Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old Today, 05:23 PM   #1 
2boys2fish

Still cycling tank. Still confused.

I have a 10 gallon tank that I set up at the beginning of July. It has one betta fish in it.

I was not clear on how high the ammonia was suppose to get, and at one point, it got to about 2.0 and my fish started acting weird. I saved the fish, did a big water change, and asked questions here and got corrected.

Now, i have started testing the water every day. I change the water when it gets to 0.25. Now I'm noticing that the ammonia is 0.25, maybe a little under, and the nitrites are 0.25. My nitrates are always 0.

Usually at this point ,I would do a water change. But when I do, it brings the ammonia and nitrite down to 0. HOw am I ever going to develope the bacteria that turns nitrites into nitrates if I always change the water when it gets 0.25?

Am I suppose to let it get a bit higher before changing it?
2boys2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:30 PM   #2 
RadiantStarr

I have a similar problem in which my tank refuses to cycle. My ammonia has never gone above 0.25 due to constant water changes. I was told to let ammonia rise to 0.5 before doing my next water change. I'm trying that out now and hopefully it'll work.
RadiantStarr is online now   Reply With Quote