Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #1 
Lunchbox148

Gill disease?

Hello everyone!
I recently bought a Betta from a mainstream pet store, He was missing parts of his fins, and when I put it in it's new tank it started gasping for breath.. So yesterday I decided to medicate it with Maracyn Two. He seems to be doing a lot better and stoped gasping... But he rarely goes up and gets air, and when he dose he takes an exaggerated breath. He has zero appetite. My question is is this gill disease? His gills seem to be flapping abnormally. He seems to be doing a lot better, after medication. When I first put him in the tank I put aquarium salt in before hand and cycling liquid,and stuff to take out chlorine liquid ... My main question is should I be changing his tank everyday and put the new amount of medication in? Or is it better to have the old medication in and wait untill the 5 days of medicating is up? (he is in a 1 gallon filtered aquarium)
Thanks so much!

Last edited by Lunchbox148; 02-11-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Lunchbox148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #2 
PaulO

First off it would be best to take him off the meds unless he has something severe like velvet or ich it would be a little less stressful for the fish. As for the lying on the bottom you have to understand this is a new enviroment for him and it is a bit of a shock. Hopefully you acclimated him but if not it is okay. Before we start talking about further action it would really help to know the following info:

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Don't worry if you can't fill out all the info just the most you can especially his tank and water info. Thanks
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #3 
Lunchbox148

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
First off it would be best to take him off the meds unless he has something severe like velvet or ich it would be a little less stressful for the fish. As for the lying on the bottom you have to understand this is a new enviroment for him and it is a bit of a shock. Hopefully you acclimated him but if not it is okay. Before we start talking about further action it would really help to know the following info:

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Don't worry if you can't fill out all the info just the most you can especially his tank and water info. Thanks

It's a 1 gallon filtered tank I just bought a betta last week for myself and after falling in love with him and researching I decided to ditch the 1 gallon and buy him a 5 gallon... However he is very healthy and happy but when I bought my 5 gallon my mom decided to use my 1 gallon and buy a betta for herself this is the betta that is sick I'm waiting my my second heater to come because I bought it online I know a lot of ppl are gonna yell at me for not having his new betta heated and I know better so soon he will be heated like mine in the 5 gallon..should be here in 2 days or today! She bought him 2 days ago and I have not changed his water yet and I do not have a test kit yet, It's the next thing on my list.. I'm going to finish the medication because I don't want to take any chances and I've seen it Maracyn Two work miracles... Should I change his water today and put the recommended dose for the second day of treatment? Thanks so much for the help !! I'm going to talk my mom into buying him a bigger tank! or I will buy it myself. 1 gallon tanks are like living in a closet!
Old 02-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #4 
PaulO

Unless your betta is showing DEFINITE signs of a serious disease I would NOT treat with antibiotics as there are many factors and alternative options. Antibiotics/Antivirals should only be used as the LAST resort, the reasons are numerous including fish stress, medication resistant diseases evolving, and possible harm and damage done to the fish's liver and other internal organs. I am linking an article that OFL wrote that hopefully will convince you to reconsider your current medicating of the fish.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=127058

My personal opinion is that your fish was introduced rapidly to a new enviroment with a noticeable difference in ph and other water conditions. This could be compared to moving from the beach to the desert (keep in mind it's just an example for comparasin and not actually that simple) The fish is probably in shock but the fact that you have had it for a week and it's still alive means it started to acclimate itself. Medication is more likely going to cause more harm then good as they will probably stress the fish and there is a risk of it catching a disease if you take it off the med's. Now on the other hand if you continue to medicate you just continue the fish's stress and lower it's chances of survival. I would immediately take this fish off it's med's do a 100% water change and filter with activated carbon to get rid of any meds still in the water. If you are worried about the fish don't be they have lived for hundreds if not thousands of years and evolution has made them hardy enough to adapt. Instead of medications I would opt for a more conservative approach of clean water, stress coat, and indian almond leaves, too many people underestimate the value of clean water and a fish's ow immune system. Like I said before this is my personal opinion and I do not wish to shove it down your throat, take it like a grain of salt and hopefully when you make your decision you will be confident and well informed.

-Paul O

Last edited by PaulO; 02-11-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #5 
Lunchbox148

Thanks A lot! I'm going to take heed to your advice and change his water and take him off the meds! Thanks again, and Joesph says thank you as well! The areas of fin rot have become translucent dose this mean his fins are regenerating? When I change his water I will put in the following: water the same temprature as his previous, De-chloraine, sugjested amount of aquarium salt for 1 gallon, and Jungle Start Zyme for biological balance is this all okay?
thanks again
Old 02-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #6 
PaulO

Yeah generally clear fins mean regrowth (at least from all other fin rot posts) give him a week and a half so 10 days on just clean water, if he acts normal (swims around, eats, other common betta behaviours) then you've got a healthy betta on your hands and you won't need aquarium salt. Generally the best medication is clean water and as many people say an ounce of prevention is worth a gallon of cure *or something like that*. If you want more info there are some really great stickies at the top of the betta disease emergency & disease page and remember lurking on other posts isn't a bad thing. It's always good to ask questions as there are plenty of people willing to teach you new things and I wish you and Joseph the best.

-Paul O

Last edited by PaulO; 02-11-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #7 
callistra

I just want to say that A LOT (I would dare say most) people disagree with OFL's stance on never using antibiotics. But that is one viewpoint.

Anyway, since you have already started an antibiotic it is very important you finish the round according to the box, or else you can breed an antibiotic resistant infection.. same as if people were to cut their antibiotics short.

that said, a lot of bettas will come home with some form of fin rot depending on how they are kept at the pet store, clean water is the most important thing for this and aquarium salt can be used for treatment for up to 10 days as well.. but now since you are using an antibiotic it shouldn't be needed. Antibiotics are rarely needed for fin rot.

It sounds like from the gasping you probably shocked him actually.. how did you acclimate him to new water?

Can you share photos of what you are concerned with?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #8 
PaulO

Thanks Callistra I completely forgot about finishing the treatment, if you are in the middle of treatment you might as well finish it just make sure to keep up with water changes afterwards. Anyway it's good that Callistra is here, I haven't had too much experience with medications and it's always good to have a second opinion.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #9 
Lunchbox148

Thank you both I changed his water and put the medicine back in he is acting the same way he was: opening mouth the breath underwater, gills moving more than is seen with healthy bettas.... I've had 4 bettas before and I know what a healthy fish looks like. I've never had this problem before... But on the brighter side he seems to be getting better.. Thanks a lot for the help