Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #1 
Mirage23

Snails

So I've read some places that putting a snail or two in your spawning tank after they are free swimming can be beneficial. I still can't decide whether or not I want to or should. From what I understand they keep the tank clean by eating unbeaten food and dead fry but they produce a lot of ammonia. Any suggestions on whether I should or not? And if I do what would be the proper way of keeping the tank safe. My fry are 1-2 days old now. They spawned Friday.
Mirage23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #2 
aemaki09

If you have live plants in your spawn tank and add a snail or two into the mix than it shouldnt affect ammonia too much. I have like 5 baby ramshorns in my spawn tank right now, with a TON of plants and they are doing a great job at keeping the floor pretty clean.

Just make sure you do atleast 2-3 small water changes per week and you'll be okay.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:48 PM   #3 
Myates

Agree, if you have a lot of plants, one snail wouldn't be bad.. I hate snails, have some.. but hate them.. they poop a TON and breed like crazy, so I try to keep them separated as much as possible. But they can be helpful..

Congrats on the spawn :) I had a spawn on Saturday and another today.. will throw a snail into their tanks when they are a couple weeks old.. I don't trust my snails >.<
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #4 
Mirage23

How do I "clean" them before introducing them? I don't want to introduce a disease to my new fry.

Haha two spawns? That's a lot of babies! Congrats to you too! Both of my bettas were new at it so there aren't that many. Theres still a good number but not hundreds thats for Sure. But I guess that's good since its my first time too. I'm super excited to find out what they look like and to feed them.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #5 
Mirage23

Also what snail do you recommend?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #6 
Myates

Many use ramshorn or just plain mystery snails will work.. some use pong snails as well with success.

I know the feeling of excitement.. it's like "I have to wait weeks and weeks before I see their color??" :P My first spawn has a few hundred that I can see.. looks like I'll be doing a lot of culling :(
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote