Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM   #1 
BettaTalk

Mini Bow 2.5?

Hello,
I have heard mixed things about the Mini Bow 2.5 and I was wondering if anyone has had personal experience with this tank. I plan on getting two for male Bettas and one for a male Guppy depending on the reviews that it gets on here. Thanks and I hope that I posted this in the right place!
-BettaTalk
BettaTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
TFK Moderator

Hello there, yes, you've posted in the right sub! Thanks for paying attention to that ^_^

Unfortunately, 2.5 gallons is only big enough for one fish and maybe some shrimp if your Betta allows it but most just because expensive snacks for Betta's. Guppies are shoaling fish; they need company of their own to feel safe so just having one is going to cause problems. There is a myth about Betta's attacking guppies due to their bright colors and flashy tails but it is just that, a myth. Betta's by nature are aggressive so it's not the flashy colors or tail, it's the fact that it is another fish that resides on the top with the Betta, that makes them attack other fish. In that small of a tank, it simply won't work. If you want tankmates with your fish then start with a 10 gallon and/or go up from there depending on the other fish you want.

Aside from that, I do love the 2.5 Minibow Aqueon but I hate the filter. I usually replace it with a sponge filter if I use that tank and then I replace the Incandescent bulb with a CFL (compact fluorescent light) which has less wattage (I get a 13 watt one) so it's cheaper to run. You of course need a heater too for tropical fish, which is Betta fish. I prefer this heater! Hydor Theo, 25 watt one is perfect for 2.5 gallons and it's adjustable where most of the heaters in the pet stores are not, or they're very expensive! Just make sure you have a glass thermometer as well (a dollar and a half at wal-mart!) to keep track of the temperature since often heaters aren't calibrated just right so it might be set at 78 but it heats up at 84, so always start at the bottom first and work your way up to the perfect 78-80 for your little guys ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM   #3 
BettaTalk

Hello,
I don't plan on housing them all together. I was going to get three seperate tanks but I think that I will only get two now that I know Guppies prefer to be together rather than alone. Would a 3 gallon with two male Guppies suit them or would it need more? Thank you for your help!
-BettaTalk
Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM   #4 
Schmoo

Hello!

In my experience guppies do best in groups of 3 or more. Ideally you'd want 2 females and 1 male as a ratio; however I have 3 males in a 5 gallon tank, and they do just fine. :) With just 2 guppies you run a higher risk of aggression -- not that guppies are super aggressive by nature, but a larger number disperses any issues instead of essentially pitting one against another.

If you do decide to mix male and female guppies keep in mind that, at some point, you will have babies. It's inevitable lol.
Schmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM   #5 
giogiog

I've got a mini bow, and feel like i'm torturing Jukes

I'm still very new to fish keeping, and just went out and bought a cheap plastic mini bow aquarium, along with rocks, a ornament, and of course, Jukes. Its been about three weeks now, on keeping him and he seems alright with the tank (with out a heater or filter modification.) Maybe a week ago I noticed his color fading and his back fin ripped up so I went out and got the following items to maybe help Jukes out. A day ago I bought a Marina 10W heater (just in case my room ever drops below 72-ish) and a Fluval edge sponge. ( to slow current) I now feel like hes cramped in there. I'm currently working on getting Jukes a Fluval Spec 2.6 gallon tank.
Attached Images

giogiog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM   #6 
BettaTalk

Yes that does look a tad crowded but he doesn't seem stressed out too much wich is good. Thanks for the pictures! I am more thinking of borrowing my friends male when I want to breed. That way I can keep 3-5 females in my tank.
-BettaTalk
Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM   #7 
Witchipoo

I have 3 2.5 gallon aqueons, the filters are trash, make a ton of noise inside the tank and the intake catches and holds their fins if they get anywhere near it. Plus it takes up almost half of the surface space! I took the filters out, put in mini sponge filters and have one female Betta in each because they don't need as much room to maneuver. My adult males wouldn't be able to turn around in the things. Plus, they don't come with heaters, bettas NEED heaters. For the same price you can get a 5 gallon glass kit at Wal-Mart with a small adjustable whisper filter. Much better tank, much better deal.
Witchipoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM   #8 
ytpconquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaTalk View Post
Yes that does look a tad crowded but he doesn't seem stressed out too much wich is good. Thanks for the pictures! I am more thinking of borrowing my friends male when I want to breed. That way I can keep 3-5 females in my tank.
-BettaTalk
FYI that is a 1gallon minibow he posted. The 2.5 has quite a bit more room. I had the LED 2.5 minibow and it was great except for the filter which I replaced with a sponge filter. The stock filter current was too strong and it also blocked light to half of the tank. Replaced it with a aqueon glass 5.5 since all the parts ended up being the same price as the minibow and I wasn't using the filter in it anyway.
ytpconquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:20 PM   #9 
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

Depending on your budget and space you can set up your own. If you have a PetCo they have a 5.5 gallon empty tank (16 x 8 x 10) for $15.00 to which you can add your own filter, light and heater (which the Mini Bow doesn't provide, anyhow). I can make a list if you'd like but www.fostersmith.com has the 25 watt adjustable Hydor heater on sale for $16.00. Through tomorrow they have 15% off everying including sale items.

Or PetSmart has a 2.5 with lid for $14.00. I have both and prefer the 5.5.

If you have the room and budget, a five gallon Mini Bow would be, IMO, a better buy and the filter might not be as intrusive as in the 2.5. I had the 2.5 and hated it. Needed to replace the filter as it was awful and took up too much room. If I filled it to the rim it leaked around the black support.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM   #10 
giogiog

Thanks for the comments, I am really worried about his fins right now :/ they are fading and looking a bit shredded. Idk why
giogiog is offline   Reply With Quote