Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #1 
VivianKJean

Question Question about Azoo Palm Filter

I currently have the Aqueon Mini Bow 2.5 model (3 of them actually) and I really hate the filter. Many people on here have recommended the Azoo Palm and i have looked into it and really like it. I also like the price. I'm in college with a parttime job so don't have a lot of excess money to spend and since I need/want to replace all 3 filters from my 2.5 tanks I need a filter that is reliable but also inexpensive.

I just have a few questions about it. I know that it will be fine for the 2.5 gallon tanks I already have but I am looking to upgrade all of my tanks to at 5 or 5.5 gallon tanks. I live in a very small 1 room apartment so the only spaces I have to fit tanks are small tables scattered around my apartment so buying a larger tank and dividing it doesn't exactly work for me (if you live in nyc you know exactly what I mean). Would the Azoo Palm filter work in a 5 gallon tank as well as the 2.5 gallon? Online it says it will work on any tank up to 5 gallons but we all know that sometimes those facts aren't true.

If you Azoo Palm won't work in the 5 gallon tank, then does anyone have any other recommendations for me? Again I really don't have a lot of my money right now so i can't really afford to spend more than $10 on each filter. I also don't want to have to replace the filters again after I upgrade to the 5 gallon tanks.

VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #2 
mpooyan83

the azoo palm only filters 16 Gallons per hour.... which is pretty low. I've only used it on a 3.4 gallon. typical rule of thumb is 10 times the tank size, so a 5 gallon would need 50 GPH. the Azoo palm is rated for 3.5 gallons by the manufacturer. However if you only have 1 Betta in there, I think you'd be ok. I know there are people on here using an Azoo Palm on 5+ tanks, and on Amazon Reviews there are people using it on a 10 gallon tank and are happy with it.
Now as far as other suggestions, the ones that come to mind are over 10$.
This one has a 45 GPH filtering capacity and has great reviews, havnt used it myself tho. its 12$ or so. I've always had a good experience with Truaqua products.
http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-hang...lter-pfe1.html

Last edited by mpooyan83; 07-28-2014 at 11:10 AM.
mpooyan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:38 AM   #3 
VivianKJean

Thanks for the reply.

That was what I thought about the Azoo palm but want to check to see if anyone else had luck with it on 5 gallon tanks.

I'll look into the filter you recommended. I might be able to do $12 per filter, it'll just take me a bit more time to save the money.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:56 AM   #4 
givemethatfish

I had the Azoo Mignon on a 10g tank with just one betta until recently. I divided the tank and upgraded the filter, but while there was just one fish it was good. I always do weekly tests, and it kept the water parameters in check just fine. I'm fairly sure the Mignon is the same as the Palm.
givemethatfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #5 
VivianKJean

Yes, I think the palm and the minion are the same as well. I only have 1 fish in each tank and I might possibly get a snail if i upgrade to the 5 gallons but I'm not sure yet. I also check the water weekly as well.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:19 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yep, I had the Palms on my 5.5's with just one fish and they did a fantastic job. Now I have one on my 3 gallon at the moment also doing very well ^_^ the filter will certainly be able to handle the job without question, 5.5 is where I'd stop though unless it's still one fish like givemethatfish had in the 10, that's fine.

Though if you try it on the 2.5, you'll have to modify the tank so it can fit properly.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:30 PM   #7 
VivianKJean

Thanks Iilnaugrim.

Yeah, I figured I'd have to modify my 2.5 gallons which I don't mind doing since the filter that comes with the Mini Bows is so terrible. It holds a cycle but I can tell that it just isn't doing its job.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:31 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah I hear you, I once upon a time had the Tetra Whisper 3i's too haha.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #9 
VivianKJean

I'm already modifying the hoods on my 2.5's anyway. I had the lights break in all with hoods which isn't exactly a good thing when I'm planing to make them planted tanks. So doing a little extra work to make the filters fit isn't that big of a deal.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:50 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh cool! Well not cool that they broke, but cool you can make the mods just fine ^_^