Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM   #1 
Innerbeauty

film at top of water from filter?

I just purchased a new tank and it came with the tetra whisper medium filter system. I've never had a cartridge filter system before. I've had it almost two weeks and yesterday I noticed a weird film on top of the water. (sort of like oil looks, but its not) I skimmed it all off and concluded it was definitely coming from the filter as it came pouring out. What is it? Is it okay for the fish?
Innerbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM   #2 
obiordi

Hello! Yes, it is an oil substance and it is not harmful to fish, it just looks a bit - well gross. It can be caused by high protein food if it was left in the tank, or if there isn't a lot of water movement towards the top. I wouldn't bother trying to clean it. My tank has this too, but it's safe and isn't harmful in any way. Just a bit painful to look at because it's kind of icky looking at. Nothing to worry about! :)
obiordi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM   #3 
obiordi

My tank has a filter and it doesn't seem to be coming from the filter. Just give the filter and the media a good rinse (with conditioned water not tap), and if it comes back from the filter then that could be bad, but if it's just on the top of the tank then it's safe.
obiordi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM   #4 
tankman12

If you have a air pump and air stone, throw that in. It should clear it up.
Posted via Mobile Device
tankman12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:45 AM   #5 
Aeon

my roomate called it and oil spill and sent the boat out -- i came home one day with a toy boat floating in the tank and army me hooked on the sides waiting to shoot the note said BP spill trying to clean up get the dawn -- i almost died
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote