Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2015, 06:33 AM   #1 
bettaposeidon

Exclamation Cloudy Tank

So I added a Nerite to my tank yesterday and gave him a blanched cucumber slice to munch on. When I woke up this morning the tank was cloudy and my fish was acting weird. He was only staying on the side away from the snail.
A) Could the cloudiness be related to the cucumber/snail or could it just be I disturbed the bacteria in the substrate
B) Could my betta be afraid of the snail by staying away and not swimming too much?
bettaposeidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:43 AM   #2 
superswimmer

Can you post your water parameters please and tell us if the tank is cycle? Also, when/did you remove the cucumber? Fresh veggies are great treats, but if they start to rot in your tank if you don't remove them they can pollute your water.
superswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:40 PM   #3 
bettaposeidon

Parameters were 0/0/0, the tank isn't cycled. I removed the cucumber after 10 hours, the snail, and did a water change and that helped. I had tried to cycle it with Tetra SafeStart and I think I stirred up all of the bacteria that settled in the substrate.
bettaposeidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:43 PM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The cloudiness may not be directly related to the cucumber. It may be a bacteria bloom -- quite common in a tank that's starting to cycle. Usually it goes away in a few days.

Tetra Safestart is a great way to speed up the nitrogen cycle. You still want to keep an eye on ammonia and nitrite readings, and change water accordingly.

If you haven't seen this yet: CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial
Let me know how the cycle goes for you. I'm interested.

Your Betta might be avoiding the snail because it's a new thing in the tank. He'll get used to it. By the way, my Nerite as been living in a 5g with a Betta for years now. I've never fed it anything. It lives fine on what little algae it can glean from the plant and tank surfaces.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, cloudy tank, cucumber, nerite snail, tank