Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #1 
stellar981

Tank cycling... am I doing something wrong?

My tank has been "cycling" since the end of Nov. Still have not seen ANY nitrites or any Ammonia. I don't understand why it is taking so long. My water test always seems to come out the same color for Ammonia, either yellow or between yellow and that light green. But its always the same color! I think I am just having trouble reading what the color actually is. Looks yellow to me! Should I worry about my test kit? Maybe I am not testing properly? I test the ammonia and nitrites regularly. NOTHING. I guess I am wondering if I could be doing something wrong.. Its a ten gallon, with a single male betta. I also have a 5 gallon with a single male betta, but that one hasn't been set up as long. Neither have showed signs of cycling.

Any tips/advice is appreciated!
stellar981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #2 
tekkguy

Are you seeing any nitrAte? have you tested for it?

It could be that the cycle completed and you just didn't see it! If you have fish in the tank, you will definitely have ammonia. The cycle will take over from there.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #3 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
Are you seeing any nitrAte? have you tested for it?

It could be that the cycle completed and you just didn't see it! If you have fish in the tank, you will definitely have ammonia. The cycle will take over from there.
No, I haven't tested for nitrate.. Since I thought I had to see Nitrites before any Nitrates would show up... I guess maybe that's my issue? I will test for that tonight. They are both fish-in cycles. I have never seen a test come back where the ammonia is really showing up, that's what gets me. Unless I am slightly color blind!
Old 02-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #4 
tekkguy

The cycle is probably complete ... 4 months is a long time, even in a 10 gallon with only 1 betta. Let us know how the nitrate test comes out!
Old 02-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #5 
stellar981

It's more like just over two months. End of jan would have been two months.

Ok will let you know after I test!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Like Tekkguy says, you're probably cycled. One Betta in 10gal could actually cycle your tank below the sensitivity of our hobby-grade test kits to detect. The givaway will be nitrate. If the cycle is operating, it will ultimately produce enough nitrate to detect.

To get a more accurate nitrate reading, shake the #2 nitrate bottle extremely well. You can pull out the dropper part of the bottle (carefully, with pliers) and insert a pea-sized bead or bit of gravel. This makes a "rattlecan" out of your #2 bottle to make mixing easier and more thorough.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #7 
stellar981

Thanks for all your help, both of you. I did do the nitrate test tonight. It still looks pretty bright yellow. Maybe on the darker side. But my five gallon on the other hand was closer to that light orange. I just did water changes last nite, will that effect nitrates at all? So I guess it's safe to assume if I am seeing any lathing besides bright yellow, that its cycled? I also have some algae growth in the ten gallon. Does that mean anything?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #8 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar981 View Post
Thanks for all your help, both of you. I did do the nitrate test tonight. It still looks pretty bright yellow. Maybe on the darker side. But my five gallon on the other hand was closer to that light orange. I just did water changes last nite, will that effect nitrates at all? So I guess it's safe to assume if I am seeing any lathing besides bright yellow, that its cycled? I also have some algae growth in the ten gallon. Does that mean anything?
Yes, that might explain it. Water changes remove nitrates (assuming your tap doesn't have nitrates). Algae will also eat up nitrates. If you have algae at all, I'd say with about 99% certainty that your cycle is complete. Algae has to have food - that means (assuming you aren't fertilizing) that you have a nitrogen cycle going.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:36 AM   #9 
Hallyx
Reference Team

In a lightly stocked 5g or 10g tank, it really doesn't matter whether you call it cycled. It's important to do a 50% weekly water change anyway, to remove DOCs (dissolved organic compounds ) and TDSs (total dissolved solids).

With this schedule, even the minimum amount of nitrifying bacteria will suffice, Put some live plants in there and your fish is safe and serene.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #10 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
In a lightly stocked 5g or 10g tank, it really doesn't matter whether you call it cycled. It's important to do a 50% weekly water change anyway, to remove DOCs (dissolved organic compounds ) and TDSs (total dissolved solids).

With this schedule, even the minimum amount of nitrifying bacteria will suffice, Put some live plants in there and your fish is safe and serene.
I do have one anubias in there. I am new to fish keeping, I'd like to add more. But I don't want anything too high maintenance or something that will require me to know much about lighting/fertalizing, quite yet. I just want to successfully keep the fish for now, and then if it becomes more than that, great. So knowing this, what other plants COULD I add? I also need to find more decor. I currently have the anubias on a piece of driftwood. And only one silk plant and a rock, a mug for him to hide in. Oh and a moss ball. Its pretty bare for ten gal. And the 5 gal is also pretty bare still. I'm not so good at arranging things to make it look good. I guess that comes with time? If you can point me in the direction of some new low-maint plants, and some good decor options - that would be awesome!