Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #1 
alexlauren

Question White spot on head?

Hi all! I'm a new betta owner as of last night. My cousin was given a betta (by his friend) for his birthday that he had no desire for. My aunt asked if I would take the betta. I agreed because if I hadn't it probably would have remained in that little plastic cup for his whole life. I was never a huge fish fan, but now I've become attached to the little guy! His name is Picasso. However, he seems to have a white spot on his head. I don't know if it's part of his coloring, but after reading about different diseases it's made me a little worried, and I wanted to see if anyone can reassure me, or give me advice on what to do.

Also, I do realize that he's not being kept in ideal conditions right now. I'm actually headed to Petco to go buy a heater, water conditioner, and some other basic items right after I post this thread. :) I've done a lot of research and am going to get a proper tank set up this coming weekend, but for now I don't have time to set up his actual tank yet. The tank that I'm using now is an old one that my brother's betta lived in, but I know it's not nearly big enough.

Housing
What size is your tank? I'm not sure...maybe .5 gallons at the most, probably smaller. :(
What temperature is your tank? Too cold! I think it's 66...
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No, not yet
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Zoo Med Pellets (but I'm open to suggestions about feeding...this is just the food I was given when I was given the fish)
How often do you feed your betta fish? I've fed him two pellets today. My aunt fed him 4 or 5 pellets yesterday.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I gave him new water yesterday - filtered tap water. I didn't have conditioner and I wanted to get him out of his cup water because it was full of poop and cloudy.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? I changed all of the water.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I didn't have anything to add.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No, I haven't tested it.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has this white spot, and I don't know if he's always had it, because I just met him yesterday!
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's somewhat lethargic, I think because he's quite cold, but he still moves around when I move around his tank and swims toward my finger.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? He's had them ever since I got him.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I don't know.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have no idea...he was probably purchased from a pet store less than 5 days ago.

Thank you all for your help! I will post a picture as soon as I can get one of the spot...
alexlauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #2 
alexlauren

Alright, nevermind, I don't know how to post a picture and I have to get to Petco before it closes. I'll try to figure it out once I get home!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

To upload a photo:
Click the "go advanced" button at the bottom of the reply box.
Then select the paperclip icon - about 5th from the right on the top row.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #4 
alexlauren

Thank you, LittleBlueFishlets!

Ok, here are the pictures I could get. The spot looks like the scales have just lost their color in that area...
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #5 
callistra

Well I think clearly the first step is to get him in good quality heated water in a tank of an appropriate size..
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #6 
alexlauren

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Well I think clearly the first step is to get him in good quality heated water in a tank of an appropriate size..
Thanks for the reply! I agree. Like I said, I'm working on that and I'm doing the best I can right now. I just was wondering what measures I could take before I'm able to get him into his permanent tank, or if I will need to make any special preparations before I do that. Just trying to get an idea of what might be wrong so I can go from there.... I know it could be stress or a number of things, so I understand if I need to just wait it out till he's had a little while in the nice tank. I was just worried that waiting a little while might be too long if it is something serious. :(
Old 02-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #7 
callistra

Is it fuzzy at all? It could be columnaris, or my boy's head looked like that when he injured himself on a plastic plant..
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #8 
alexlauren

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Is it fuzzy at all? It could be columnaris, or my boy's head looked like that when he injured himself on a plastic plant..
Mmm...I wouldn't say it's fuzzy, no. It mostly just looks like the scales have lost their color. But now that you say that about the injury, I guess it kind of also looks like the scales could have been scraped off. I'm not sure what could have injured him, since he was just in the plastic cup, but then again - I'm sure it could be a number of things since he was only in a plastic cup. Thanks for replying.

Tags
white spot