Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #281 
galtgirl

New Spec III

Here's my new Spec III with my Aquabid Betta, Bruce. As you can see his dorsal fin really took a beating during shipment. The dealer has offered me a replacement which is very decent of him.
Attached Images

galtgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:36 AM   #282 
eleventytwelve

Looks awesome galtgirl! Love the planting.

Here's Marlin's Spec III - what a great little tank! Small enough to fit the desk but big enough for him to swim all over the place. I just baffled the filter this past weekend because I felt a little sorry for the guy and now that I have it on, it looks like he's starting to blow a bubble nest :)

(don't mind the slightly lower water level... going to do a water change shortly)

So I haven't scrolled through all the posts, but any tips on planting for this tank? My amazon sword is starting to get a little large (will probably have to trim it soon) and that java fern on the side I just planted this past weekend. I wanted to add possibly some floating plants in there too.

Also - does anyone have any suggestions on a heater? I have one right now but it's not adjustable and since the weather's getting colder the heater doesn't seem to be working that well.

Last edited by eleventytwelve; 10-11-2013 at 12:39 AM.
eleventytwelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #283 
galtgirl

I LOVE Marlin's tank...it looks great. Right now I only have one live plant. I ordered some from Aquabid but he never sent me an invoice so I guess I'm going to have to go to my local fish store and buy some. I'd love to grow some moss on my hidey hole also.
I have a ***or 25W heater that I bought on Amazon for $16. I have one in my Spec V and they keep the water a constant 80 degrees. It has an adjustable thermostat but you have to play around with it to get it at the temp you want, but once you get it set right, it seems to keep the temp very steady.
I love this little tank....wish I had the $$$ and room for more. These Bettas are addictive. I keep seeing ones that I want!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #284 
RussellTheShihTzu

Love these tanks and hope to get a V. If any of you see another great deal like the $64 from PetCo earlier this year, please PM or post here.

Thank you so much. Now back to drooling.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:25 AM   #285 
FirstBetta

Just about any plants you put in that tank will require trimming rather frequently because they will tend to grow out the top of the tank.

I have a 29G and 5.5G tank. I have to trim the plants about every couple of weeks to give all my fish room to swim. The only possible exception are my anubias because they are so slow growing.
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #286 
galtgirl

Petco has the SPEC III on sale for $53 until midnight and free shipping. They actually have 25% off everything online so you can get a SPEC V at a discount as well.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #287 
archerthebetta

I'm a noob here (and with fish)... forgive me if these are dumb questions.

Anyone here know the dimensions/type of tubing used between the pump and the output nozzle? Can anyone point me in the right direction for this type of tubing?

I ask because I just got a spec V setup and I'm still playing around with different flow setups. I've cut two holes in the tube to decrease the flow. This seems to work well (decreasing flow), however I'm actually afraid there's two little flow. I'm not really sure the pump is working properly because most of the filtered water just seems to stay in the corner pump compartment. Is this even a rational thing to be worried about?

I'm thinking about re-doing the thing and going with elpenajr's filter mod. (see pic and see page 18 of this thread).

Has anyone else done something similar?

What diameter tubing would you guys suggest to start playing around? I supposed I could just order the zoo med parts listed on page 18 of this thread, but I thought maybe there're alternatives?
Attached Images

archerthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #288 
Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by galtgirl View Post
Petco has the SPEC III on sale for $53 until midnight and free shipping. They actually have 25% off everything online so you can get a SPEC V at a discount as well.
Wah... I wish I read this earlier, so I could've ordered a Spec III! I'm thinking about setting up an aquarium for my mother. It would've been perfect. D:
Gallifrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #289 
galtgirl

Gallifry...check Amazon. I bought mine there for less than $60 last month.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #290 
RussellTheShihTzu

For those of you in California, there's a pet store that has Fluval Spec Vs for $63.00. The only thing I remember is they don't ship and have several "ship to" locations. Maybe someone else will know and pass along the name.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, fluval, nano, planted, spec