Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #1 
labloverl

Removing algae from cycled tank?

Is algae bad for the health of a tank? I have a divided 10 gallon housing 3 males, and algae collects on the back and sides of the tank as well as on decor and the dividers. It is not so bad that the algae just keeps growing. The tank has been running for over a year, and it's just now gotten bad enough to clean (I think). It's not really from the lights or sunlight either. Anyways, I plan to do a good cleaning on the tank, without breaking the cycle of course. What is the best way to remove the algae?
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #2 
tekkguy

Get 3 nerite snails, and put one in with each betta. They do not reproduce in fresh water, so they are safe to add without worrying about a population explosion. They LOVE algae and will keep your tank clean.

You might think about adding some live plants also. Live plants will use up the nutrients faster and more efficiently than algae, so the algae just won't have a chance.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #3 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by labloverl View Post
Is algae bad for the health of a tank? I have a divided 10 gallon housing 3 males, and algae collects on the back and sides of the tank as well as on decor and the dividers. It is not so bad that the algae just keeps growing. The tank has been running for over a year, and it's just now gotten bad enough to clean (I think). It's not really from the lights or sunlight either. Anyways, I plan to do a good cleaning on the tank, without breaking the cycle of course. What is the best way to remove the algae?
My amano shrimps and golden mystery snail eat algae, but to be honest, they are not the most diligent and thorough in their job ethics...

I use a turkey baster to stir and vacuum those black ones on top of the soil. This method works better thank livestock. Also, the plants grow better afterwards too.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Do you know what kind of algae....

Some species of algae is expected, normal and a sign of a healthy system-With that said, since this is a closed system-manual removal of excessive amount of algae on the viewing walls, live plant leaves and some decoration will be needed on a regular bases.

Some species of algae can help the tank look more natural by softening edges-as well as provide a place for microorganisms to colonize for the Betta to graze on and to help maintain a healthy balance.

Personally, I like to leave algae on my back walls and on driftwood-I do remove what little forms on plant leaves-but that is very little.

IMO/E-unless you like and want other livestock-like shrimp, snails and fish to assist with algae cleanup/control-I wouldn't recommend adding other livestock. Reason being-our tanks will never be able to supple the nutrients for them and they will need supplemental feedings to meet their nutritional needs-Most algae eating shrimp, snails and fish only eat certain type of algae anyway. Some species of algae is good IMO/E-its just sometimes we have to remove it on occasion-just like water change needs...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #5 
labloverl

I actually do not know what kind it is. It's just a dirty green/brown color. :/

It is mostly on the sides of the tank and the back wall. The front is pretty much clean except for one small corner where the sun peeks through the window and hits it. I don't mind it growing on the back because I have a picture of a mossy background on the tank anyways.

I just didn't know if I needed to clean it all off or not.
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote