara1125

Also, here's a video of my berried female. They constantly fan the eggs to prevent the eggs from growing fungus and to help circulation. They have a sticky membrane on the outside to hold them together. The batch can either be a few eggs or a lot (like my female). it depends on genetics and environment. The eggs will hatch in a month after birth and the shrimplets are sooo tiny. You have not seen tiny until you see a baby shrimp. xD

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/...ps64c162d4.mp4
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #32 
tekkguy

Males do usually have a bit less color regardless of the grade, but there are more reliable methods for sexing the shrimp.

Females are larger and have rounder bodies. They also have a visible "saddle"(unless they a painted fire reds which you can't see through). See here for helpful photos!
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #33 
WhiskeyHands

Thanks for the link. I checked but i really don't think I have a male!
WhiskeyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #34 
Kiara1125

That sight is where I learned for my shrimp. It's a reliable sight with great pics. Still, most places don't sell FRS. The RCS are $5 each here, so imagine if they were a higher grade! O.o
Old 02-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #35 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
That sight is where I learned for my shrimp. It's a reliable sight with great pics. Still, most places don't sell FRS. The RCS are $5 each here, so imagine if they were a higher grade! O.o
I bought my first RCS from a local breeder. Cost me $10 for 30 of them! The LFS here does sell them for $4.99 each, which is crazy. Lots of online sellers sell them for $1 - $2 each, but of course you have to pay shipping.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #36 
aemaki09

Just wanted to mention that younger RCS tend to have lighter bodies and black spots on them. It's nothing out of the ordinary, just don't have their full color yet.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:46 AM   #37 
Silverfang

I started off with six female shrimp, I believe they were either fire reds or sakuras. Could not see a saddle. But they were large, solid red, and had rounded under bellies. Got them 3 for 10$ at the LFS. Have gotten in more cherries since, including some males, so lots and lots of babies.

Just spotted a fresh round of shrimplets. Approx 2mm in size. Generally they don't get much colour in until at least a cm in size. Before then pretty dull, with just a few red spots.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #38 
polukoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option View Post
I don't know what the spot is about. But I can say, without doubt, that they are definitely stressed.

Why are you putting these shrimps in with a betta??? I have about 50 RCS shrimps of my own and they always lived in a separate tank. I would never think about putting in a shrimp with my betta tank....unless I wanted the shrimp to be food for the fish.
I've had a lot of betta become friends with the shrimp when housed together.
polukoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #39 
acitydweller

i would watch them over the next week or so to see if the condition improves. many things are often overcome in invertebrates with a molt.
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #40 
Kiara1125

Quote:
Originally Posted by polukoff View Post
I've had a lot of betta become friends with the shrimp when housed together.
Right? There's a local betta breeder by me and he raises his baby bettas with RCS, CRS, CBS, etc. They never mess with the shrimp and when they're sold, they can be put in with shrimp of any type and they won't mess with them.

Tags
betta, rcs, tankmates