Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #1 
Roemgie

POP EYE signs???

Poop Poop POOP! Ok so I've always noticed back home that the betta's with pop eye seemed to be exclusively big eared males (they didn't have females).

I was thinking of buying some almond leaves because I've heard that those are good for naturally helping the bettas instead of loading them on medications, should I? (I may just go ahead and get some just in case)

Well I thought that was only at home because there isn't a petco near my college.

Well my new blue female has one eye that is getting cloudy and isn't looking that great 0_0

I'm getting REALLY worried because maybe it is in all big earred that pop eye is a big issue?? I don't really have any medications on me except Maracyn Two and I also don't want to jump to medicating unless it is a must do!

I just did a water change when I noticed.

I have her in a 2.5 heated tank. I am planning on doing 20% water changes either once a week or every two weeks (depending on ammonia levels) and then 100% water change every 4 to 5 weeks. I just got her and my other one about a week ago and they were with the transporter for a week before then so this must be from something I have!

Here are some pictures

This is one of the first pictures I took of her. I was using a different setting so that the colors would pop and I also had the flash on. SO I don't know how much that would effect this

And here's another only this is her now 'good side'

Here's some from the day I got her

Like every betta parent I want to hear that I'm totally wrong but I also understand that I may be right :'(

Here are the pictures from today:

Notice how this eye is more cloudy

Here's another one, to me I can notice there's a slight size difference

Here's another one of that side, I would love it if it was just her pigments but I don't think so

I don't know if maybe the background effects this or the lighting but here is one of the better pictures I got of her so you could see both sides

Here's her 'good side'

Another good side

Bad side

Last edited by Roemgie; 03-19-2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: To add more things
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #2 
ANHEL123

not sure if it pop eye wait for someone else response. But how he doing otherwise ? Is he active and eating?
I would recommend to go to any pharmacy department and buy unscented Epsom salt, so you have it on hands. It helps with pop eye. Esom salt is very mild and helpful with if it pop eye. It also has antibacterial/fungal affect. You always need to pre mix it and make sure it dissolved . You can use 2tsp/gall with daily 100% water changes. You can lower the water in his main tank or just have him in the hospital tank.
Also for 2.5 gall you really need to do 1-50% and 1-100% water changes a week. I even like to do 2-50% and 1-100% a week. And do you know how to acclimate your betta to the new water when you do 100% water changes so you don't shock him with drastic temperature difference?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #3 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
not sure if it pop eye wait for someone else response. But how he doing otherwise ? Is he active and eating?
I would recommend to go to any pharmacy department and buy unscented Epsom salt, so you have it on hands. It helps with pop eye. Esom salt is very mild and helpful with if it pop eye. It also has antibacterial/fungal affect. You always need to pre mix it and make sure it dissolved . You can use 2tsp/gall with daily 100% water changes. You can lower the water in his main tank or just have him in the hospital tank.
Also for 2.5 gall you really need to do 1-50% and 1-100% water changes a week. I even like to do 2-50% and 1-100% a week. And do you know how to acclimate your betta to the new water when you do 100% water changes so you don't shock him with drastic temperature difference?
Well I heard from someone else it looks more like an eye infection rather than popping out. It looks popped out to me :(. And i'll defiantly get epsom salt! I just gave her a dose of Maracyn Two (recommended from the other person) and i made sure to cut the dose so that it would be right for a 2.5 gallon tank.
And yes I know how to, I went a little fast this time because she hates being in a solid cup. So I have to get clear cups, dark blue and clear seems to be the best for them to keep them calm.
She is also active, eating, and seems perfectly normal. If I hadn't gone up close to her I wouldn't have noticed this at all. (I also fed her too much yesterday so she's a little bloated from that and is swimming a little off, most likely due to gulping too much air while getting the food).

Thank you for replying! The treatment with Maracyn Two is suppose to be for 5 days, so I was going to do that and then see what happens afterwards. Would it be ok to add epsom salt along with the Maracyn Two or is that way to much in one tank?
Old 03-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #4 
Crowntails

Espom salts will defiantly help. When my betta had it, I did water changes everyday and added some epsom salts. They eye went down within a week. I heard that the cause of pop eye is poor water conditions.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #5 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowntails View Post
Espom salts will defiantly help. When my betta had it, I did water changes everyday and added some epsom salts. They eye went down within a week. I heard that the cause of pop eye is poor water conditions.
So do you think I shouldn't treat with Maracyn Two? And I've been keeping her water clean, I did a 20% water change before I left this weekend and i checked ammonia levels and they all seemed fine but I went ahead and did 100% when I saw her eye.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #6 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowntails View Post
Her eye defiantly seems like it has popped out more! I will run by CVS tomorrow to get the epsom salt and I'll also do the Maracyn Two treatment for the 5 days then add epsom salt as so that I don't mix everything too much!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:58 PM   #7 
Roemgie

"Bump"
Old 03-19-2013, 11:24 PM   #8 
Roemgie

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Life Spectrum and Omega 3
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day usually small pieces

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I just got her but my plan was to do about 20-50% water change once a week depending on ammonia levels

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Depends.

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Bettasafe and Get started from walmart

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I have not cycled my tank so everything is 0

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Her left eye has gotten cloudy
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? She is fine other than she seems to have a little swim bladder issue from over feeding

When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today around 11-noon
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes I have started her on Maracyn Two
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I just got her
How old is your fish (approximately)? I believe she's about 6-8 months maybe
Old 03-19-2013, 11:51 PM   #9 
Jexx

I believe 20% in a 2.5 gallon tank is not enough. I believe you need to be doing a 50% and a 100% water change every week minimum.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:52 PM   #10 
Jexx

also, if it is an eye infection I would continue with the treatment of maracyn as prescribed.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote