Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2015, 02:38 AM   #1 
cujiine

Give me some suggestions for new tanks please.

I could very possibly be in the market for a new desk top tank. I have this tank and aside from the bad quality of the light strip, and the curved corners that I've decided I don't care for, the only issue I've had is that the bottom of the tank is just smaller than the top, so the front is slanted ever so slightly.

This made dividing the tank a pain, and I realize that dividing this tank gives me just around 2.5 for each fish, but with space constraints and my parents breathing down my neck about so many tanks, it had to work.

I've had two crowntails, a male and a female split apart in this tank for two months with no issues as far as the divider goes. The male's rays sometimes would drift between the divider and the front of the tank, but there was never a big enough gap for either fish to fit through.

Tonight, three separate times, my female Dasher, made her way over into Balthazar's side of the tank. Luckily they sit on my desk and I've been here the whole time so I was able to catch them with the only damage being a slightly nipped anal fin on Balthazar's side.

I checked the divider and there wasn't enough room for her to swim past, so I'm thinking she may have jumped the divider. She's currenltly in a medium kritter keeper from Petco with a heater and a small sponge filter will be picked up tomorrow, while he gets to explore the side of the tank he's only seen in rough shadows through the divider.

I know that longer is better than taller, and I'd love to have something with fairly straight sides, and I'm more than willing to move from a split 5 upwards, but I'm not sure how big I would be able to go (as far as desk strength) though I know my desk is more than capable of holding my weight ~140lbs along with the current 5 gallon, and my previous CRT computer monitor.

TL;DR My fish need a better tank to divide and I want a long one. Suggestions?

Included is a picture of the two bettas in question.
Attached Images

cujiine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:11 AM   #2 
Kithy

Petco is having a $ a gallon sale, I believe. A glass 5g would be nice with straight sides and even top/bottom widths.

It might be a good idea to silicone the divider in any tank you get that you divide. I had two boys in a 10g with no way I could see for one to get to the other side and one still managed to basically teleport to the other.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:19 AM   #3 
cujiine

Working at Petco ads the benefit of employee discount on top of the cheaper tanks, but the 5.5 gallon tanks aren't included in the sale, and I'm not sure I want to keep the same size. I've heard of 12 gallon long tanks but I don't know where I'd go to find one, or if they're worth it in having to find appropriate lights and hoods for.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:30 AM   #4 
Kithy

Ebay may have custom made tanks, but that could be hit or miss on that.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Mr._Aqua_...FIAQNC-vi.html this is spendy but if you can do it, might be nice.

There are some reviews that say there's sloppy silicone work on the seams but that could be easily remedied if you wanted to do that yourself.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:37 AM   #5 
VivianKJean

I recommend getting a 10 gallon. You can divide it into 3 sections with the middle section only being big enough to fit the filter and heater. it also gives you a "safe zone" in case one of your bettas makes it through the divider.

as for dividers - I like the DIY ones made from craft mesh and report binders. There are a million tutorials online.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #6 
kjg1029

+1^ I have two of theese setups

I would consider siliconing the divider in place, before you fill the tank or anything
kjg1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:27 PM   #7 
ellekay

I agree that a 10g would be a better (and cheaper) solution right now. Petco's sale starts at 10g and goes to 55g. They also have their Aqueon adjustable heaters on sale (for petco members) for like $5 off I believe. I think they have the tetra filters on sale now as well, but could be wrong.

I would do that as it is easier to divide, each fish would have roughly 4.5-5g (depending on your decor and how you divide) and it's cheaper than any 'kit' during this sale.

Just remember that any tank is going to weigh up to 10 lbs per gallon. If your desk can hold ~140lbs, a 10g should be fine.

:)
ellekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:29 PM   #8 
VivianKJean

the Aqueon heaters are not that great so I don't recommend getting one.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:17 PM   #9 
cujiine

Thanks everyone. I've got two boys in a split 10 near my bed, and I'm going to take a look at the tanks at work today. I'm either going to get another 10 and split it, or get one of the 5.5s and have them in two separate tanks. Probably the 10 since I'm running low on plug outlets near my desk.

I guess I've been lucky with my Aqueon heater. I bought one of the mini 10w ones for the QT tank and it's been mostly successful. Every so often it's kicked up to 83 degrees but usually does good at keeping it to about 80.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:00 PM   #10 
katydidmischief

If you end up replacing the Aqueon heater, I recommend hitting Amazon and getting an Aquatop. I've had a 50w, 100w, and a 150w of them and each as worked perfectly.
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crowntails, divider, new tank