Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #1 
TommyBermuda

Keeping a tank warm

We live in Bermuda and it very rarely drops below 70 (even 75), even in winter. We have our Betta in a 5-gallon tank with filtration and water tested this morning was 'perfect' according to our local aquarium shop (the owner is a really good friend and KNOWS her aquarium chemistry!)

Anyway, thanks to the cold front in the North east, we've got some major wind going on and, as a result, the temperature has dropped suddenly. When I came home, I realized that the tank temperature had dropped, although only slightly. Because it is so normally so warm here, we don't have a heater for our tank. I have wrapped it in some towels to serve as insulation, the tank has a lid, and there is a lamp on the tank as well.

Any suggestions about what else I can do? I will imagine that the air temperature will be back to normal in a day or so. And no, we don't have a heater in our house (central or space).
TommyBermuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #2 
Crowntails

Can you buy a heater? Even though you say the tank stays around 70-75 degrees, you still need a heater to keep the tank at 78-80 degrees.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #3 
TommyBermuda

Not this week, sadly. Costs are very much inflated here because of shipping and duty and then the shop having to make money. The cheapest heater I can get at the moment is almost $50 (stocks limited sometimes, too).

That 75 temp is normally the outside AIR* temp - the tank usually stays around or just below the 80 degree mark in the winter.

* edited
Old 02-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #4 
valen1014

I also keep my tanks without a heater because the temperature at my house is warm enough to keep the tanks at 77 F day and night. I do have one or two heaters though and at times like this, when it's cold, I just fill up a large tank place a heater and float them in cups while I wait for it to pass OR I put them in a divided tank and heat the tank. But since that's not an option, I think the blankets help a bit and if you can get a cardboard box and some crumpled newspapers and just place it over the tanks (i'm not sure what size tanks you have but this will work if they are small).

* sorry just saw that you said 5 gallons... so you might have some cardboard boxes laying around about that size ^^;
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #5 
TommyBermuda

Thanks for your help. The temperature has already come up a bit with the light and the towels. I also managed to talk to my dad - he suggested to toss the towels in the dryer for a bit and that has helped, too. Red is looking much happier right now!

Next time we're in the US I might look at picking up a small heater, but for only occasional use, US$50 or so is just too much at the moment.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #6 
TommyBermuda

It amazingly dropped 20 degrees outside last night, inside about 10... Ended up staying up half the night making sure Red's tank stayed the right temperature... Tired this morning, but he seems to be very happy!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #7 
TommyBermuda

Question

Thanks for your advice yesterday.

It was a long night, keeping the tank warm! However, I went out this morning and took most everything off the tank and when I came back, I replace the thermometer. It's now 85. I've moved Red back to his original place in the Dining room (I moved him into the kitchen since it was a little warmer there). I would assume the temp should drop soon, now that I've moved him back to his normal room. Otherwise, if it doesn't in the next hour or so, should I cycle in some cooler water?

Thanks!!!
Old 02-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #8 
TommyBermuda

To clarify...

The temperature rose up to 85 while I was out this morning - it was definitely lower when I left.

Also, I had moved him to the warmer room last night when the temperature dropped drastically and suddenly, so he's now back in the dining room which is a little cooler.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #9 
aemaki09

If just let it lower on its own. He should definitely be okay at 85* for a short time.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #10 
TommyBermuda

Thank you! It has, its now about 79-80 and steady, and he's seems to be finally happy with the temperature! What a long 2 days it has been!