Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #1 
Noobalva

Talking Opinions on possible tank mates.

Hey guys, so i have Sherlock(my betta) in a 2.5gallon tank with a mystery snail and i'm looking to upgrade to a 26 gallon tank and give him some more compatible tank mates.

He seems like a decently easygoing betta, never really bothers the snail ever and is quite active and happy; but i want to give him more swimming space and some friends for company.

Let me know what you guys think of this:

26 gallon tank with...
Sherlock (Betta)
Watson (mystery snail)
Zebra Snail
Trumpet Snail
4 Ghost Shrimp
African Dwarf Frog
3-5 Endler's Livebearers

I plan on making it a NPT with lots of plants and many hiding spots. Do you guys think they'll all be good in there or should i go bigger?

Last edited by Noobalva; 02-10-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Noobalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Sounds good!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #3 
eemmais

I'm pretty sure ADF need to be kept in groups.
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #4 
aemaki09

Looks good! you could definitely get away with adding a few more endlers if you wanted too.

Also, ADF's dont need to be kept in groups, but they are much more active when they have a few more friends with them. It'd help liven up your tank quite a bit.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

I'd be worried that the tank is too deep for ADFs. They aren't strong swimmers and may struggle to reach the surface.

Personally, I'd get at least two males and four female Endlers, so you can have babies. :D The betta will act as population controller and purebred Endlers are usually in demand. However, if you aren't confident that you could rehome them, I'd definitely have a larger group of males. :) 10 would look so pretty.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #6 
Noobalva

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I'd be worried that the tank is too deep for ADFs. They aren't strong swimmers and may struggle to reach the surface.

Personally, I'd get at least two males and four female Endlers, so you can have babies. :D The betta will act as population controller and purebred Endlers are usually in demand. However, if you aren't confident that you could rehome them, I'd definitely have a larger group of males. :) 10 would look so pretty.
Yea i was worried about that too bomb. But i noticed that my LFS keep their ADFs in deep tanks(probably cuz they know nothing) and they look good. What im gonna do if have floatong plants and tall ornaments to help the ADF stay close to the suface or help get up there easier. You think that'll be good??

Also thanks everyone, looks like i will be getting more Endlers than i thought!
And Bomb good idea with the breeding, i definetly think on that.

Last edited by Noobalva; 02-11-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #7 
firefox1984

Dwarf Puffer's and Bettas

I am new to the Betta world and so far I love it. I bought two dwarf puffer fish yesterday and today as I was feeding my fish I noticed that my male Betta has damage on his tail. My question is are the dwarf puffer fish known to be aggressive towards Betta's? I love my Betta and I moved him to a breeding take because I want to try to breed them but I eventually want to move him back to the community tank but I want him to be safe. Can anyone help me with this?
firefox1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #8 
Noobalva

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox1984 View Post
I am new to the Betta world and so far I love it. I bought two dwarf puffer fish yesterday and today as I was feeding my fish I noticed that my male Betta has damage on his tail. My question is are the dwarf puffer fish known to be aggressive towards Betta's? I love my Betta and I moved him to a breeding take because I want to try to breed them but I eventually want to move him back to the community tank but I want him to be safe. Can anyone help me with this?
Well i don't know too much about dwarf puffer fish, but what i do know is that most puffers are extremely curious. So they'll bite things out of curiosity/boredom(or even hunger) especially the fins of other fish.

But like i said, i can't say too much about the Dwarf Puffer exactly -- try posting up a new thread with this question, maybe you can get a more experienced member to respond.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #9 
Fenghuang

Dwarf puffers (all puffers actually) are extremely aggressive and territorial. Dwarf puffers really should be kept by themselves as a single individual without any tankmates, unless it is a very large tank.

Noobalva, the choice of names for your betta and mystery snail are just so great. If you're going to keep both male and female endlers, try to get the ratio of male to female about one to three, like guppies. This will prevent one female from becoming too harrassed and stressed out.

Everything sounds good so far. Please do post pictures when you finish your tank.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 02-12-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #10 
Noobalva

Haha thanks Feng, my gf helped me name them...and ill be sure to keep that in mind about the endlers. :)