Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2013, 02:42 AM   #291 
Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2KiEu View Post
I just recently bought one. Here's the box just in case you can't find it. You can find it at Petsmart for $2.99.
After seeing this, I immediately went to Petco to buy a pre-filter. (They were just near closing too.) Plopped the thing onto the outflow, and it works like a charm! My little Gally can swim around a lot better now. Thanks for posting this!
Gallifrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:45 AM   #292 
RussellTheShihTzu

Put in wrong section. Here's the link to $67 store pick-up (California) Spec V and PetSmart's $71.99 online price.

please Post Pics of your bettas home here! - Page 1023
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:14 AM   #293 
ChrisBarbas

I know you guys are a little biased, but what are the pros & cons between these two?

Fluval Spec III

Tetra Crescent 3 Gallon

Just going to be for 1 betta on my desk @ college dorm

Also was wondering if this decoration was too big for either tank (only decoration in tank/rest will be live plants)
ChrisBarbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:36 AM   #294 
kman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBarbas View Post
I know you guys are a little biased, but what are the pros & cons between these two?

Fluval Spec III

Tetra Crescent 3 Gallon

Just going to be for 1 betta on my desk @ college dorm

Also was wondering if this decoration was too big for either tank (only decoration in tank/rest will be live plants)
Personally, glass beats plastic every time. There's a huge point in favor of the Spec, IMO.

Secondly, the Spec's filtration is super simple. To clean, just rinse the sponge (in aquarium or treated water), and put it back. If you ever want to replace it, aquarium sponges are super cheap, just buy a big one and cut it down to size. With the Tetra, you're locked into regular filter cartridge changes that you have to buy regularly, and toss the old one. I really hate being locked into proprietary parts, but maybe that's just me... I'm sure it's convenient, if you don't mind the wastefulness and have the cash to spend.

Lastly, the Spec's stock light is basically adequate, just, for low-light plants. The Tetra's light has half the output.

Either way, I think that decoration would fit, barely, but would seriously overwhelm the tank. Why not just stick with natural rocks, plants, and drift woods?

Last edited by kman; 01-24-2014 at 01:40 AM.
kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #295 
ChrisBarbas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
Personally, glass beats plastic every time. There's a huge point in favor of the Spec, IMO.

Secondly, the Spec's filtration is super simple. To clean, just rinse the sponge (in aquarium or treated water), and put it back. If you ever want to replace it, aquarium sponges are super cheap, just buy a big one and cut it down to size. With the Tetra, you're locked into regular filter cartridge changes that you have to buy regularly, and toss the old one. I really hate being locked into proprietary parts, but maybe that's just me... I'm sure it's convenient, if you don't mind the wastefulness and have the cash to spend.

Lastly, the Spec's stock light is basically adequate, just, for low-light plants. The Tetra's light has half the output.

Either way, I think that decoration would fit, barely, but would seriously overwhelm the tank. Why not just stick with natural rocks, plants, and drift woods?
Thanks

So I ended up pulling the trigger

Wish there was an option for 2 day shipping instead of 3-6 but whatever
Old 01-24-2014, 05:35 PM   #296 
kman

^^ If you're a Prime member at Amazon, you'd have free 2-day shipping for about a buck more. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Spec-Aq...dp/B009K0ZKAQ/

Regardless, enjoy your Spec!
Old 01-24-2014, 05:54 PM   #297 
DTailskatr

I just ordered the same Fluval setup for my boy from The Fish Place. Its a great tank but the water flow is to high even on the lowest setting. I bought a Edge pre-filter sponge to put over the nozzle and it works perfectly now :)
DTailskatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #298 
ChrisBarbas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
^^ If you're a Prime member at Amazon, you'd have free 2-day shipping for about a buck more. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Spec-Aq...dp/B009K0ZKAQ/

Regardless, enjoy your Spec!
Wanted the black version, plus 20% off coupon was nice
Old 01-24-2014, 10:43 PM   #299 
kman

'Scuse the haze, I just rearranged stuff and cleaned the filter...

Old 01-24-2014, 11:21 PM   #300 
G26okie

Mine. pump is on lowest setting, and I have it aimed up and towards the glass, he has no issues with the current.

G26okie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, fluval, nano, planted, spec