Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2015, 06:25 PM   #1 
Emma77

New 5 gallon Spec for Betta : Learning every day

I am a relative newbie to this and got my betta as a feature fish with a small community group.

Checking around the web it was pretty clear that this was overstocking of my Edge tank and so Jeffrey had to get his own.

I got a 2.6 gallon Spec. It was interesting to see how his behavior changed. More aggressive and he seemed stressed (water parameters great, I also added Purigen to avoid any ammonia spikes).

I've set up a 5 gallon Spec for him. No sharp edges anywhere and a soft substrate. He is SO much happier.

In this pic the tank is still coming up to temp so I have two heaters in there. I used the media from the smaller Spec and added SafeStart for cycling purposes.
Attached Images

Emma77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:36 PM   #2 
Kim

Thanks for sharing your interesting observations :)

I really like your tank! The white sand and the black rocks really make a nice contrast. Just make sure to keep that deep sand stirred in order to avoid developing anaerobic pockets. Also, I think some floating plants would really add a nice finishing touch and the bettas usually love them :) What are those low-lying plants that you have around the rocks? They are very nice.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:52 PM   #3 
Emma77

Great tips, thanks! I used a chopstick to break the air pockets - worked well! The small plants are Hermianthus. What floating plants would you recommend?
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2015, 08:12 PM   #4 
Tealight03

Beautiful tank!
Tealight03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:59 PM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

Anubias, Narrow Leaf Anacharis, Cabomba, Hornwort, Water Sprite are good floating plants. Also Dwarf Water Lettuce, Red Root Floaters, Frog Bit (or Frogbit?).

Betta like a lot of plants and it keeps them entertained as well.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:57 AM   #6 
Emma77

Would it work if I cluster a floating canopy to the right of the tank (i.e. the bottom of the slope)? I'm using CO2 injection to grow the first plants quickly. The large ones are about 6 inches high now.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:17 AM   #7 
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

That would look really nice. Just don't get Duckweed. It can get out of control really fast. I like Dwarf Water Lettuce (Lilnaugrim has some great DWL) and Frogbit. I forgot about Myrio; it is another great floating plant and Lil has that, too. You can actually corral DWL or FB using a piece of airline tubing shaped in a circle.

Tank is beautiful, BTW.

Oh, and I completely forgot....Welcome to the Forum!
Old 04-19-2015, 05:38 AM   #8 
Emma77

Off to the LFS I go! Thanks to you all! This site has been a wonderful resource to me as I have got to know how to properly care for a Betta.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:21 AM   #9 
Emma77

More plants...

I added more plant cover and the horrific-looking betta log. DWL on order.

Does anyone know of a more aesthetic surface cave than the log? This is a bit out of sync with the tank style?
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2015, 07:41 AM   #10 
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

My plants seem to serve as "caves." Right now I can see Dexter reclining in a clump of Ceratophyllum submersum or Soft Hornwort. He also uses the Narrow Leaf Anacharis.