Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2014, 04:16 AM   #1 
BettaVal

Is my tank safe?

A month ago, I mistakenly mixed a small amount of vinegar with diluted bleach in my empty 10G. No one was hurt thankfully, and the tank has been left in the sun and cleaned everyday since. After a week it no longer smelt of chemicals and the extra three weeks have just been precaution. Would anyone here consider it safe to restock? And if so, any recommendations for what to keep in it?
BettaVal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:51 AM   #2 
BettaMummy87

Not sure about bleach but I use vinegar (white distilled malt) to clean all my secondhand aquisitions. So long as it is well rinsed that alone wouldn't concern me. What sort of bleach was it? Was it like, baby bottle bleach or household bleach?
BettaMummy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:33 AM   #3 
Kim

I use bleach to sanitize my QT tanks...and it's a quite strong solution too. I just rinse, rinse, and rinse some more and then dry well before reusing. A glass tank won't absorb bleach (or vinegar), so you could have easily just rinsed very well and filled it back up 3 weeks ago ;)

As for stocking, I'd probably get another betta if it were my tank, but I might instead consider a few dwarf puffers OR some sort of small gourami.
Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #4 
BettaMummy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
I use bleach to sanitize my QT tanks...and it's a quite strong solution too. I just rinse, rinse, and rinse some more and then dry well before reusing. A glass tank won't absorb bleach (or vinegar), so you could have easily just rinsed very well and filled it back up 3 weeks ago ;)

As for stocking, I'd probably get another betta if it were my tank, but I might instead consider a few dwarf puffers OR some sort of small gourami.

Thats interesting to know, as the tank I have aquired for breeding is a little gross, so I wanted to use some mild bleach on it. Hadn't gotten around to checking it out XD yay! Makes my life *so* much easier too. Good news OP, more fishies! ^-^
BettaMummy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #5 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMummy87 View Post
Thats interesting to know, as the tank I have aquired for breeding is a little gross, so I wanted to use some mild bleach on it. Hadn't gotten around to checking it out XD yay! Makes my life *so* much easier too. Good news OP, more fishies! ^-^
Yup, bleach can be very helpful, and I in my opinion, its bad reputation is unwarranted. In my case, I'm always taking in rescues and need to know that everything is as close to sterile as possible before using it again. I use bleach, and in some cases I'll do a final rinse with alcohol. The key with bleach is to rinse, rinse, rinse, and just when you think everything is perfectly clean, rinse some more! Then dry with some paper towels or whatnot and let any water residue evaporate. I've never had an issue doing it this way, and I've also never had disease spread between tanks ;)
Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:54 PM   #6 
aselvarial

bleach rapidly breaks down in heat or sunlight. If you have both for several days, there is likely little to no harmful bleach residue. (my husband works at a lab for testing cleaners and bleach is one of them. It has an exceptionally short shelf life in heated conditions or under sunlight)
aselvarial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:09 PM   #7 
Tolak

I bleach 5's for hatching angels on a regular basis. Inch of water, shot of bleach, trying for a 1:20 mix but I'm sure it's usually more like 1:10. Good rinse, double up on dechlor, good to go.
Tolak is online now   Reply With Quote