Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #1 
AbbieZapp

Fish stocking help?

So I have a ten gallon tank for my betta fishie, and I was thinking of adding some other fish with him. I've done a bit of research, and while a lot of what I found was contradictory, I think I've made good choices on what kinds of fish to live with him. My only problem is how many of the fish? I don't want to over stock my aquarium and kill all of them. Can someone give me advice on my list?
What I was thinking so far for my 10 gallon tank:
6 Zebra Danio's
6 Neon Tetra's
12 Ghost Shrimp
1 Corydora Catfish
along with my 1 male Betta.
Is this too many fish?
AbbieZapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #2 
aemaki09

Don't get neon tetras, but you can get other types.
And cories are a schooling species so you would have to get 3+ for them to live happily.

And honestly, you could only pull off one species of 6 and a few shrimp in a tank that small.
I'd go with 6 danios or You could get 8 dwarf cories or 4-5 regular sized cories like peppered or albino. I'm partial to pandas!

Cories would probably be the best choice. But if you are getting shrimp too you'll probably want to add some mid-level swimmers so danios or tetras (not neon) would be better
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #3 
AbbieZapp

Thank you for the help!! I appreciate it a lot!
AbbieZapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #4 
aemaki09

No problem!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

First you need to establish the pH and hardness of your water. For instance, if you have hard water, tetras are out, and if you have really soft water, livebearers aren't a good idea. Until you know that, any list of stocking is purely theoretical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieZapp View Post
6 Zebra Danio's
These are not a good idea. They are really active fish and will be much happier in 20 gallons at least.

6 Neon Tetra's
Fine if you have soft water, though I'd suggest Ember tetras instead as being smaller and less active.

12 Ghost Shrimp
These are fine.

1 Corydora Catfish
Again, if you have water on the softer side. However, one is not enough, as cories need schools of at least 4. Look at smaller species such as corydoras panda, pygmaues, hastatus or habrosus.

along with my 1 male Betta.
Is this too many fish?
Added together, yes, it is. A ten gallon, especially one that isn't planted, can support a betta + one school + shrimp, not three schools. So you'd have to choose either:
1) betta + 4-6 cories + shrimp
2) betta + 6-8 tetras + shrimp
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

Danios are way too active for a 10 gallon tank. They generally require a 3ft tank to be content as they are very energetic swimmers. They will also probably harass your male betta as they can be quite boisterous.

Your quoting confused me for a minute there Bom as I hadn't seen you'd mentioned about the danios.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

Sorry! :p

I had a friend who kept his danios in a 5 gal with a betta and it didn't work out well (not that he'd admit it). The danios had nowhere to zoom and the betta hid all the time.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #8 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
Way overstocked. Get rid of zebra danios and neon tetras, more PYGMY corydoras catfish (3-4 total)
fishy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #9 
broncosfan84

http://aquadesigninnovations.com/shop/shop/pygmy-cory/ Crowntails just posted this place to get pygmy cories.
broncosfan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #10 
sarahspins

It's worth noting that those are corydoras pygmaeus, there are also some corydoras habrosus listed on ebay :)

I am expecting some rummynose tetras today from ADI.. they were very nice to work with and the price couldn't be beat.. so I'm anxiously waiting on UPS to come today :)
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote