Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #11 
Nicci Lu

Sorry to jump in here, but I just wanted to clarify the answer to one of Stellar981's questions as I have a slightly similar situation. She said that her ammonia reading was that yellowish-greenish color that sometimes looks as though it might be yellow and sometimes looks to have a bit of green in it. With her one betta in the 10 gallon, she might be cycled despite the ambiguous ammonia reading?

Stellar981, get java fern. I have the black thumb of death and have even managed to kill most of my frogbit, which is supposed to end up overrunning the tank. But I don't think I could kill the java fern if I tried...well, maybe if I really tried... :) It's a great plant, only requires low light. You'd have to tie it to something, as with the anubias.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #12 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar981 View Post
I do have one anubias in there. I am new to fish keeping, I'd like to add more. But I don't want anything too high maintenance or something that will require me to know much about lighting/fertalizing, quite yet. I just want to successfully keep the fish for now, and then if it becomes more than that, great. So knowing this, what other plants COULD I add? I also need to find more decor. I currently have the anubias on a piece of driftwood. And only one silk plant and a rock, a mug for him to hide in. Oh and a moss ball. Its pretty bare for ten gal. And the 5 gal is also pretty bare still. I'm not so good at arranging things to make it look good. I guess that comes with time? If you can point me in the direction of some new low-maint plants, and some good decor options - that would be awesome!
Java fern, any mosses, dwarf sag, any crypts ... all of these would be good low maintenance plants for your tank. The dwarf sag does take some trimming every now and then - if it's happy, it sends runners and new little plantlets all over your tank!
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #13 
stellar981

thanks, both of you! what is a good plant of the choices that you gave me, that would be more of a floater, if any? I've seen a lot of people on here with tanks that have floaty plants. They say their bettas like em. Where do you guys get your plants? I had a link to an online place, but I don't know where to look for it again. It was in an old post, who knows where now!
stellar981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #14 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar981 View Post
thanks, both of you! what is a good plant of the choices that you gave me, that would be more of a floater, if any? I've seen a lot of people on here with tanks that have floaty plants. They say their bettas like em. Where do you guys get your plants? I had a link to an online place, but I don't know where to look for it again. It was in an old post, who knows where now!
Any kind of moss will float and migrate around the tank ... riccia is also a good floater. These float IN the water. If you are wanting something that floats ON the water, you could go with simple duckweed or frogbit ... just be aware that once you have it, you have it for life, lol.

I buy all of my plants from local people or on another forum I'm part of. Can't link to that one here, but you can PM me. There are plenty of places to buy online also.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #15 
Crowntails

Duckweed is a good floated, but it grows fast! You'll be pulling some out everyday if you have good lighting.

I might have missed this, but is there CO2 in the tank?
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #16 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowntails View Post
Duckweed is a good floated, but it grows fast! You'll be pulling some out everyday if you have good lighting.

I might have missed this, but is there CO2 in the tank?
I'm assuming this would be a supplement for the plants? No, I have nothing as of yet. I was looking for a plant that wouldn't require fertilization. Or if it does, something really low maintenance/easy. Right now I only have one anubias and have not fertilized or anything. I'm a beginner. :)
Old 02-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #17 
Nicci Lu

Floating plants won't require CO2 because they're exposed to the air and don't need to get it from the water. Water lettuce is another good floating plant. You will need good lighting for floaters...what light set up do you have?

I bought my frogbit off ebay.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #18 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci Lu View Post
Floating plants won't require CO2 because they're exposed to the air and don't need to get it from the water. Water lettuce is another good floating plant. You will need good lighting for floaters...what light set up do you have?

I bought my frogbit off ebay.
I honestly have no idea what lighting I have. I bought the hood from a LPS, its by Deep Blue. I think the bulb is fairly small, and its a fluorescent. It has the little blue nightime bulb also, which I never use because my light is on a timer. So I have a feeling I don't have the right lighting then for a floater. Maybe I will stick to something else that can handle low light for now. I like the hood for the most part. I am not sure if I can upgrade the bulbs in a hood like that. If I can, I guess I would be willing to upgrade. I just dont want to have to buy a whole new hood. If I knew more about this when I got it, I likely wouldnt have bought that hood!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #19 
stellar981

ok, another question for everyone.. Now that we have established that my tank is likely cycled. And I will also be adding at least one more plant. Could I add a tank mate at this point? Ill be honest, I don't really have another tank or space for another, if he doesn/t get along with a tank mate. Is any particular species more compatible with bettas than others? I always wanted to add something else. I really like some cories I have seen at my LPS. But would be likely be more aggressive with them, over another type of fish? I like the ghost shrimp too, but I see alot on here about fish seeing them as food. And this fish LOVES his food. So that makes me more nervous. IDK what to do...More life in this tank would be awesome though!
Old 02-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #20 
stellar981

I was on a website looking at plants and came across a couple that really jumped out at me.. I really like Ancharis and Brazillian Pennywort. Any experience with those?

This is what I have gathered in my cart per recommendation and per searching and finding a couple that are just nice looking! :)

3 medium MOSS BALLS, Marimo Ball, Cladophora aegagrophila Price Each: $15.99 $15.99
JAVA FERN (Microsorum pteropus) easy plant Price Each: $3.79 $7.58
Anacharis narrow Leaf, Egeria Nanas, Very pretty plant Price Each: $3.19 $3.19
Brazilian Pennywort, VERY EASY PLANT Price Each: $3.29 $6.58

Last edited by stellar981; 02-12-2013 at 03:00 PM.