Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2013, 03:06 AM   #31 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
I am agonizing again, the SPEC V is only $2 more than the SPEC III since I missed the Petco sale of $55.49.

I have room, but I was thinking a smaller 2.6g would be nice but then should I use the existing SPEC V as shrimp tank or the new SPEC (III or V)????

I kind of like my betta to have room to roam. But if I have the SPEC III, I can actually placed it next to my reading space in the living room.....

Oh, thanks for offer for SPEC III Light, hold that thought, I might get it. But it will not work with SPEC II because SPEC III & V LED need a mounting bracket on the tank.
broke down and got the SPEC V for $61, with PetCo Rewards $ & coupons + sale price

will work on it later this weekend, maybe...
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #32 
BasilBetta87

Simply add a Fluval Prefilter Sponge to the outflow, this will slow the flow alot.
BasilBetta87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #33 
tekkguy

Quote:
broke down and got the SPEC V for $61, with PetCo Rewards $ & coupons + sale price

will work on it later this weekend, maybe...
That's a really great price!
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #34 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
That's a really great price!
Yes it was, PetCo is evil
Old 03-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #35 
nobetta

Quote:
I like the set up with the rocks/ plants. Are the plants real or fake?

Since your betta is a very nice blue, I think it blends with the black background and the color loses its "pop" factor. Have you thought of using a lighter color background?

My Fred used to love to swim/surf against the outflow currents. Some posts on this board confirms that some SPEC owners have the same "phenomenon".

If it bugs you, try rubber-banding a Fluval pre-filter sponge to the out flow, it will slow down the speed of the current. My amano and snail feeds on the sponge a lot.
I will consider that. I just want to make sure it is not harmful for him to do. Another user pointed out that he has no surface level hide which might be why he hangs out there. I will keep an eye on it. Thank you again! Oh also plants are fake. This is my first tank and betta so I wanted to start small.

Thank you Mr2KiEu. I wanted a simple, strong, and balanced look.

Last edited by nobetta; 03-01-2013 at 09:37 PM.
nobetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #36 
Jeri

It's really nice to see a thread specifically for Specs! I have 4 set up. 3 with Bettas in them & 1 that's cycling in preparation for another. Mine are all planted with real plants & my guys love them! As for the strong flow, I set them on the lowest setting & then put a small slit in the plastic tube. Cuts the flow down to perfect. I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how.
Jeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #37 
daylily

I have a Spec V. My Betta was in it for a few months, but he is in a temporary 2 gallon Critter Keeper now.

I have 15 gallon community tank and had a couple Endlers in there that were driving the tank crazy - so moved the betta out of the Spec V to move the Endlers in.

Now I need to figure out something for the betta. Am probably going to get another Spec V --- but....

Wondered how the Spec III is for a betta? Since it is less weight, it would be better for where I plan to put it.

Also I had trouble with my betta sleeping up against the "slots" on the Spec V filter intake, and it was tearing his fins. I took out everything else that could possibly be doing it.... so that was the only thing else. He would stick himself to the intake and sleep there, despite having a lot of plants to sleep on.

If I get a Spec V - I can remove the bio rings from the one I have, and another pack from one of the filters on my 15 for "instant" cycle help. I think the Spec III takes some flat filter pack things, not the same as the V?

My local pet store has a small Fluval on sale - but it just does not look big enough for a betta to me. I forget the exact model now - but it was less than 12" square - was perhaps 11x9x7.

To get a Spec V, I need to order online and pay more, or drive an hour and a half one way to a big fish store where I can get one for about $70. That's probably what I would do, so I can get substrate and some plants for it.

Just want some advice on which one to get.
daylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #38 
Otterfun

Space & easier maintenance for betta : SPEC V and can throw in some RCS or amano.

but the SPEC III dimensions are not bad and if you have a space problem, it is not a bad alternative, but you will need to be careful with WC because it is smaller.

SPEC II, the smallest one, is about 1.6g and I think it is a little tall and cramped.

I notice that footprint (surface area) is more important than volume to allow space for the betta to thrive and swim.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #39 
Jeri

Oh, wow! I never in a million years would have thought about the intake sucking in and tearing up their fins!! Mine sleep up there all the time! Shoot! Now I have to figure something out with that.
Jeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #40 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeri View Post
Oh, wow! I never in a million years would have thought about the intake sucking in and tearing up their fins!! Mine sleep up there all the time! Shoot! Now I have to figure something out with that.
Tekkguy put a plastic card near the intake at the bottom of the tank (filter block side) but sticking it into the substrate. You can use the plastic card that visa sends out for pre-approval. Then stick it close to (1/4") to the intake with the raise numbers side facing the intake to allow space for water to go it. If you size it, make sure there are no sharp edges.

Tags
betta, fluval, nano, planted, spec