Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #11 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
You can't keep a mystery snail in a 2.5 gallon tank with a betta. Mystery snails need 2.5 gallons on their own as they create a LOT of waste. You can't keep anything else with your betta in a 2.5 gallon tank, you need at least 5 gallons for that.
I realised this when I had my second snail in my 2.5 gal for a while. That tank was SO slimy. I had to do a 100% clean from him. Was thinking it might be okay if they kept up on frequent cleanings, though.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #12 
LadyVictorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
I realised this when I had my second snail in my 2.5 gal for a while. That tank was SO slimy. I had to do a 100% clean from him. Was thinking it might be okay if they kept up on frequent cleanings, though.
Not with a mystery snail, with how large they can get 2.5 for a full grown snail is too small. These snails are not small snails, they create three times the bioload of any fish I have ever owned and honestly without cleaning the tank three times a day I can't see it working out too well aside from massive ammonia spikes. As said my golden boy Tesla alone is larger than a golfball and still growing.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #13 
Hadoken Kitty

Naturally I threw the second one in my 20g with the other, but still. Should I be expecting to sell snails any time soon...? >.>;

Anyways, I think the point is that 2.5G is too small for anything other than your betta. Your betta will appreciate the attention you give him above anything else, anyways.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #14 
Noobalva

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageMyster View Post
I was thinking of adding one guppy to my 2.5gal (University tank size restrictions) with my incoming AB betta purchase. What are your opinions? I haven't liked any of the other suggestions I've read in other threads... they all seem kind of... ugly to me. xD;; I love male guppies, especially. Any way this could work out?

Thanks in advance!
If you were to get Shrimp you would need lots of hiding places for them and you'd have to get ones that are at least 1 inch so the betta is less likely to bother them; so if you can't do that don't go for shrimp. Shrimp are hit and miss too, depends on your betta...some will be fine with them and others won't.

Mystery Snails have too much of a bio-load, even young ones. I have mine in a 2.5 tank and to make it work i had to get a Bamboo, Marimo Moss Ball, and Hornwort live plants(all of which absorb MASSIVE amounts of ammonia, nitrate and nitrite -- especially the Bamboo and hornwort); plus i got two other plants(java fern and small swords) to be safe; my levels are always at 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, 0-10ish ppm nitrate (i check about 2-4 times a week).

IMO the best thing to get is you really want a mate, would be a Zebra Nerite(Snail). Their bio-load is considerably less than that of a Mystery and they stay a lot smaller. I would still suggest getting at least a Moss Ball, Hornwort (let it float or it's bristles will tend to fall off and make a mess - and keep an eye on it's size, you'll likely have to trim it) and maybe one other plant to help keep your water toxin levels safe and where they need to be.
Noobalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:24 AM   #15 
SageMyster

I've given up on the tank-mate idea. Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it. :)
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:34 AM   #16 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Aw, SageMyster . . it's probably best. I got in over my head wanting tank mates when I had smaller tanks. I got platys but I didn't realize how easily they could breed and it was a MESS.

I now look forward to having just one pretty betta in a 6.6 gallon bookshelf tank and planning out the plantscape and decor.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:38 AM   #17 
SageMyster

Definitely don't want a breeding frenzy, especially if I had gotten a female guppy! Oh, well. Maybe when I have a larger tank. :)
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #18 
Crowntails

It's definitly hard not to want more fish!

But its for the best your little guy and I bet he's happy that he can be the king of the castle!
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote