Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #1 
White Mage

Betta scraped side of face D:

My female betta scraped the side of her face (what it looks like anyway) it looks like raw flesh :c I put some Stress Coat+ in there, is that enough?
White Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #2 
PaulO

Clean water is going to be your friend now, if possible can you give more info including tank size, tank mates, water parameters, etc...
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #3 
White Mage

What size is your tank? 3g
What temperature is your tank? Should be 78* as I have the same heater as the other 2 tanks do and they're always 78*.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, Tetra Whisper Micro Filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Herself :3

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin color-enhancing Betta Bits, and freeze dried worms on Wednesday
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 bits in morning 2 in evening, 1 and a half worms in morning and evening on Wednesdays. No food Sunday for fasting.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every Sunday, checking the parameters on Wednesday to make sure everything is stable.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%-75% depending on how much stuff is on the gravel.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime, unless ripped fins, then Prime & Stress Coat+
Since the tank is new, also some Stress Zyme for the filter. (SafeStart is sold out at LPS)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Everything is fine.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? left side of face is scraped on her gill cover, looks like a scab.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 30mins ago when I was watching TV, I looked over and noticed her face was scraped :c
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Added a double does of Stress Coat+ like instructions say.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Only a ripped fin that the filter tore in a previous tank.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 3 weeks.

Last edited by White Mage; 02-11-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #4 
PaulO

So 0 ammonia. nitrites and nitrates..I would test if possible as in my city we get .5 ppm ammonia out of the tap. Just keep the water clean with frequent water changes, you can add the recommended amount of stress coat or even a little less as it usually irritates the fish so it produces slime coating. If you have any lying around you could add indian almond leaf but that is optional. If you keep the water clean the betta will have a lower risk of contarcting secondary infections and it will heal up on it's own.

One question do you know how she could have possibly scratched her face? rough substrate, decorations or anything sharp in the tank? Also if you could take a picture of her injury it would help to see the extent of her little mishap.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #5 
White Mage

My guess is this http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

Its pretty much the exact same.. but the one we have has more holes O.o idk lol. Some of the "plants" on it are a bit rough, but she CAN fit through all of the holes easily.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #6 
PaulO

I would check your decorations with your hands and feel for any sharp edges I used to have this http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo and I found until I removed (cut off) the little green spikes the mollies which I had in the tank would always have cloudy eyes from scratching up against the decorations. Needless to say since then I have been slowly moving all my tanks from plastic decorations to npt's with plants and wood. Away from that tangent I would keep an eye on your fish and continue your water changes and if anything changes for the worse I would remove the decorations otherwise just keep an eye on her and clean water really is the best. Also if you have any stress coat you can add a little (however they recommend), since it has Aloe Vera it could help the fish not stress out and speed up the healing a little.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #7 
White Mage

Alright thanks :D
Old 02-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #8 
Perry the platypus

Ouch. Well, have you noticed any infections, or pus?
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #9 
White Mage

No, it just looks like someone who scraped their knee on the concrete. :c lol