Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2013, 12:57 AM   #11 
callistra

Kanaplex will take at least a week to arrive. So I would treat a week with Triple Sulfa and at that point you should know if it is helping because she should be a lot better. If it's not try the Kanaplex.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #12 
bettagrandma

Found triple sulfa in packets made for 10 gallons--each packet had 1/2 teaspoon of medicine in it, so I left her in her 5 gallon tank so I could dose her accurately. I took the filter cartridge out of her filter but left the motor on so it would keep the water moving--is that okay or should I get an airstone for treatment?
Again, thanks for the info.
bettagrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #13 
callistra

Well what filter do you have? You only need to remove carbon inserts.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #14 
bettagrandma

It's a whisper in-tank filter. I have the filters that you have to assemble yourself--so I can put in a filter that has no carbon. Or i can leave it filterless.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #15 
Azurelove

I have a question, is that yellow dusting on her back part of her natural color? Or is that new?
Azurelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #16 
bettagrandma

The yellow or gray faded looking parts are new. I looked at pictures of velvet, though, and close up they don't look the same as the pictures i've seen. But the change in her color has only come about over the past couple of days.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #17 
Azurelove

Probably just me, then. It looks like some of the pictures I've seen, though hers looks less dusty and more fuzzy. It could simply be a manifestation that hasn't been caught on camera yet, too.

It will usually be in the dorsal area and cause labored breathing and the fish attempting to scratch itself on objects. Is she scratching or rubbing herself in such a way? I've also read a couple velvet cases that began as a white spot.

Might be worth a try if the Triple Sulfa and Kanaplex don't work, or if you see the yellow spreading. They should at least help with the fin rot, if anything, though if the velvet's really an issue (not saying it is velvet for sure), then she'll continue to be stressed and you won't see much improvement in her fins.

Last edited by Azurelove; 02-11-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Azurelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #18 
bettagrandma

Still just treating with triple sulfa over here. Have been looking at her with an LED flashlight and can see now that there is a distinctly fuzzy white spot. I wasn't able to get a picture of it (3.1 mp, 2001 era camera FTW) but was able to get a picture of her fins. Her top fin is ragged, but lower and tail fin look about like they always have (but since her tank is only lit by room lights, I admit that I haven't examined her fins much in the year we've had her).
I did the first two days of triple sulfa, then did a water change. I went ahead and added the next dose of the meds. Testing the water parameters--nitrate has dropped to zero, nitrite stays at zero. Going today to get dropper-test kits.
Attached Images