Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #1 
Viva

Rant: I dislike my cat but I also still love it and hope it lives a really easy life

So I woke up to find my most beloved plant destroyed on the floor because my cat fished it out the back of my 10 gallon tank and tried playing with it. My HMDT's fins were also all torn up from the invasion. I threw some cardboard on there and taped it but then I found the cardboard in my tank the next morning. Duct tape seems to work but its not sticking very well because it gets wet too often. Last night I threw a towel over the tank to see if that would do anything, but it was just on the floor when I woke up.

Grr, I am so upset about this untimely event. I woke up and cried immediately because I thought something worse had happened. I just want to pinch her little cheeks so hard until she meows.

I can't wait to move so my cats can be outside and roam free like a real cat is supposed to.

I ordered some new plants because of this, only a $40 loss on me. No big deal. I ordered 2 new Anubias Frazeri (thats the plant she destroyed) she also destroyed several ludwigia stems so I got some of that. I got hornwort too, so I hope it does well because I hate when it sheds its needles!!!! I also got some new Java Moss for my new 10g divided tank.

Last edited by Viva; 02-20-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hey I just thought of something, cat dont like sticky tape maybe you get try some two sided tape all on that side of the tank. I have heard lots of people using to keep cats off stuff and it works from what I have heard.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I like that idea. I was going to do that if I got s cat but Imp getting a dog instead. Lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

IMO cats shouldn't be outside. Parasites, car crashes, coyotes, etc. plus the fact that they pee and poop all over people's property.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #5 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
IMO cats shouldn't be outside. Parasites, car crashes, coyotes, etc. plus the fact that they pee and poop all over people's property.
+++++1
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:03 AM   #6 
Tazman
TFK Moderator

garlic powder works as well, they hate the smell of it, sprinkle a bit on the side of the tank.
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #7 
aemaki09

Double sides tape works like a charm!!
My boyfriends parents put it on a piece of paper and stick it on their headboard, tables, and counters whenever they notice one of their cats climbing where they shouldn't and within a few days their bad habit is broken. Obviously the temptation ends up being too much eventually, but it helps for a while before you have to do it again :)
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #8 
madmonahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Unless you take proper care of them. Shots, flea treatment, ect. Our cats outside are healthy, and they mostly go in little "woods" (just a few trees behind our house to seperate us from the other house) behind our house to go pee or poo. If they don't do that, they bury their business. And because they are fixed they don't spray everywhere. (We have more boy cats) it just depends on the owner and cat.
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #9 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonahan View Post
it just depends on the owner and cat.
It depends a lot on the type of neighborhood you live in. If your cat makes a neighbor angry that neighbor has the right to trap it and take it to a shelter or pound. Just as if their dog kept coming on their property. I think living way out in the country could be a little safer for an outside cat except for the coyotes and other wild animals that might get them.

I hope OldFishLady posts here, she has a ton of cats and I know some are outside. She lives in the middle of nowhere
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #10 
aemaki09

We have always had atleast a couple outdoor cats everywhere I have lived. Out in the country, in town, right outside of town. Never had an issue. They never strayed far because they knew where the food was. We would crack our garage door during the days so they could come and go as they pleased with a litter box, food, and beds to keep them comfy, at night they knew to come inside and we would shut the door so no wild animals could get in. The neighbors never had an issue because they stayed on our property 90% of the day.
We even lived in an apartment complex with them being indoor outdoor. They would go in the tree line behind my house and stay on our deck, that was it while they were outdoors, they would come in to go to the bathroom and eat and that was it. Never had complaints about that either, actually had a lot of neighbors that did the same.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote