Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2015, 09:42 PM   #1 
hersheys

Water changes while I'm gone

I will be going on a two month trip for work out of state. I am currently in the process of cycling, hoping it will cycle in time before I leave next month. I will be asking my parents to care for my two bettas. I don't want them to too much work for me as it may be a hassle for the two months.

What is the bare minimum for water change on a 2.5g tank cycled? Also for a 5.5g tank cycled? Should I tell them to feed less so they produce less waste/fast an extra day?

For those who have experience w/ having a cycled 2.5g tank what are you thoughts on keeping the parameters low when cycled? I do not have any live plants.
hersheys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #2 
VivianKJean

I have cycled 2.5 gallon tanks.

2.5 gallon - they really need 2 50% water change a week. Once in a while you can get away with 1 50% water change. I don't know if I would let two months go by with a 2.5 gallon only getting 1 50% water change a week. If your parents were going to do this then make sure you have Seachem Prime as your water conditioner and instruct them to add 1-2 drops to the tank each day to help protect your fish from nitrates.

5.5 gallon - this needs one 50% water change a week.

The water needs to be changed at least once a week, no longer than that.

the other thing is that especially with the 2.5 gallon and the tanks being newly cycled that you need make sure the water gets tested every other week or every week. When I first cycled my 2.5 gallon tanks I tested the water every week for six months to make sure the cycle was still going.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:35 PM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

While I admire Viv's standards of water care, I'm a little less disciplined when it comes to my 2.5g and 5g tanks. I've let both size tanks go 2-weeks between water changes. The main parameters remained 0,0 and <20. I'm sure the minerals were somewhat depleted and the dissolved waste was more than usual. There was no change in the appearance or behavior of the livestock.

My only concern is that your tanks are newly cycled and should be monitored more carefully than a mature tank whose cycle has been established for a month or more. Adding Prime every day should not be necessary in a cycled tank.

By all means cut back on food. Half portions daily with a couple of fasting days will help keep the tank clean between changes.

If I remember, your 2.5g is cycled, right? To assure that the 5g is cycled before you leave, you might want to dose a small bottle of Tetra Safestart.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:18 PM   #4 
hersheys

Ok guys thanks for the input.

Hally- both my tanks are currently in the process of cycling. Can you use the tetra safestart while fish is in? I've never read anything about it yet. How would go I with kick starting my cycle with fish in?
Old 05-13-2015, 05:12 PM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Go for it, H. TSS is made to be used fish-in. Mix a small bottle of TSS thoroughly in a gallon of water. Rinse out the bottle in there. Pour 2/3 into the 5g and 1/3 into the 2.5g.

Change water as usual. Dose Prime 2-drops/gal daily as usual. Check your readings frequently. You ought to be cycled in a week or 10-days. Let us know how it works.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:23 PM   #6 
hersheys

Couldn't find TSS at my petco or a lps. I want to look at Petsmart but it is a little far from where I live.