Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #1 
joeyoey

Talking Introduction

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd introduce myself. I've been reading here for the past week or so & thought I would finally go about registering & posting something.

I've keep fish off & on for most of my life, but "life" just sort of got in the way of things & I haven't had any fist or tanks in about 10-12 years. It's one of those things I miss & often think that "one of these days" I'll get back into it.

Well, about 2 weeks ago I was at PetCo buying cat food and I strolled through the fish department & for some reason this little red half-moon beta just caught my eye. It was like he was watching me, kind of like larger fish (like oscars) sometimes do. Every time I walked by it was like he was checking me out. Well, I ended up getting him & this little (I admit, too small) 1.5 gallon "mini aquarium" for my desk.

Between him watching me all day long (I swear, he's like a dog or a cat, he watches my every move) & reading the posts on here, I think I've been bitten by "the bug" again. I'm in the beginning stages of putting together his very own 20 gallon tank, complete with driftwood & planted front to back with live plants.

I did have a quick question though. He seems so small. The other bettas were the larger ones I've always seen. He's kind of tiny, probably less than 1.75" from head to tail. When I choose him I assumed he was a baby, but the girl in the checkout line said that's as big as he'll get. Does this sound right?

Anyway, just wanted to say I'm glad to have found this site. There's so much information here and I've really learned a lot since coming here.

Joey
Attached Images

joeyoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

You have a beautiful red doubletailed betta!!! he is so lovely. Most bettas sold at pet stores are around 3-6 months old and grow quite a bit so I think it is likely that your boy will too, he is probably just a bit younger than the others were.

I think it is wonderful that you are setting him up such a nice tank, he will be very happy I am sure! Welcome to the forum
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:13 AM   #3 
SageMyster

Welcome to the forum joey! I love seeing new faces. (: Your double-tail is BEAUTIFUL. As veggiegirl mentioned, the new tank should be a delight for your boy. isn't the betta bug wonderful? ;)
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:21 AM   #4 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
He is beautiful. I was bitten by the betta bug less than a year ago and I have had 7 bettas. I'd say half stayed the same size and the other half either grew in size or changed in other ways, colors, face shape.

I also think most pet store employees don't know anything about bettas, I hear them say things that aren't true all the time.

20 gallon tank - I like your style, ha ha. I really want a 20 gallon long, a 12 gallon long by Mr Aqua .. and for now I love my 6.6 gallon bookshelf tanks which will have to do until I finally have my own place again.

Good luck to you & welcome.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:34 AM   #5 
GoodMorning

It is very likely that he will grow a bit more, they are usually sold young to the stores. Just feed him good meals. All my bettas have grown bigger than when they were first bought because i fed them like pigs, lol.
GoodMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #6 
Shadyr

I got my children each a betta after we had terrible results with ADFs. See sig for where that led *snicker*

Bettas...the potato chips of the fish world.

Welcome (back?) to the fish addiction world, and betta addict central here on these forums!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote