Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #11 
Crowntails

Cories and Bettas should never be kept together! They have different temperature requirements.

Betta's like it at 80, Cories like it at 72-75 degrees. If you keep cories at 80 degrees, they will have a much shorter lifespan. Do not keep them together.

Only pygmy cories can fit in a 6.6 gallon tank. Any other cories needs at least 15 gallons.

All in all, do not keep cories and bettas together.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #12 
ao
TFK Moderator

they do, but most bettas can live just fine in 76F or so without compromising health. providing the water is clean etc.
most tropical fish are not fond of 80F...
infact many people keep shrimps and bettas together, when they are mostly cold water :3
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #13 
Crowntails

Your point is very valid.

IMO, I would never keep a betta below 78 degrees. When I did, my bettas when very less active. Once I brought it up to 80, they perked up right away.

In my experience, this is a bad mix of fish. My peppered cories do bad at over 78 degrees, so there isn't really a compromise temperature to keep both of these fish together.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #14 
registereduser

I have 3 cories in my sorority and everyone is happy and healthy. I just put 3 julis in a community tank that holds tetras a pleco and one male betta. All is well.

Rules are made to be broken I guess
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #15 
ao
TFK Moderator

I see :) it might be the preference of your own bettas too. My own has been in all kinds of temperatures from the low 70s to around 84F, he does slow down, but none of that is an indication of health. fish are cold blooded after all :) it only makes sense that their level of activity is controlled by the heat of the water. technically their lives spans too will be shortened in higher temps.
in all reality, water temperatures in the wild fluctuate. those who catch bettas in the wild can tell you the difference in water temperature between night and day :)
Old 02-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #16 
sarahspins

My bettas are happy and very active at 76-78... my thoughts are that unhappy bettas will not be active in any temperature. Until mine were moved into larger tanks (2 10g tanks, 1 7.9g) they spent a lot of time doing nothing, they'd mostly just find a spot and "park". Now that they're all in larger planted tanks they are much more active - I think they spend a lot of their time exploring (or doing a perimeter check) and only "park" to sleep.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #17 
Crowntails

I guess some bettas do better. I remember my betta Fury was so sensitive to temperatures below 80 degrees.

The pairing would work out though because both are very peaceful!
Old 02-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #18 
sarahspins

BTW, everything I've read says that corydoras habrosus does fine in temps up to 80˚
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #19 
ao
TFK Moderator

hmmm, corydoras hasbrosus are hard to find, I'm not sure about other states.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #20 
Crowntails

They can do okay. I usually recommend cooler though as that is more of a natural environment to them