Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #541 
jamesthegator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpenajr View Post
As requested:

Elbow: http://zoomed.com/ecom/ProductDetail...65&category=36

Spray Bar:
The site lists two links; Also, I do not see the plastic plug listed here; I am assuming they sell it together with this PTC-13 assembly. Call zoomed for clarification.

http://zoomed.com/ecom/ProductDetail...95&category=36
http://zoomed.com/ecom/ProductDetail...68&category=36

Plastic Plug: Assuming it is sold as part of the Spray Bar Assembly. Call zoomed for clarification.

Suction Cup w/ Clip: http://zoomed.com/ecom/ProductDetail...59&category=36
Hi all! Thanks for all of the great advice! I am going to try this mod on my Spec V. I just ordered the parts today! Right now I am using the foam filter over the output method. It works to keep the flow down, and my betta, shrimp and plants all seem happy, but I get so much muck at the top of the water line. Will the flow from this mod help with that? Any other recommendations? I think it's a biofilm - almost oil looking (with rainbow color characteristics).

Anyway, thanks again for all of the great inspiration from this thread!
jamesthegator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #542 
BlueArwen

So Petco.com has the Fluval Spec III for 52.87 and then there is a free shipping and $10 off going on, if anyone is interested.
BlueArwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:34 PM   #543 
frogman1980

still working all the bugs out of the way i want my spec v set up. the output from the filter is the last thing i need to tackle. right now im using the sponge in the nozzle method but i really dont want to keep it that way.

however, i did figure out a ways to stop my betta from damaging his fins on the intake grill. if someone else i posted this sorry i never made it all the way through this thread.

i used the plastic mesh and made a box out of it. i cut the back out of the box and zip tied it to the grill. it doesnt restrict the water flow and keeps Rehab from damaging his fins.
frogman1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:54 AM   #544 
jsalexson4689

Does anyone have any advice on getting rid of brown algae on aquarium decorations? Like on silk plants and other decorations. I checked all of the water condition levels with the API Freshwater Mast Test Kit, everything is normal. Even the Nitrite and Nitrate levels which is what other sources has indicated to be the cause of the brown algae. I have scrubbed the plants clean a few times and thoroughly cleaned the tank but within a week or two the algae returns.
jsalexson4689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:35 AM   #545 
BlueArwen

I bought the smallest gold algae eater I ould find and made sure there were lots of hiding places for him. The color contrast between him and my light blue veil tail is very nice. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...938&pcatid=938
BlueArwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #546 
WhitneyLin

So I picked up a surprise betta last night and had to quickly set up my Fluval Spec V. Just wanna make sure im not missing anything and doing something to damage my pump.

I have some of the hard craft mesh zip tied over the intake and a pre filter sponge over the outflow. I have the flow turned up to about medium and it makes a slow flow through the sponge that my boy doesnt seem bothered by. The water level in the filter compartment is slightly lower than the tank, but not by too much. Im keeping the tank pretty full. The pump does make some noise though... not sure if its the right noise since my only experience is a tetra whisper filter...

Is there anything else I should be doing? I know someplace in this thread it was mentioned about blowing the pump or something... but I dont have time to go through the thread since we are out with family for the holiday. :\ I can at least check this on my phone periodically. Would definitely appreciate any help so I can fix anything needed on any brief time i'll be home.
WhitneyLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:16 AM   #547 
synop5is

Hi!

What a great site and thread, I have just bought my first fluval spec this weekend! I got myself a Fluval Spec V (19L) in white and paid 59.99 for it so think I did alright.

I actually only purchased it as the Aquaone Betta Trio I have on order is out of stock with the wholesaler and its likely to be quite a while for them to get new units shipped from China.

I have read with some interest the filter mods etc people have done, but was wondering has anyone had much success dividing the Spec V? and if anyone has tried it what are the the biggest issues in doing so. I'm not sure if I am going to divide mine, I have considered it. My biggest concern is the limited space it would give. I sometimes think that even my Eheim 8gal cube is small for my crown tail.
synop5is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #548 
jsalexson4689

I was hoping someone with some planted tank background could answer a question for me. I decided to convert my Spec III to a planted tank, I did a lot of extensive research and purchased everything I needed.

I ordered 5 varieties of plants and they came in today along with the plant substrate I bought (CaribSea Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate). The upgraded light I purchased, (Fluval Mini Power Compact Lamp 13W), Fertilizer
(Seachem Flourish) and Carbon (Seachem Flourish Excel)dont arrive until tomorrow.

Should I wait until these items arrive or should I get them out of the shipping bags asap and into the tank now? And take care of the light upgrade, fertilizer and carbon tomorrow?

Last edited by jsalexson4689; 07-28-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:16 PM   #549 
Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by synop5is View Post
Hi!

What a great site and thread, I have just bought my first fluval spec this weekend! I got myself a Fluval Spec V (19L) in white and paid 59.99 for it so think I did alright.

I actually only purchased it as the Aquaone Betta Trio I have on order is out of stock with the wholesaler and its likely to be quite a while for them to get new units shipped from China.

I have read with some interest the filter mods etc people have done, but was wondering has anyone had much success dividing the Spec V? and if anyone has tried it what are the the biggest issues in doing so. I'm not sure if I am going to divide mine, I have considered it. My biggest concern is the limited space it would give. I sometimes think that even my Eheim 8gal cube is small for my crown tail.

congrats on your new Spec tank! and as for dividing it, I think it would be ok, though the flow might not get to the other side of the tank. I have a 5 gallon split and it does seem a bit tight for a CT but for my Plakats, it works well. I hope this helps and welcome to the forum. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalexson4689 View Post
I was hoping someone with some planted tank background could answer a question for me. I decided to convert my Spec III to a planted tank, I did a lot of extensive research and purchased everything I needed.

I ordered 5 varieties of plants and they came in today along with the plant substrate I bought (CaribSea Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate). The upgraded light I purchased, (Fluval Mini Power Compact Lamp 13W), Fertilizer
(Seachem Flourish) and Carbon (Seachem Flourish Excel)dont arrive until tomorrow.

Should I wait until these items arrive or should I get them out of the shipping bags asap and into the tank now? And take care of the light upgrade, fertilizer and carbon tomorrow?
I would set up your tank now putting the plants in. They should be fine with the LED light the Spec came with until the other things arrive. =) or what you can do is keep the tank close to a window for the plants to have light. If you wait too long I would be worried of the plants to get stressed. Though that us my theory, unless someone else can help. ^^

Last edited by Tree; 07-28-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:03 PM   #550 
jsalexson4689

Thanks for the input! I am adding the substrate now, I have seen that it should be 2-3 inches. I have 2 in there now and I honestly dont want to add anymore because it seems very deep for a tank this small as it is. Should 2" be enough? I'm planting Bacopa Monnieri (Moneywort), Dwarf Hairgrass,
Hemianthus callitrichoides (Dwarf Baby Tears) and
Cryptocoryne Parva.

Tags
betta, fluval, nano, planted, spec