Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM   #1 
Kisiel

Crushed coral / aragonite sand.

So I'm looking to increase the pH of all my tanks, and someone here suggested crushed coral aragonite sand (same thing, right?). I'm looking on ebay right now and there's quite a few options, however, before I buy anything, I have a few questions.

How much of it do I need to add? The tanks are 3 gal, 6 gal and 15 gal. All are sitting at around 6 pH, I want to increase the first two to about 6.7 and the last to about 7.5.

Is it safe? All the listings say it's "marine"; nothing about fresh water :/ I'm worried about it altering my water too much.

Edit: what size would be best? I can get anything between 1 and 5 mm. Smaller tanks are in the process of getting switched from gravel to soil, so I'm not sure if I could just use the sand as a cap or not. 15 gal is bare bottom, so I'll just put it in a container and keep that in the tank so it doesn't go everywhere.

Should I just take all my fish out, add the sand and acclimate everyone? Or should I add the sand gradually instead? I think it's worth noting that all fish but one are fine with getting cupped.

I'd really appreciate some help and advice on this. Thanks to everyone in advance.

Last edited by Kisiel; Yesterday at 12:30 PM.
Kisiel is offline   Reply With Quote