Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #1 
VJM

If you had a clean slate...

I am starting with nothing, so I thought it would be fun (and educational for me) to play a little game with you more experienced and educated people.

Imagine you go back to no fish, no tanks, no plants, no nothing. Yet you have this burning desire for bettas. The tank is going in your office, where you spend waaaaaay too much time. Not a huge office, but there is a window with bright afternoon light, and little traffic.

Just for fun, let's say money isn't a limiting factor.

What would you do? What would you avoid like the plague? Extra points for wild flights of fancy, and practical advice that pertains to my situation.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #2 
aemaki09

I would start with a larger fluval tank and do either a very heavily planted NPT with it or make it heavily planted and add CO2. Then get a bunch of red cherry shrimps and a few tiger Endlers and possibly add a fancy HM from aquabid as a centerpiece fish.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #3 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
)Just for fun, let's say money isn't a limiting factor.
You obviously have a better job than me or no significant other! lol

In my small office I have a Marineland Hex 5 on one side of my desk and a 2.5 bowfront on the other. The Marineland is far and away my favorite of all my betta tanks and would be the only tank I ever used if I could afford 6 or 7 of them!
The pump in the lid uses no space inside the tank except the slender intake tube which is easily concealed by plants. The bio wheel helps to add and maintain BB during filter changes. The flow is gentle and does not affect my betta in any way. The hex design looks nice and modern on my desk without taking up alot of room. I bring gallon jugs and only have to change one gallon of water per week so it's not a chore in my office.

The big reason.......Little Ricky loves it and got his name after my boss cause he comes to the wall nearest me and flares at me (fish not my boss lol) as if he is the boss and is saying "get back to work!"
Attached Images

waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #4 
Catie79

I have this all planned out for my own cube, but can't do it because my job doesn't allow us to have fish tanks.

I would get the Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long aquarium. It's 36" long but shallow, so the betta would have so much room to explore. It would look gorgeous running along the back of my desk. I'd plant it, but nothing too high maintenance since it's my office. I can't spend every minute working on the tank. I'd plant lots of crypts and find neat pieces of driftwood to make the landscape really interesting and interactive for my betta. Small pieces of Mopani wood stacked up makes fascinating but very customizable wood shapes. I'd put in a java moss carpet along the front. I would get the 36" Marineland Double Bright LED light and a Finnex 360 cannister filter with a custom spray bar. I'd toss in a small school of otos to manage algae and, depending on the betta, some red cherry shrimp to add more movement.

That is, of course, with cost as no object. Reality? A Petco 6 gal bookshelf tank with a nice collection of crypts and mosses and some interesting things for the betta to explore. It's a great size for a desk and a great shape for a betta.
Catie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

hmmm money us no limitibg factor?
I saw some pretty google images of iwagumi scapes :O
So I went out and got an ADA mini M....
Invested in a nice CO2 tank and setup as well as a first class atomiser.
Dreaming of a Uticularian Graminifolia carpet...
I would buy a radion light....
have some erios for the middle ground....
back ground plants... hmm. I dunno maybe I wont have a background.
I would probably dry start this tank...
and ofcourse, I will invest in the most beautiful betta in the world ;)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:29 AM   #6 
VJM

It's probably a warning sign that I love all these ideas, and want all these tanks, right?
Old 02-12-2013, 01:45 AM   #7 
Hadoken Kitty

If I was to start fresh, I would start with aquascaping.

I would buy a 36 bow and start aquascaping. If I knew about it before, I would've done it first. Not sure if I would've had the patience, though, after seeing some of the fish on AB that I've seen lately. Honestly, I would really like to recreate something along the lines of the following pic for a sorority one day:
Attached Images

Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:10 AM   #8 
VJM

Wow. That is absolutely gorgeous.

Catie79's idea has gotten me really interested in a long tank, which I am dying to aquascape.

If it turned out half as beautiful as the one above, I would be thrilled.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #9 
efg321

Mr. Aqua 12 long rimless 5*****
efg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

If I am allowed a fish tank at my future job, I will get myself a Fluval Edge and a copper halfmoon and create a little Zen garden for him. :)

If you could get the Petco bookshelf 6.6 gal over here, though, I'd get that.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote