Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2014, 01:36 AM   #1 
beautiful Betta

Question Biorb, for Betta.

One tank I am considering for a Betta is a bowl Biorb, now there is the 15 litre which I feel is a tad on the small side, and what I would probably go for would be the 30 litre.

Because the Biorb's filter system is basically a under gravel system that goes through the substrate and back out through the centre tube, I understand this is quite a gentle flow filter system? If anyone has any experience with the bio orb your thought would be appreciated.

Also the substrate that comes with it, looks to be quite sharp if you were to replace that with pebbles would that work or do they have to have that rock that comes with it in the bottom? Again if anyone knows?

And generally if anyone has used a biorb for a betta and any pro's and cons to it?

Last edited by beautiful Betta; 04-15-2014 at 01:41 AM.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:02 AM   #2 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I don't mean any disrespect, nor am I questioning your taste, but why do you want a Biorb? Besides the distorted view, I can think of many other disadvanytages of a spherical tank, and no advantages other than esthetic.

As for the UGF, they do require a certain size gravel to avoid settling into the grid and slowing the flow or clogging.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:25 AM   #3 
beautiful Betta

I have always thought they looked good and the reviews are that they have really good filtration systems for there size. I actually didn't think the shape mattered too much. And where I am planning to have a tank there isn't a lot of space, so the round stands that the biorb sits on wouldn't take up much room in the space I am thinking of. But if they are not a good tank and will cause issues for the fish, then I will look at other options, hence trying to get some feedback on them at the moment.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:22 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Well a sphere has the most surface area for the volume, so it actually takes up more space per gallon than standard rectangular tank. Betta prefer longer shallower tanks. I would use a smaller tank if footprint size is an issue. But that's just me.

Undergravel filters are obsolete technology. They really are more trouble to maintain than anything else. A good sponge filter does a better job and is easier to maintain.

And Biorbs are harder to install a heater in discretely.

For the same money, you can outfit a standard tank with heater, filter, substrate, plants (and the correct lighting for the plants). And you'll have a clearer, undistorted view of your fish.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:42 AM   #5 
beautiful Betta

Thanks, I will give it a miss then just a tank I remembered from my youth and I liked them then, and they are still about. I know the rule about betta's preferring longer shallow tanks, yet the trend at the moment seems to be tanks that are taller and more square. I was just thinking of different options but yea maintenance was a concern also and something I intended to ask about.

I have got space for a more conventional stand, just that some can be really pricy, and the biorb stand was stylish and affordable when I was browsing tank stands.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:11 AM   #6 
givemethatfish

If you want something other than just your traditional tank, I have a 4 gallon Fluval View which is definitely different-looking and maybe a little easier than the Biorb. I was also considering the Biorb when I was choosing a tank. This is on my work desk, so I kind of wanted something a little "chic" so I'm not just the weird fish lady . . . I've gotten a lot of comments on how nice it looks. My betta is happy in it. It's easy to maintain, you can fit a small heater in the filter compartment, and the filter is absolutely silent.
givemethatfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

+1^

Thanks gmtf, I couldn't remember the name of that tank. Lots of members like them. There's even a dedicated thread about Fluval.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #8 
beautiful Betta

Thanks givemethatfish & Hallyx

I am not sure what the view is but I will look into it. Thanks.

Another tank I was also considering was the fluval spec 5 but I know with that one I will need to baffle the filter, after reading many threads that they are too strong a flow, other that that the size depth of the tank is great. The only thing I have against that is that there isn't a actual gap in the lid for heater cable so I have read. And know you can fit the heater in the filter compartment but just concerns me a little to have the heater not actually in the main tank area.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #9 
Andre Decasa

I dont wanna question your style but biorb is not what you want for your betta as Hallyx said betta's prefer longer shallow tanks same as the rice fields they live in Thailand.
Andre Decasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #10 
givemethatfish

beautiful Betta - I have another betta in the Fluval Spec V. It's a nice little tank. The only baffling I had to do was to put a prefilter sponge on the filter outflow. There isn't a gap in the lid for a heater cable if you put the heater in the main tank, but I have two of these tanks (one betta, one dwarf puffer) and I have a heater in both filter compartments - I also have the heater in the filter compartment on my Fluval view. It keeps the water temperature steady just fine in there. The only heater I have tried that will fit in the Fluval View compartment is the Hydor Theo 25W adjustable heater. For the Spec V, I have just a Petco brand 25W in one and the Top Fin 25W in the other - both are adjustable heaters. It's a tight squeeze with the filter pump and tube in there, but they fit without affecting the lid, and the heater cord runs out of the same gap as the filter cord.
givemethatfish is online now   Reply With Quote