Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #161 
Otterfun

Good idea, try Rhein 9g, it's fresh and saltwater tank.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:08 AM   #162 
Mr2KiEu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModFish View Post
Here's another view. Not sure why it's showing up upside down in my view.
Attachment 119113

Nice mod! how'd you get the plastic mesh to stay? Silicone or Zip ties?
Mr2KiEu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:31 AM   #163 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
Good idea, try Rhein 9g, it's fresh and saltwater tank.
Oops typo, eheim aquastyle
Old 05-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #164 
elpenajr

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylily View Post
Here is a photo of Victor in his sleeping position against the slots. He is in much better shape now - this was shortly after I got him from a pet store. Now that his fins are so much bigger, they go into the slots a little ways, as he rests against them.

If I do get another Fluval Spec V, I think I will only put Plakats, wild types, or females in there. No bettas with flowing fins, just in case they decide they want to sleep on the slots.
My Halfmoon Betta's do the exact same thing; however they have no fin damage from it.
elpenajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #165 
Quazmik

I got the fluval spec 3 recently.

I cut several small holes into the filter tube to slow the flow down on the lowest setting, aimed it toward the glass and down and put the thermometer infront to disperse it too.

but now at top it has water circulating in circles but a collection of stuff at the top.

does this mean my filter isn't working properly? should i turn up the flow?

i changed the water 100% yesterday as well.

another thing is since this is his new tank and with a filter, he's fascinated with the out flow. he keeps going towards it and trying to sit on it or under it. is this normal? i don't want him to just keep focusing with that corner as well

Last edited by Quazmik; 05-15-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Quazmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #166 
Otterfun

i think the stuff is just protein and can be skimmed.
my betta likes to "ride" the surf of the outflow, you can put a sponge on the spout and it will diffuse the force of the flow.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #167 
Quazmik

ok how do i know if my filter is working properly with the lowered flow from me cutting several holes in the tube?

and is it normal for my betta to keep trying to wedge himself between the thermometer i placed infront of the outflow? he really likes swimming up to it and either wedging himself against the glass and thermometer under the spout or swimming and lying on top of it. i have a leaf hammock from his old tank that he loved resting on, set up opposite corner. but now he's just loves trying to get close to where the flow is coming from and lying on top of the thermometer or spout.
Quazmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #168 
ModFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2KiEu View Post
Nice mod! how'd you get the plastic mesh to stay? Silicone or Zip ties?
The easiest Mod. 67 cents from Michael's Arts and Crafts. Near the needle point area there are these square black plastic screens/mesh?

Here's the maker http://www.darice.com/store/details/...anvas/33900-20

I just cut it to size, used 2 extra small black zip ties and thread it from the back through one of the holes X2. The "head" of the zip tie is housed in the filter area. Super smooth plastic, holes are large enough not to block the intake but small enough so fins don't get damaged.

I'm so stink'n proud of it. :)
ModFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:12 AM   #169 
Otterfun

ok, I have to take off for my father's funeral. So I did not have time to really decorate my SPEC III. I seeded the Biomax in the cycled SPEC V for more than 1 month, and threw in a bag of SeaChem Matrix that I seeded from the SPEC V as well (1 week).

Plants are anacharis, hornwort, marimo moss ball, some red java fern-looking plant that I put in after the pictures, and a driftwood.

2 females : Snow White (white HM) and Nemo (Royal Blue CT). Nemo was not born with ventral fins. Her owner felt bad for her when I offered her a home. So she gave Nemo a travel companion Snow White. SW seems to bond with Nemo and took on an older sister role making sure she swims with her. They are having fun with the reflection.

Oh, the outflow on SPEC III is much slower than SPEC V. I baffled it with a Fluval Edge Pre-Filter spong on the outflow spout. No currents and bettas are not pushed around at all. I did not even punch holes in the ourflow tube. I had the pump at the lowest setting.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:29 AM   #170 
VJM

I am so sorry for your loss, Otterfun.

The tank looks fantastic, and your girls are adorable.

You are in my prayers and thoughts today.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, fluval, nano, planted, spec