Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #1 
Naladari

So I gave it a day

This is my third thread about this topic sorry for being a pest.
I have it down to some sort of internal infection. I dont know if its a gram negative or positive.

He has an inch long string of puss coming from his chest. I couldnt find anything in 1 or 2 about treatment.
I know I need to remove and replace the carbon from my filter. Which means the end of my cycle.
Also if and when he gets better how do I clean his things, his plant, house, heater etc.
Should I do a full gravel replacement?
Naladari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #2 
Azurelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naladari View Post
This is my third thread about this topic sorry for being a pest.
I have it down to some sort of internal infection. I dont know if its a gram negative or positive.

He has an inch long string of puss coming from his chest. I couldnt find anything in 1 or 2 about treatment.
I know I need to remove and replace the carbon from my filter. Which means the end of my cycle.
Also if and when he gets better how do I clean his things, his plant, house, heater etc.
Should I do a full gravel replacement?
If it's truly an internal infection, I believe they make medicated food to treat that.

What kind of filter do you have? Changing out the carbon shouldn't kill your cycle, it's a necessary evolution every 2-4 weeks that most filters should be built around since carbon only absorbs so much ammonia before it needs to be replaced. The bacteria do reside in the filter, but they also reside in the gravel and ornament crevices and other places.

If you change out all the gravel, your cycle really will take a hit.

I don't know much about pus on the chest, is it mucus or slime?

Check the diseases on this website here (I'm on the first protozoan page, the Disease section will be under the tab at the top labeled "Basic Care")
http://bettacare101.com/protozoandisease/
Azurelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #3 
Naladari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurelove View Post
If it's truly an internal infection, I believe they make medicated food to treat that.

What kind of filter do you have? Changing out the carbon shouldn't kill your cycle, it's a necessary evolution every 2-4 weeks that most filters should be built around since carbon only absorbs so much ammonia before it needs to be replaced. The bacteria do reside in the filter, but they also reside in the gravel and ornament crevices and other places.

If you change out all the gravel, your cycle really will take a hit.

I don't know much about pus on the chest, is it mucus or slime?

Check the diseases on this website here (I'm on the first protozoan page, the Disease section will be under the tab at the top labeled "Basic Care")
http://bettacare101.com/protozoandisease/
Well im completely stumped, I turned up my filter and air stone so my water is more clear than when I put it in. Also my fish has been keeping his fins up. As in not flared but up...like healthy for the first time since well...ever. However he has this inch long strand of white who knows what coming from his chest from what used to look like a pimple. I heard of bettas getting tape worm but idk. His stomach is inflated but as this string leaves his body his stomach gets smaller. Idk what to think of it. I fear for his life but I almost feel it might be better off to let it run its course and his immune system might fight it off. Thats a horrifying thought for me because the first fish I have helped raise since I was 10 got a horrible finrot infection and now I live by salt treatments. I dont understand why his fins are open when his swims but hides and only goes up for air once per hour or two. He wont eat. His gill are moving. He moves as little as possible. Is he fighting the infection? I looked all over for this type of infection and the only thing I found was on a betta fighting forum. Which scares me even more. I understand that its their bread and butter but I dont fell they really care for their betta like the people on this site do, if he dies ill be devastated. I feel like im responsible for a living thing and thats a HUGE deal. The scary part is he is swimming fine his dorsal is up his fins are spread like a healthy betta but he has this puss coming from his chest thats and inch long. I dont know what to do! He does a few circles in his little cave, gets comfortable and sits there until he needs air again...

It looks like Hexamita on that site...

Last edited by Naladari; 02-12-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #4 
Aluka

doesn't sound like pus, pus is usually liquid. Sounds like a interanl parasite. They make meds for that.

Internal Parasites
•Symptoms: Betta is losing weight but eating normally and acting lethargic.
He/she might dart or rub against decor.
•Treatment: These can be hard to fight and can get confused with the fatal disease Tuberculosis. Perform daily 100% water changes (if possible, for larger aquariums change 3/4). Make sure you carefully clean the gravel to remove eggs/larva. Aq.Salt does not seem to be affective against internal parasites. I find combining ES with an anti-parasite med is best. Treat with 1-2tsp/gal Epsom Salt combined with either Jungle’s Anti-Parasite Pellets, Jungle’s Parasite Clear Fizz tabs or API General Cure. PP is also effective against internal parasites.
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:16 AM   #5 
Naladari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluka View Post
doesn't sound like pus, pus is usually liquid. Sounds like a interanl parasite. They make meds for that.

Internal Parasites
•Symptoms: Betta is losing weight but eating normally and acting lethargic.
He/she might dart or rub against decor.
•Treatment: These can be hard to fight and can get confused with the fatal disease Tuberculosis. Perform daily 100% water changes (if possible, for larger aquariums change 3/4). Make sure you carefully clean the gravel to remove eggs/larva. Aq.Salt does not seem to be affective against internal parasites. I find combining ES with an anti-parasite med is best. Treat with 1-2tsp/gal Epsom Salt combined with either Jungle’s Anti-Parasite Pellets, Jungle’s Parasite Clear Fizz tabs or API General Cure. PP is also effective against internal parasites.
Hes not eating at all.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:29 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Let him flare. sew if he can pass this "parasite" by himself... try general cure...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:14 PM   #7 
callistra

Please fill this out: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote