Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2015, 10:24 PM   #1 
pixiemods

Thoughts on Rimless Tanks?

Right now I have a 3 gallon Tetra Cube Aquarium.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

It's a plastic tank, ideal for a beginner, however I'm already looking to upgrade to a bigger tank. (Note: I only had this tank for a couple weeks and I already wanna go bigger! And the fact that glass just seems so much better to me.)

I was looking at the Nano Sky High Clarity Tank
http://www.truaqua.com/nano-sky-glas...ium-ns-7g.html

However, I was debating because this tank is clearly slimmer than the tank I have now. I know it is much larger in height and length, but I was debating on the sleek design of it. I think my Betta would appreciate the extra space, but do you guys think the going back and forth inability might bore him? I mean.. unless he starts swimming the other way. But I'm also concerned for some of the items I have in my tank now, may kinda look weird in a slimmer tank. Idk. I just wanna look at more tanks!

If there are other tanks you guys may know of please share! I would like to look around for others, :) (Preferably rimless, idk why I'm just into them more.)

This is my Betta now, :) You can see his tank is already scratched, I got it like that which I'm not really frustrated about, but would prefer it to be clearer.

Last edited by pixiemods; 06-24-2015 at 10:26 PM.
pixiemods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:42 PM   #2 
andakin

I'm a big fan of rimless. It's a much cleaner look.

If you're going open-top, be prepared to lose some fish jumping out. I've lost more fish than I like to admit.

I've also seen people take a regular tank and remove the black trims to make it rimless. It's worth looking into.
andakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:19 PM   #3 
pixiemods

Quote:
Originally Posted by andakin View Post
I'm a big fan of rimless. It's a much cleaner look.

If you're going open-top, be prepared to lose some fish jumping out. I've lost more fish than I like to admit.

I've also seen people take a regular tank and remove the black trims to make it rimless. It's worth looking into.
Yeah, the tank I have now is open top, but I didn't fill it necessarily to the top to try and avoid the jumping fish. Not sure if it will do anything in the future but as of right now it seems to be working! Hopefully that doesn't happen!

I've thought about de-rimming, but I'm not sure about it entirely.. I heard the purpose of rimming was to strengthen the tank so it wouldn't break when water was put in it?

I think in all honestly I would just buy a rimless tank to be on the safer side. c: But thanks for the input!
Old 06-24-2015, 11:51 PM   #4 
ao

I love rimless tanks. I got this 10in cube tank for $50 shipped, which to me was a great deal at the time for a high clarity rimless tank!

The only problem I see with a rimless is trying to find a good light that isn't too expensive. I ended up making my own little glass enclosure :)

Name:  ImageUploadedByPetGuide1435207833.652298.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  55.8 KB
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:49 AM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

The AquaTop has a lid; you can see it in the owner's manual. If you go that route send a PM as BF members receive 20% off site-wide.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:47 AM   #6 
pixiemods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao View Post
I love rimless tanks. I got this 10in cube tank for $50 shipped, which to me was a great deal at the time for a high clarity rimless tank!

The only problem I see with a rimless is trying to find a good light that isn't too expensive. I ended up making my own little glass enclosure :)

Attachment 578738
Ooh! That looks pretty neat and its so clear @_@, it turned out great anyways :3
Old 06-25-2015, 11:48 AM   #7 
pixiemods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
The AquaTop has a lid; you can see it in the owner's manual. If you go that route send a PM as BF members receive 20% off site-wide.
Oh thanks for the note! I actually didn't notice that!
Old 06-25-2015, 11:59 AM   #8 
Aqua Aurora

If you live in the US you can get polycarbonate easily at Homedepot and make a DIY lid (have them on all my tanks including ones from truaqua):
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....27#post5347082
Aqua Aurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:22 PM   #9 
pixiemods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Aurora View Post
If you live in the US you can get polycarbonate easily at Homedepot and make a DIY lid (have them on all my tanks including ones from truaqua):
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....27#post5347082
Nice! Great thread you got there, will deff. look into that, Thanks :)
Old 06-28-2015, 08:01 PM   #10 
pixiemods

To update, I ended up going to Petco and bought a 10 gallon tank for 10. I wanted to do rimless, and possibly derim it. But after debating on the risks it may have throughout time, I thought who knows what if I turn out not so lucky? After all.. it is on my desk with all my tech savy goods, and work.

So i ended up keeping it as is. This is his tank now!

I now have to upgrade his filter since it's not purposed for a 10 gallon, along with buying a new light since I attached it to some foam core because of the clamp width not being able to attach to the rim. :) Will surely look into it tomorrow!