Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #1 
Fenghuang

Fin rot, tail biting, or something else?

I'm kind of at a loss here. I try to keep the tank as clean as possible, yet Ares's tail started fraying. At first, it was just tiny holes. Then, small tears and now, his tail is all ragged. Is it fin rot or is he biting his tail? I hadn't seen him biting it.

Sorry for the bad cellphone picture. Still sick and can't get my camera because moving around too much makes me dizzy.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons divided into two even 2.5 gallon sections
What temperature is your tank? 82 degrees Fahrenheit
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Another male betta, on the other side of a divider

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet Flakes/Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice daily, fast once a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Normally once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Probably around 50 to 60 percent
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? 5 ml of API Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Tattered, ragged caudal. Started off as tiny holes and gradually increased.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No change in behavior that I know of. He is a very active fish and always has been. Never stays still.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About two weeks now
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?Increased water changes, added more Stress Coat.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? None
How old is your fish (approximately)? Uncertain. Got him from Petsmart January 18, but he does not look very old so...3 to 6 months?

Last edited by Fenghuang; 02-12-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #2 
Fenghuang

Before comparison:

That was from when I first got him, last month. His tail was like that up until recently. Please help him. I feel like he was in better condition when I found him in Petsmart in a dirty cup. What am I doing wrong? /:
Old 02-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #3 
Naladari

This may sound like a strange question, but how is the other male doing on the other side of the divider?
Naladari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #4 
Fenghuang

Well, they do share the same water, so I think it's a relevant question to ask... Percy seems to be doing fine. No changes to behavior or appearance.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #5 
Naladari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
I think it's a fair question, they do share the same water... Percy seems to be doing fine. No changes to behavior or appearance.
I know im new here, but I helped save a male from finrot before and I would say it is finrot but that shriveling look to his fins now.

I would put him into a quarantine tank if you haven't already and wait for one of the more educated members to respond.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #6 
Fenghuang

I compulsively edit my posts, as you can see...

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I don't have an extra tank though. And even if I put him in another container, I do not have a heater to keep him warm.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #7 
Naladari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
I compulsively edit my posts, as you can see...

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I don't have an extra tank though. And even if I put him in another container, I do not have a heater to keep him warm.
Im not sure, If its finrot, I presume it is cause of the black edges, you need to do salt treatments but i dont know how that will affect your other fish.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #8 
Fenghuang

I decided to take him out and put him in a quart container with an anubias for some cover. I know it's not a lot of volume but it's wide and all I have right now. He's currently in my bathroom, which is the warmest room in the house (when I am not as dizzy and nauseated, I'll put some holes in it and use some string to hang/float it in my heated turtle tank). I'll do water changes daily, but aquarium salt and a more suitable quarantine tank will have to wait because I cannot drive and my parents do not care about my bettas enough to take me to the store on the whim.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #9 
Crowntails

I don't think you need to move him to a new tank. Keep him nice and warm. 81 degrees or so. When my betta was constipated, and we couldn't go to the store because it was really late, people recommended epson salts. I'm not sure if I will help here or not.

What kind of plants do you have in the tank? Any ones you think he could tear his fin on?
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #10 
Fenghuang

I have a few live plants. Anubias barteri, Anubias nana, Anubias congensis, and Anubias afzelii... Yeah, just various types of anubias. I can't imagine the leaves being sharp enough for him to tear his fins on. I've been meaning to add to the tank, but that's pretty much all that's in the tank right now as far as decorations go. I have a piece of mesh covering part of my divider because I cut one of the slits in the plastic too big. It can be seen in my avatar. Could that hurt him?