Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #1 
Sea Dragon

Bookshelf Aquarium: Cories and Betta

I plan to start a NPT using Petco's 6.6 gal Bookshelf aquarium (8.13" L X 24" W X 9.25" H).

Is the tank big enough to house a betta and 3-4 cories? I read that cories do best in groups of 6 or more, but I also read that juliis do fine in groups of 3-4. My Petco sells albinos and juliis while Petsmart also has emeralds and pandas (I like the panda ones the best). However, neither have pygmies which I heard do well in the 6.6.

If yes, which cory do you recommend? If not, then I think I can settle with a few ghost shrimp and algae eater. (While I'm at it, does anyone know any good substrate aerators beside MTS?)
Sea Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:50 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

considering the length and height of the 6.6 I would say definitely yes. however make sure the tank is established before adding the cories...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:00 AM   #3 
Fishybitty

I don't know, I think that is kind of pushing it :/ 4 cories in a 6 gal.

Do you have a local pet store? Like a ma & pas? If so you could probably request pygmies. Those would be better.

Possibly check aquabid?
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:04 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

swimming space wise the 6.6 gallon has much more horizontal space than a standard ten gallon. this will keep both the betta ans corys happy...
bioload wise... a properly done 6.6 gallon fish tank can take more than 30 small fish...so 5 fish in the petco 6.6 should be just fine.

ofcourse you should NEVER put 30 fish in a 6.6....
Old 02-12-2013, 01:10 AM   #5 
Fishybitty

My 10 gallon is 21 long. Lol it isn't that much longer ;p
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:11 AM   #6 
Sea Dragon

30 fish in a 6.6 gallon sounds like a nightmare hahaha...

I do have a small ma/pa petstore in town :) I'll have to ask my friend to take me there again (haven't gone in a while since its sort of out of the way). I'll check there for pygmies first and see if they take requests.

Alrighty, I'll be sure to have a well-established tank before adding them. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2013, 01:13 AM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishybitty View Post
My 10 gallon is 21 long. Lol it isn't that much longer ;p

haha ur right, i guess mine just felt longer than my 10 o_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dragon View Post
30 fish in a 6.6 gallon sounds like a nightmare hahaha...

I do have a small ma/pa petstore in town :) I'll have to ask my friend to take me there again (haven't gone in a while since its sort of out of the way). I'll check there for pygmies first and see if they take requests.

Alrighty, I'll be sure to have a well-established tank before adding them. Thanks!
be sure to read the npt sticky thoroughly! ie.
1in Miracle gro organic potting mix (sift out the big bits)
1/2 in sand cap
75% and MORE planted with STEM plants >.> (you can switch them out later when the tank establishes a good eco system..
floaters as an extra nitrate sink :)
etc etc

Last edited by ao; 02-12-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:15 AM   #8 
Sea Dragon

I guess being more slender gives that illusion :P oh well, I cant complain about an extra 3 inches.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:32 AM   #9 
sarahspins

You could get tiny cories... these guys are fully grown :) They are Corydoras Habrosus and look/act more like a "big" cory than the pygmy cory (corydoras pygmaeus) does. I think they are my new favorite fish because they are SO cute and so incredibly active.

(not the best pic, I took this with my phone)

My betta doesn't bother them at all.. he was going after the sinking food the cories were munching on. I wouldn't hestitate to keep a dozen of these along with a betta in the 6.6 - they are really quite small.

Last edited by sarahspins; 02-12-2013 at 01:50 AM.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:16 AM   #10 
Sea Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
You could get tiny cories... these guys are fully grown :) They are Corydoras Habrosus and look/act more like a "big" cory than the pygmy cory (corydoras pygmaeus) does. I think they are my new favorite fish because they are SO cute and so incredibly active.

(not the best pic, I took this with my phone)

My betta doesn't bother them at all.. he was going after the sinking food the cories were munching on. I wouldn't hestitate to keep a dozen of these along with a betta in the 6.6 - they are really quite small.
Oh my gosh, they look adorable :D I'll take your word for it and keep an eye out for them at my lfs! ~6 of those guys would probably be happier in a group than 3-4 normal sized cories.